Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's this for a descriptive Avanti eBay listing (not)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always understood that the round headlight option for '64s was to be only until stock of round headlight body panels was used up. Whether it ever was is an open question and since Avanti production stopped soon after, it's a moot point. I've heard that a very few post serial number R4892 cars were equipped with round headlights, but have seen no proof of that.

I guess it's one of those fun debates but it really solves nothing beyond the exercise of debating it.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I don't know the accuracy of the information on Studebaker-info.org, but according to that site these changes didn't start to be implemented until serial 4709.
      Harvey

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      To: studegary,--- Well, it was (is) a round headlight car without the extra cowl grille. (As a '63 would appear externally). The interior is all black, with the pirates buckles on the door panels. The dash and console have the factory '64
      quasi-woodgrain, and the vent control knobs are round. It also has the improved 1/4 window latches, metal grips in door armrests, and late style interior door lock knobs. The steering wheel and column are brown, But the wheel is not
      'woodgrain' as a true '64 would have. This car is in good shape (last time I saw it). Has been repainted a few times, but never hit hard or modified in any way. What do You think?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        I've always understood that the round headlight option for '64s was to be only until stock of round headlight body panels was used up. Whether it ever was is an open question and since Avanti production stopped soon after, it's a moot point. I've heard that a very few post serial number R4892 cars were equipped with round headlights, but have seen no proof of that.

I guess it's one of those fun debates but it really solves nothing beyond the exercise of debating it.
        I ASSUME that a search of the build sheets should show if a 1964 Avanti was built with optional round headlight enclosures. I don't know if this was done when George K. did his Avanti study that led to the SNM booklet of Avanti facts.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
          I don't know the accuracy of the information on Studebaker-info.org, but according to that site these changes didn't start to be implemented until serial 4709.
          Harvey
          I don't know where this S/N (4709) came from. There WERE some running changes throughout production. 4709 would be mid-June 1963 production. I believe that the end of 1963 production is defined as the end of June 1963 with S/N 4807. The 30 Avantis built in July 1963 are considered to be transition models. The first square headlight bezel was 4892, but it is known that later S/Ns had round headlight bezels.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To: studegary,----------- Something just occured to Me (Dawn breaks over marblehead!) Wondering if a '64 Avanti, orderered with round headlights, would still have the second cowl grille as a 'normal' '64 would have?
            I would think that a '64 Avanti ordered with round headlights would indeed have that second cowl grille due to other '64 design considerations. Would You not agree? This Avanti, (R-4943), was definitely built
            with the '63 round headlights and only a single cowl grille (like a true '63). Although this car has the '64 console features, it does not (obviously) have console ventilation as a true '64 would. This is why I feel that this
            Avanti should to be considered a transition model, even though it was assembled fifty one cars after R-4892.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              I've heard that a very few post serial number R4892 cars were equipped with round headlights, but have seen no proof of that.
              Here is one and if you go to Bob Johnstone's website you will see more.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...4986x1210.html
              Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

To complicate the distinction between 1963 and 1964 Avantis, this is what Studebaker Automotive Sales Corporation said:

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Without being able to examine every Studebaker Avanti in the serial number range of, say, 4700 thru 5000, the question of how many transition model Avantis were built cannot be accurately answered. Truth is,
                  even the production orders for this group may not reveal those details.

Comment

WOW!!!
                    Thanks 53K
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X