Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS Floor Mats! - No - those were made last week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Floor Mats! - No - those were made last week...

At York there was a vender who had on their table "new" floor mats. I spoke with the father who said his son had worked for months getting the patterns just right. They looked spot on and seemed to be available in different colors - same as original - black, white, red, green, blue, and brown

Question - I know these late mats with the lazy S were 62(?) through 66, but what else did Studebaker throw them in? GT Hawks? Avantis? T-cab trucks? How far will they go back and still fit the floor pan?

Sorry for the pun, but I was 'floored' by how nice they looked.

I should have asked but didn't. They are really soft, flexible and sweet. Having no Larks, I didn't inquire on price.
    Vendor was John McCall from North Olmsted, OH.
    studebaker22668@msn.com

Also repros prewar hub caps and rad/hood ornaments.

Last edited by rockne10; 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

$175 a set...

One of my earliest memories is riding in my grandparents '62 four door, standing on the back floor board with a foot on each side of the driveshaft tunnel and just big enough to lay my arms on the top of the front seat. When I looked down between my feet, there was that big "S" staring up at me from that mat that went all the way across the rear floor board.

And I just realized that they obviously will not work for anything that has pedals coming up through the floor...
      Last edited by 62champ; 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Is a set four or two pieces?

Comment

Three pieces. Two front and one rear.
          I think a NOS black set of these went on Ebay last year for over $600!
          I did the touchy/feely on these at York and they are nice.
          Last edited by rockne10; 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

IIRC the 'set' was the front two. Rear one was separate - but I could be wrong... and rockne10 is correct - they were nice.

Comment

They're $375 for two fronts and the rear. A buddy saw them at York and went nuts, and bought them for his '66 Wagonaire. He sent me a couple of pics of them installed. They look perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                ...will not work for anything that has pedals coming up through the floor...
                ...without some cutting.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have one original one in my #1 Avanti. Dont know if they are shaped differently from the regular "Lark" types. These certainly look good!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    ...without some cutting.
                    Looking at my 1960 accessory booklet, the floormats available for those years did not go up around the clutch/brake pedal - ended just below them...cutting eh?

Come on Matt - how about a look at those mats installed!

Comment

At York there was a vender who had on their table "new" floor mats. I spoke with the father who said his son had worked for months getting the patterns just right. They looked spot on and seemed to be available in different colors - same as original - black, white, red, green, blue, and brown

Question - I know these late mats with the lazy S were 62(?) through 66, but what else did Studebaker throw them in? GT Hawks? Avantis? T-cab trucks? How far will they go back and still fit the floor pan?

Sorry for the pun, but I was 'floored' by how nice they looked.
                      I have an original set of front mats that I have used in both a '64 Daytona convertible and my '64 Avanti. No problem at all. They would also fit '61 Larks (suspended pedals). The rear mat will NOT work in an Avanti however. Someone tried it Friday and the rear one piece mat is too wide front to rear to fit between the seat brackets and the rear seat.
                      Those repops are VERY nice- easily worth the price. I wouldn't sell my worn, cracked originals for that. I guess I'll sell my NOS red rear mat to pay for some of the repops.
                      Does anyone have the contact info for the vendor? I failed to get it.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        I should have asked but didn't. They are really soft, flexible and sweet. Having no Larks, I didn't inquire on price.
                        Vendor was John McCall from North Olmsted, OH.
                        studebaker22668@msn.com

Also repros prewar hub caps and rad/hood ornaments.

53K........Check rockne10's first comment, the contact information is there......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Come on Matt - how about a look at those mats installed!

Comment

Knowing John McCall, and having been shown HOW he does these (I may in the future be doing sets for American Austin / Bantams) - these will be right.

He finds original mats, creates molds - if the original has any damage - he repairs the damage - before the mold is created. Damage repair consists of copying an un-damaged section, and grafting this piece into the pattern, which is used for the mold.

He told me of an 'unfortunate' "accident" - where in transit one of his newly made floor mats fell off of his hauler - and was run over many times before he could retrieve it - there was no damage to be found on this particular mat - the compound he is using is tough stuff! John has made mats for several pre-war Studes - 1930-1940. He does know his stuff.

Drew

Comment

Drew, for decades I was looking for NOS or repop front red factory-style mats for your family's old Skytop! I found the rear, which I bought, but the front ones were well-worn. I'm happy to find this fella who is reproducing them and plan on buying a front set for my '66. He lives not far from me now, at all.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X