Studebaker parts and service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker parts and service

Hello, Has anyone else had bad dealings with Studebaker parts and service in Long Beach.I have been working on a 61 hawk for about 8 months and what a NIGHTMARE.I took the engine to these guys in July of 2011 for a rebuild. I was told that it would take about 6 weeks to do ,it took 14 weeks. They charged me $6000 and it still is not right. It blows oil all over the top of the engine and they don't really seem interested in making it right. Not what I expected at all for $6000

I have not used them, but did notice in the last TW that there adress was no longer Long Beach but in Pacific Palisdes.

Sorry you are having trouble with them, that is alot of money to spend. If no response I would contact BBB.

Mark

Comment

Did you mean to say 6K ?

Comment

If this person is an advertiser in Turning wheels you may have recourse as all are held to a standard of service. Contact Bob Halgren who is the Arbiter for TW advertising complaints. His contact info can be found on page 49 of the March 2012 issue of Turning Wheels.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, your'e not the only one to suffer huge delays from a professional rebuilder. My engine in my 57 hawk (six!) took about 6 weeks over the time the first time and then after I took it back to the rebuilder (they put in caps backwards or something) it took another 6-8 weeks to finally get it right. This was not the same group of people you are talking about, though.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Having been happy with the business I've had with them in the past, I'm sure there's more to this story. Knowing them and the ties they have to SDC~ on the local, National, and International level, I will wait for more information before I change my opinion of them.

StudeDave '57
            Last edited by StudeDave57; 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: changed words (typo)
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

$6,000 US dollars ?

That is strong money for a rebuild..

I would be "mildly" upset at much less $$

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                $6,000 US dollars ?That is strong money for a rebuild.
                I would be "mildly" upset at much less $$
                The bill must have included way more than just the Engine.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I called Bill Oliver last week when I was in that area & spoke with him on the 562 area code number. He never said anything about closing the shop, relocating or anything & if Mark hadn'd mentioned another address in post #2 I wouldn't have had a clue. By the way, the ad says Rancho Palos Verdes, not Pacific Palisades. If anyone is in the Long Beach harbor area maybe they could go by & check if he's still open there or just call the 562 number.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    Having been happy with the business I've had with them in the past, I'm sure there's more to this story. Knowing them and the ties they have to SDC~ on the local, National, and International level, I will wait for more information before I change my opinion of them.

StudeDave '57
                    As of right now this is the way I feel about the business, been there a long time, Bill is well known in the ranks of SDC, I have had dealing with him over the years but never any work done, wonder what he has to say about this transaction ??
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Bill relocated his residence, not his business.

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;627251]The bill must have included way more than just the Engine.[/QUOT

That included the rebuild and the clutch only.

Comment

I would suggest dealing with them the way you would with any other shop or store you are unhappy with. Talk to them, or the BBB or something.

This is not the best place to vent about them.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

StudeDave '57
                            There is alot more to this story. If you would like me to go into more detail, I will. Lets start with having to pull the motor twice ,blowing a freeze plug out,again-oil spraying out of the oil filler tube because of the blow by,Coolant leaks at the head gaskets,leaving an oil galley plug out,low oil pressure and a rod knock, broken or damaged timing gears[ yes after the so called rebuild], various loose nuts and bolts[ including a stripped bolt in the timing cover behind the balancer], which I had to repair and I still have much more to say, but I will stop there for now,again not to bore anyone with all of the details. A PROFESSIONAL...........REALLY????

Comment

6K or $6000 is there really a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X