Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDC meet, San Luis Obispo 1969. On YouTube

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SDC meet, San Luis Obispo 1969. On YouTube

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX6F...bL0OVzKR3-zmHX

    It was Super8 film so the quality is not good, but better than nothing.

  • #2
    That is very very very cooool Alex!!!! Thanks for posting it.

    It is sorta odd seeing my parents and my Parkview, but not together.
    I only know that Wagonaire they are loading or unloading from pictures.
    But that Parkview has been around as long as I can remember...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

    3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

    past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

    past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a nice old film. How'd I'd like to go back in time and stroll through THAT flea market!

      Comment


      • #4
        I love how no one really notices the 64/65 four door drive in ... "What is so special about that? It is only five years old!"

        Great find and thanks so much for posting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Alex for posting that, it has special significance to those of us that were there in 1969, I know that Paul Johnson (53K) will be interested to see his late '64 Canadian built, White Daytona Wagonaire all the way from the East Coast, that he has owned since new shown there in the background of some of the shots of my slightly modified, freshly re-painted Avanti Red '63 Daytona Wagonaire that competed against his original car.

          Also the YELLOW Avanti in the background of several shots with the R2 with a R3 Air Box and Hilibrand Mag wheels is one of 2 Yellow repainted Avantis that were on the West Coast, this one MAY be the one that now belongs to John Metzker and has been restored to its original Avanti Red.

          It was interesting to say the least to see my Blond, boy next door, 28 year old face there at the Banquet table next to my Wife with the Dark Green dress on, leaning over to get her purse, Camera or something, you can also see another old friend and his wife there; Tom Innis from the Solvang, CA area.

          I can't believe it was THAT long ago, looking in the mirror I look a bit different now,<GG>!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes Rich,

            We look a lot different now. (:-)
            Also at that table are Tom Fehn and his wife, and my wife Elma is at the end of the table.

            Comment


            • #7
              No worries Rich. San Luis Obispo doesnt look the same either!

              Rich, my #2 Avanti has been painted yellow (which is now flaking off) but it appears to have been turquise originally. Could it be one of the 2 yellow Avanti's you remember? I bought it from a guy in San Pedro. Name now unknown.

              Great video. May I too add my thanks Alex.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

              Comment


              • #8
                I noticed a lot of cars with black wall tires.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I noticed a lot of cars with black wall tires.[/QUOTE]

                  Roots of CASO'S
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Thanks Alex for posting that, it has special significance to those of us that were there in 1969, I know that Paul Johnson (53K) will be interested to see his late '64 Canadian built, White Daytona Wagonaire all the way from the East Coast, that he has owned since new shown there in the background of some of the shots of my slightly modified, freshly re-painted Avanti Red '63 Daytona Wagonaire that competed against his original car.

                    Also the YELLOW Avanti in the background of several shots with the R2 with a R3 Air Box and Hilibrand Mag wheels is one of 2 Yellow repainted Avantis that were on the West Coast, this one MAY be the one that now belongs to John Metzker and has been restored to its original Avanti Red.

                    It was interesting to say the least to see my Blond, boy next door, 28 year old face there at the Banquet table next to my Wife with the Dark Green dress on, leaning over to get her purse, Camera or something, you can also see another old friend and his wife there; Tom Innis from the Solvang, CA area.

                    I can't believe it was THAT long ago, looking in the mirror I look a bit different now,<GG>!
                    Rich , me and my family were there in fact we drove down with Paul Johnson and his wife Karen and the boys, I did not see a picture of my 65 Yukon Gold Daytona with
                    the black interior, still have the interior, also my 53 custom is there when owned by past owner at the 9:50 mark of the film, and by the way the hotel still looks the same now, thanks for showing Alex
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow Alex. Thank you for posting that cool historic footage. I was 5 yrs old then.
                      The Madonna Inn looks about the same still.
                      Rich, I love that red wagonaire.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        Wow Alex. Thank you for posting that cool historic footage. I was 5 yrs old then.
                        The Madonna Inn looks about the same still.
                        Rich, I love that red wagonaire.
                        Here is what she looked like after I got rid of the Michelin X tube type little 6.70X15X Peugeot tires the prior owned had on it.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagonaire in Redondo.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1672113
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AlexM View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX6F...bL0OVzKR3-zmHX

                          It was Super8 film so the quality is not good, but better than nothing.
                          Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. Thanks so much for posting. I will archive it for sure. That was my first zone meet.
                          I still haven't gotten over StudeRich beating my original wagon with one that had Ford 289 (?) emblems on it. And, Bob Peterson, well that shows we have known each other for, uh, forever.
                          Interesting that StudeRich had Michelin tube-type radials on his wagon (very unusual in those days). So did I except mine were 185x15s. My wife had them put on while I was in Viet Nam and the tire shop put on too small a size. I still ran them over 60,000 miles. That was when my factory original Firestone 500s lasted 10,000 miles on the lava-based highways in Hawaii. I even had them recapped rather than buy a lesser tire. Recaps were done in another 10,000.
                          Seeing all those nice cars and trucks makes me wonder how many survive. In those days you drove your daily driver to the show after just washing it. In fact, we didn't stay at the Madonna Inn. We pulled our 18-foot Shasta travel trailer down from Castro Valley, CA and stayed at the beach in a state park at Pismo Beach. Pulling that 3800 pound trailer back up to Atascadero with the 259 and overdrive was a white knuckle experience, but that's another story.
                          I probably have pictures of that meet somewhere deep in my dusty archives. Makes me want to look for them.
                          Last edited by 53k; 03-06-2012, 08:18 AM.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you can find them, think about posting them here or somewhere we can see them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              Rich , me and my family were there in fact we drove down with Paul Johnson and his wife Karen and the boys, I did not see a picture of my 65 Yukon Gold Daytona with
                              the black interior, still have the interior, also my 53 custom is there when owned by past owner at the 9:50 mark of the film, and by the way the hotel still looks the same now, thanks for showing Alex
                              So you are the owner of Fred Nelson's car? I often wondered what happened to it. How long have you had it?
                              My 54 shown there was in Folsom Ca last I heard.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X