Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Commander trunk lid

Anyone have one lying around? lol

I am unsure if the one on the car can be salvaged or not. Its pretty rough around the edges and sits up about a half inch in the front (closest to the rear window). Not sure if its the hinges or the lid itself that is tweaked. The seal seems to be in great shape for its age.

I will try to get pics tonight when the rains let up.
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Sounds like it is out of adjustment, or the pocket where the hinge bolts is torn from when it is opened without hanging onto it. You can move the tension springs so it does not fly up hard, then remove the lid and weld it up. 64-66 lids are rare, so try to save it before you go shopping.

If you need help, bring it up here and I can fix it.

Comment

Try to save it. Even in California I'm having more luck finding good Wagonaire tailgates than 64-66 trunk lids.
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

1964-1966 sedan type trunk lids were unavailable when Studebaker was still making 1966 models. I have never run across a NOS one. I think that the best that you can do is locate a used one in good condition.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The lid for the 64-66 has been NLA for decades. Rumor has it that the mold was lost or broken in 1964. I do have some of those, but most do need work.Wagonaire tailgates are out there, I just sent a nice one to the L.A. area. If you find a good metal worker, he can cut out the bad and weld in the new. I suggest two patches that meet in the center, do one at a time...... not for a first timer. A 'good novice' could probably repair a lid though.
          Last edited by (S); 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I guess I will see about getting it repaired at some point. Too bad that the mold went AWOL.

IMG_0040 by pirate6213, on Flickr

IMG_0041 by pirate6213, on Flickr

Comment

From what I can see it appears your right deck lid hinge might be bent. If it isnt the hinge then the inner portion of the lid is "puckered" out. A quick (temproary) fix would be to loosen the rearmost bolt on the hinge & slide a shim there. The front bolt would need to be loosened also but not as much. This would angle the deck lid down on the front edge to even with the upper panel. Your deck lid does require alot of work to make it nice & as its been said, they are getting very rare, so hold on to it. Another one in better shape could always be found. I should have looked at the one I saw yesterday but didnt think of it. I was more concerned with the engine parts that car had.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

That is weird since quite a few 1964-66 Lark types were built unless most of the parts cars out there have been crushed.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I read that the line actually stopped for the final time in Canada when they ran out of trunk lids

Comment

LOL I have a spare one of these of a v8... do you still need one?

Comment

How about a hood that was not from a speedster but is the same and would work on one so I am told.

Can't give the darned thing away,

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by mgs174 View Post
                        LOL I have a spare one of these of a v8... do you still need one?
                        Thanks for the offer but I am no longer looking for one. James (Bellingham Studenut) has one for me. I just need to pick it up.

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                        How about a hood that was not from a speedster but is the same and would work on one so I am told.

Can't give the darned thing away,

Dean.
                        If I needed one, I'd take you up on the offer!

Comment

Glad to hear you found one, it's going to look great!

Comment

If new 1957 Chevy bodies can be made, new 1964-66 Studebaker trunk lids can be made. Of course the price would be interesting.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I know it's a long shot, but have you contacted Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International? You never know, he may have what you're looking for from the stock he obtained when he bought out SASCO'S inventory.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X