Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Production Order copies available for 1966 Canadian vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Production Order copies available for 1966 Canadian vehicles?

Curious....

I had no problem getting one for my 1966 Commander, which I posted in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=moby And the Production Order for the last '66 Commander has been reprinted in Turning Wheels. Therefore, one for you car should be available.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 03-05-2012, 06:05 AM.

Comment

most 66s are available but there are a few that they don't have ...it will cost you nothing to find out if yours is there.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

When I ordered a copy for a '66 Commander I owned about 10 years ago, it was done up on a multicolor form similar to what the factory used (I assume).When I ordered one for the '65 it was just a cheezy black and white photocopy.The former was more impressive.You should be able to obtain a copy of some kind.

Comment

Glad I came across this thread before trying to order one! Hope to order the production copy by the end of the month.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
            Glad I came across this thread before trying to order one! Hope to order the production copy by the end of the month.
            To each his own, but in the old days, Newman and Altman used actual blank forms and retyped the information from the originals onto them. Trouble is, they used one style of form for '60's cars, as far as I can see, and what they used for Canadian cars post-South Bend, wasn't the actual form that was really used. Plus, I've seen mistakes that were made in trying to replicate information from the original to the reproduction. I'd rather have a photocopy of the original, with any handwritten notes and in original font and form, than a reproduction.

One nice thing about Canadian '60's production orders, is that they have the dealer name and address on them, not just the city like the South Bend forms had on them. The "Drive Away Shipper" form for '61 and later South Bend cars has this information, as well as most (but not all) information that the production order has. Remember, too, that the SNM can get you a copy of the retail sales card which would show you the name of the original purchaser, his occupation, address, and what he traded in (there is also a secondary form which shows just his name and address). I say this all the time, but why the SNM doesn't advertise they have this information is a mystery to me. Seems to me like it'd be a big moneymaker.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill; You should point out that those sales cards do not go back very far. I cannot recall the exact years but nothing earlier than 1960 and maybe not even that far.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Bill; You should point out that those sales cards do not go back very far. I cannot recall the exact years but nothing earlier than 1960 and maybe not even that far.
                You are absolutely correct Richard; thank you for pointing that out. The retail sales cards begin with the '60 model year, and the '63 drawer appears to be incomplete. For cars sold Sept. '63 and later, the second, 'better' (IMHO) sales cards are also available, which are the ones that show the purchaser's occupation and trade-in as well as name and address.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                  To each his own, but in the old days, Newman and Altman used actual blank forms and retyped the information from the originals onto them. Trouble is, they used one style of form for '60's cars, as far as I can see, and what they used for Canadian cars post-South Bend, wasn't the actual form that was really used. Plus, I've seen mistakes that were made in trying to replicate information from the original to the reproduction. I'd rather have a photocopy of the original, with any handwritten notes and in original font and form, than a reproduction.
                  I agree having the photocopy is preferable for the reasons I mentioned in post #74 in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=transcripted

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I tried to get a production order for my '65 Cruiser a few years ago and was told that a number of '65 PO's were lost. Maybe I should ask again.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

How much are the sales cards? Does the museum offer a discount if ordered with the production order for the same vehicle at the same time? I need to get them for my 60 convertible, 64 Zip Van & the 66 Cruiser yet.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        I tried to get a production order for my '65 Cruiser a few years ago and was told that a number of '65 PO's were lost. Maybe I should ask again.
                        I asked for the production order for my 1966 Cruiser and was told it too was lost, however I did obtain what I believe to be its production date by asking for the production date for the serial numbers before and after mine. I had heard about the retail cards and I inquired about obtaining information or receiving a copy of the "retail sales card" I was told they would look it up and get back to me, but no one ever called back. Maybe I should give the museum a call again.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

To: Bill Pressler,------- That's interesting You mention mistakes on the older NA production orders. There are a few typos on the PO I purchased from them several years ago for My '55 Speedster. I thought these errors were made
                          back in '55, but perhaps these mistakes were made when someone at NA recopied the original---That makes more sense really.

Comment

You won't find a retail sales card for a Zip Van, but if you click on this link and page down, you'll see what a Drive Away Shipper form looks like, and the two varieties of retail sales cards as well:

http://www.studebakerskytop.com/jtskytops.html

Personally, if I wanted a Drive Away Shipper form for my car (I believe only South Bend-built cars, '61-64 model year), and I had already paid for a production order, I'd send a photocopy of the production order so you probably wouldn't be charged another $45 for the shipper. I believe their rates are on their website; I believe $25 an hour and a fee for copies are the minimum rate. I have to believe that in one hour the Drive Away shipper and retail sale card (even both retail sales cards if the car was sold Sept. '63 and later) would be found.

Again, I believe the Drive Away shipper is only for South-Bend built cars. The Canadian production orders show the name and street address of the dealer as the Drive Away shippers do. I have found handwritten changes to destination on the Drive Away shippers that weren't on the production order.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Over the years I have ordered over 50 production orders from either Newman & Altman or the Studebaker National Museum and there has never been one they couldn't find. This covers years 1953 to 1966. You would have to be very unlucky to own a car they couldn't find.

I believe the records for South Bend production go back to 1938, Canadan production back to 1948.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X