Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's this for a descriptive Avanti eBay listing (not)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for a descriptive Avanti eBay listing (not)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item4ab4cfd019
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Looks like a good listing to me. Had all relavent info. Beautiful car btw.

Comment

the additional info and pics were just added a few minutes ago...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Ahh. That makes sense now

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          the additional info and pics were just added a few minutes ago...
          That's what I get for posting too quickly. When I posted there were no pictures and only a one-line description.
          Interesting. I owned 4670 which was also a transition model, only 17 numbers earlier, but mine still had the early winged heater knobs and the fawn dash and upper panels.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This one has been for sale for a couple of years now. Last time the reserve was arount 20,000
            Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              That's what I get for posting too quickly. When I posted there were no pictures and only a one-line description.
              Interesting. I owned 4670 which was also a transition model, only 17 numbers earlier, but mine still had the early winged heater knobs and the fawn dash and upper panels.
              i saw what you did early this am. didn't see the "update" til you started the thread.

as of "right now", it's at $12,100 with 6 days to go. maybe it will get to 20K? but unfortunately, i won't be me bidding...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Looks to Me like a fawn steering wheel under the cover....odd with all the woodgrain features, but who knows??

Comment

Is there a range of #'s that cover the "transitional" Avanti models?????
                  sigpic

Comment

To: jeds55,------- A Friend of mine owns R-4943, which is definitely one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
                      Is there a range of #'s that cover the "transitional" Avanti models?????
                      I believe that there were 30 transition models, but I can't come up with serial numbers.

I think that it was the 30 that were built in July 1963, S/Ns 4808-4837.
                      Last edited by studegary; 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM. Reason: added second line
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        To: jeds55,------- A Friend of mine owns R-4943, which is definitely one of them.
                        That is quite a few after the first with square headlights. It was built about mid-way through August 1963 production. Why do you call it a transition model?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

To: studegary,--- Well, it was (is) a round headlight car without the extra cowl grille. (As a '63 would appear externally). The interior is all black, with the pirates buckles on the door panels. The dash and console have the factory '64
                          quasi-woodgrain, and the vent control knobs are round. It also has the improved 1/4 window latches, metal grips in door armrests, and late style interior door lock knobs. The steering wheel and column are brown, But the wheel is not
                          'woodgrain' as a true '64 would have. This car is in good shape (last time I saw it). Has been repainted a few times, but never hit hard or modified in any way. What do You think?

Comment

To: studegary,------ The above car was always registered as a '64. Also, I've always beiieved the number of Avanti transition models encompassed more than thirty vehicles, But I wouldn't know the 'start' and the
                            'end' serial numbers either. I'm not sure that anyone does!

Comment

Please keep in mind that round headlight bezels could be ordered right through the 1964 model year. I wonder if the build sheet reflects this.
                              Also, many Avantis have gone from round to square and square to round in the past 48 years.

The cowl vent, improved quarter window latches, etc. are major items identifying it as a 1964.
                              Last edited by studegary; 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X