Old Packard Plant to be torn down in Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Packard Plant to be torn down in Detroit

A good article and slideshow of the old Packard plant.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/02/d...razed-finally/

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
    A good article and slideshow of the old Packard plant.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/02/d...razed-finally/
    Another example of the old saying "all good things come to an end unfortunately".
    Stu Chapman

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it! It is a monumental project to bring down a structure like that. Think of Dixie Square Mall in Illinois....

Craig

Comment

Goodbye Packard Plant

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ll-20120302-ms

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

http://www.freep.com/article/2012030...-one-last-time

Comment

What a rat hole that place was......

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I'll believe it when I see it! It is a monumental project to bring down a structure like that. Think of Dixie Square Mall in Illinois....
          Craig
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I find this story very depressing---Can't help it ---I just do

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              What a rat hole that place was......
              Yup!!

That structure passed down through iconic years ago. A video team went through it a couple of years ago and the term "decaying cesspool" would not insult it.

Detroit is certainly far from a great city but it deserves better than to have pictures and videos of these POS's used as illustrations of it's status.

Bob

Comment

Threads merged.

Dixie Square was legendary - and notorious. Had they just pushed it down when it closed, they wouldn't have needed the EPA hazmat stuff that they
                did when it finally got razed. I'll bet that there will be plenty of yellow enviro-suits present at Packard as well.
                Last edited by showbizkid; 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Based upon when that complex was built, you can bet that hazmat suits will be a requisite for tearing the buildings down. There are probably any number of toxic chemicals there. It's in the interest of preserving the lives of those folks involved in the demolition.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    Yup!!

That structure passed down through iconic years ago. A video team went through it a couple of years ago and the term "decaying cesspool" would not insult it.

Detroit is certainly far from a great city but it deserves better than to have pictures and videos of these POS's used as illustrations of it's status.

Bob
                    I'm a little in the dark about the Dixie Square Mall. The Packard plant was built in 1903 and today it is considered the largest industrial waste site in the world. Understandable, it's over 100 years old. The Dixie Square Mall was opened in 1966 and just by doing a google image search it looks about 15 times WORSE than the packard plant and is almost 60 years NEWER than the Packard plant. WHAT HAPPENED THERE?!
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I find this story very depressing---Can't help it ---I just do
                      You're right.

But remember, it's halftime in America.
                      (where's the sarcasm button when you need one? )
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A sad but merciful end to what was left of a great American Auto Manufacturer. We had 3 plants here in New Jersey, Ford's Mahwah and Edison plants and GM's Linden plants that are now memories. Unfortunately from the looks of the photos its just become a graffitied dumping ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                          I'm a little in the dark about the Dixie Square Mall. The Packard plant was built in 1903 and today it is considered the largest industrial waste site in the world. Understandable, it's over 100 years old. The Dixie Square Mall was opened in 1966 and just by doing a google image search it looks about 15 times WORSE than the packard plant and is almost 60 years NEWER than the Packard plant. WHAT HAPPENED THERE?!
                          Chris

I found the shots of the DSM you were referring too in your post. Obviously the Packard Complex was much better constructed due to the times and need to bear heavy loads on the upper floors but It's obvious that they have both overstayed there intended purposes and demolition is/was the only cure. The Packard Complex reminded me very much of the Studebaker foundry we toured but on a much larger scale.

Bob

Comment

Didn't Packard also have a large (and newer) engine manufacturing plant in Utica Michigan? Does anyone know if that still exists, and is it presently used?

Comment

Does anyone have some pictures of the Packard Plant in it's prime that they can post?
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X