Just received my first issue of Turning Wheels yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just received my first issue of Turning Wheels yesterday

I guess technically it isn't my first issue because I was a member of SDC in the late '70's. I owned a 57 Golden Hawk at the time but unfortunately the early '80's weren't the best economic climate up here in B.C. So the Hawk had to go. However, once I started my search in earnest for an Avanti I decided to join again.

The good news is that I did finally find an Avanti to my liking in AZ. It belongs to a longtime SDC member, "Tom", who started a frame off restoration many years ago. Unfortunate circumstances of his brother passing away and health issues for Tom, the car never got finished. As his wife said to me "this was going to be their baby" but it never came to pass. Now I have the opportunity to complete the excellent work that Tom and his brother started.

I'm taking a trailer down next week to bring it home. I'll have pictures then. A well known Studebaker man from the Bellingham area has agreed to bring the car back to life for the first time since the restoration started.

I'm looking forward to working on something different. I've been a GM guy most of my life. As you can see by my handle that I'm also into Buicks. I'm just completing a 67 GS400 convertible.

It seems like the Studebaker family is as tight as the Buick family. Both are a great bunch. I'm looking forward to getting more involved.
    Harvey

Welcome back!

I'd also encourage you to join the AOAI and either the Canadian chapter (out of Ontario) ot the Club Avanti Northwest serving the Seattle and Pacific Northwest area (I'm the VP, so please let me know if I can be of any help). There are several Avanti experts in our area.
    The Avanti magazine has lots of great articles, a tech forum and ads from suppliers/restorers.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Welcome, Harvey, from a fellow BCer and a Studebaker and Buick fan!
      sigpic
      Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
      41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

Thank you to both of you. I am a member of AOAI. I was a member of the Canadian chapter but didn't find a lot of benefit to me. he car will be restored and kept in Bellingham, Washington which offers a lot more in the way of support and information. I'm very glad I returned to SDC. There is a lot more activity here than the Avanti site. But the Avanti magazine is a terrific publication.
        Harvey

Comment

To: gs-xnr,------- Greetings! What type of Avanti did You purchase (Studebaker,---Avanti II?) Options?

Comment

What Brian Schuppert said, Harvey:

It's OK to have a Buick around here, but it must be adjacent to a Studebaker.

Again, welcome. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              To: gs-xnr,------- Greetings! What type of Avanti did You purchase (Studebaker,---Avanti II?) Options?
              It is a 63 #2826, R1. I purchased a copy of the dealer invoice. It was built with gold exterior, elk interior, auto, ps,pb, power windows, air, tinted glass, radio and seat belts. Sold new in California. Built January 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
                It is a 63 #2826, R1. I purchased a copy of the dealer invoice. It was built with gold exterior, elk interior, auto, ps,pb, power windows, air, tinted glass, radio and seat belts. Sold new in California. Built January 1963.
                Your car is just a few (38) cars away from mine, and with similar equipment. Mine was assembled 21-22 Jan, yours had to be just a couple of days later.
                If you want the yellow assembly ine inspection shets, I believe Nostalgic Motors has them.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hi, Yes I purchased the inspection sheets. The car seemed to have many deficiencies!
                  Harvey

Comment

welcome indeed!!!

The car will be restored and kept in Bellingham, Washington which offers a lot more in the way of support and information. I'm very glad I returned to SDC.
                    The Whatcom County SDC will have their monthly meeting at the Bellingham RoundTable Pizza in Sunset Plaza (near Sunset Drive and Interstate FIVE) this Sunday, March 11th at 1PM. We'd enjoy having you if you can make it.
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi, Yes I purchased the inspection sheets. The car seemed to have many deficiencies!
                      Harvey
                      As did mine, I'm surprised any were ever finished!
                      It either says something about the quality of the Studebaker assembly process, the design of the car, or the throughness of the inspection process.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thank you for the invitation. This Sunday I'm getting ready for my road trip to AZ to pick up the car. Next month for sure.
                        Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        The Whatcom County SDC will have their monthly meeting at the Bellingham RoundTable Pizza in Sunset Plaza (near Sunset Drive and Interstate FIVE) this Sunday, March 11th at 1PM. We'd enjoy having you if you can make it.

Comment

Working...
                        X