Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO VIN History???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NO VIN History???

    I bought a 57 champion four door with the Serial tag: G1388252. When i attempt to run a check on the history via txdmv or any national database all I ever get is "no information available". Can anyone shed some light on any info available for this tag? Thanks!

  • #2
    I think you are going to have to go to the Studebaker National Museum to get any useful information. It won't be in any of the other databases.

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the forum.
      Chances are it hasen't been registered in a long time and the DMV records are no longer available. Or it was last registered in another state. The other thing (depending on the state) is it could have been registered by the BODY NUMBER. Some states use this instead of the vin number. The body tag can be found under the hood on the cowl.
      Chris Dresbach

      Comment


      • #4
        The Studebaker National Museum will only be able to provide a factory production order.
        Chris Dresbach

        Comment


        • #5
          Rather than do a lot of typing, I just copied this link:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_Number

          Briefly, any car built before 1981 without the 17 digit uniform code is unlikely to be in any computer database, because before 1981 there was no uniform industry standard for what were known more commonly as "Serial Numbers" back then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for all the info so far. Looks like I will be ordering from the museum.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              Welcome to the forum.
              Chances are it hasen't been registered in a long time and the DMV records are no longer available. Or it was last registered in another state. The other thing (depending on the state) is it could have been registered by the BODY NUMBER. Some states use this instead of the vin number. The body tag can be found under the hood on the cowl.
              I have never heard of states using the body number for a VIN. (I know that some cars have erroneously been registered by body number in later years because the owner did not know better or had no other number.)
              On the other hand, many states used the engine number to register vehicles in the 1950s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

              SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't forget that Studebaker had a history of using the capital letter" I " in place of the number "1 " in their VINs. That might very well make the difference. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

                Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA

                Comment


                • #9
                  California has a nasty habit of purging 5+ YO vehicles out of their DMV database if the registrations aren't kept current. Pretty lame if I say so myself since computer storage capacity is quite inexpensive these days.
                  --------------------------------------

                  Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

                  Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

                  "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DreadVirus View Post
                    I bought a 57 champion four door with the Serial tag: G1388252. When i attempt to run a check on the history via txdmv or any national database all I ever get is "no information available". Can anyone shed some light on any info available for this tag? Thanks!
                    Ah! Another person with taste and discrimination for 57-sedans

                    You will likely get the production order. Be thankful that your 57 is a US built car, as Canadian production orders, as on my other Champion G769739, is entirely missing for before 1960
                    Last edited by Jim B PEI; 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                      Don't forget that Studebaker had a history of using the capital letter" I " in place of the number "1 " in their VINs. That might very well make the difference. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

                      Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA
                      My 56 Persident had a "I" I had to explain.......
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                        California has a nasty habit of purging 5+ YO vehicles out of their DMV database if the registrations aren't kept current. Pretty lame if I say so myself since computer storage capacity is quite inexpensive these days.
                        I believer here in Cali it is 7 years of not being registered and it drops out of the system and no longer exists according to the dmv. To register it again you basically have to create a NEW title for the vehicle. I have done this a couple of times. It is not that hard, but it is alot of paper work. But that is Cali, I can not speak for TX though. It is common.
                        Was there any paperwork with the car, like an old registration card on the visor or in the glovebox? That could maybe be a start of a search.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No paperwork, well as long as my search didnt turn up any legalities Im ok with doing the paperwork over. Anyone convert the dash shift to floor? I think that might be the first thing I do with mine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                            My 56 Persident had a "I" I had to explain.......
                            I tried both "I" and "1"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here is a pic of the plate
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X