SDC meet, San Luis Obispo 1969. On YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool; thanks for posting.

'Most interesting were the horse-drawn vehicles actually being pulled by a team. I don't remember ever seeing horse-drawn vehicles at a Studebaker meet that were in motion, being pulled by horses! Neat.

In fact, were there two different horse-drawn vehicles in that video, but pulled by the same team?

'Hope someone gets inspired to do that at another meet some time. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Very cool; thanks for posting.

'Most interesting were the horse-drawn vehicles actually being pulled by a team. I don't remember ever seeing horse-drawn vehicles at a Studebaker meet that were in motion, being pulled by horses! Neat.

In fact, were there two different horse-drawn vehicles in that video, but pulled by the same team?

No, those are the same wagon. The last minute of the film is actually taken from 35mm slide and thus the color is much better than in the film.
      I believe that wagon was at at least one more meet.

Comment

Thanks for sharing i think I missed that show, I was not born yet. I do remember the 1915 car whistle, probably from another show though. I also remember the 57 wagon, now in the stable. very cool film!!
        Last edited by (S); 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          sounds like a job for... "STUDECLUNKER" !!!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I did not see any trailers in the background, so am thinking a much higher percentage of Studes were actually DRIVEN to the meets back then. I was driving a black 56J that year in Kentucky, a senior in high school. About the only car anyone trailered back then was a non-op car.

Comment

To: Joe Hall,------------ Do You happen to remember a fellow by the name of Tom Harton? I believe He lived in North Carolina and drove 56J's back then. I found out about the SDC through Him a lot of years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: Joe Hall,------------ Do You happen to remember a fellow by the name of Tom Harton? I believe He lived in North Carolina and drove 56J's back then. I found out about the SDC through Him a lot of years ago!
                No, but at that time I had not been out of KY other than across the river to Indiana. There was a 56 Power Hawk in town, but other than that, not sure if I ever even saw another Hawk of any kind back then. I first heard of, and joined the SDC in 1985, while living in SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM View Post
                  So you are the owner of Fred Nelson's car? I often wondered what happened to it. How long have you had it?
                  My 54 shown there was in Folsom Ca last I heard.
                  Yes Alex I own Fred Nelson's blue coupe but there has been some changes to it since those pictures were taken, in fact Fred wrecked it 3 times in his life time but loved the car so much he keep fixing it, after the 2nd is when he chopped the top 2" in front and made the engine a clone R-3 to sorts still had the 3 speed with overdrive then he called it his 6 gears he passed away at age 48 way to young but that is what drinking to much will do to you, the car was up on blocks wrecked when he passed , the last time it was shown was at the Queen Mary International scored in the 390's for the custom class, his son Taylor was 15 then and went with Fred and they played around like two little kids out in the parking lot was a load gas powered little car screaming around making a ton of noise until the security shut them down for the night, also fishing out of the port holes from their room, after he passed he dad fixed the car , I gave him a new frame to put under it , it was finished and given to Fred's son Taylor when he was about 23 or 24 years old Taylor removed the 3 speed and the tube headers for a 4 speed and R-3 headers that's the way it sits now in my garage, Taylor got caught up with a bad lender and lost his house and that is when I got the car, he still comes by now and then to look at it but has no regrets about selling it because he is building one for himself the way he wants it, he is a very good kid has an Avanti 64 , a 53 "C" cab truck with a Dodge Red Ram Hemi and 2 53-54's he is working on, he got the Avanti and the 53 truck from me when he wanted to get back into Studebakers, just goes to show you what a small world it is when it comes to Studebakers. here is what the coupe looks like now.

Last edited by candbstudebakers; 03-06-2012, 11:06 PM.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Hello all you old diehards: Amazing to see all the names of us oldtimers on this new fangled tech stuff. Its not surprising that a lot of you guys seem like family to me, because I've known a lot of you for over 45 years. This movie sure brings back some great memories. It also brings some saddness when I remember the names of the guys that were there with us but are passed now.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

To bring a pair of horses and a wagon or buggy to a meet today would be quite a chore and would probably take 2 or 3 members to team up to bring both the horses & wagon or buggy. But i'd like to see it also. Few in the club would even have horses and a Studebaker.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I did not see any trailers in the background, so am thinking a much higher percentage of Studes were actually DRIVEN to the meets back then. I was driving a black 56J that year in Kentucky, a senior in high school. About the only car anyone trailered back then was a non-op car.
                        EVERYONE drove their cars to the meets then (except maybe Dave Dudey and he drove to closer meets). Most cars were their daily drivers.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

[QUOTE=the last time it was shown was at the Queen Mary International scored in the 390's for the custom class,
                          Glad to hear his son's are doing OK.
                          Great pictures. It looks just like it did at the show in Long Beach--
                          [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Oe1-q0mJs[/url]

Comment

Working...
                          X