New jack, well suited to low Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New jack, well suited to low Studebakers

My trusty "Aluminum Racing Jack" has bit the dust. The release valve just spins and spins and never tightens up. I took it apart attempting to figure out why, but could not get into the guts. So I figured I had gotten my nearly 8 years of use out of it and went shopping for a new jack. At first I was looking for a similar jack, but yesterday the Harbor Freight ad came and I found an interesting low profile steel floor jack. It weighs a lot more (102 pounds) but I seldom carry my jack around anyway, most drag or push it. The other benefit is it lift range is 2 5/8 inches up to 23 3/4, quite a lot higher than my old jack. It also has a lot longer reach which I know I will like as it will make jacking the front of my car much easier. It looks to be very well made and sturdy and has the added feature of a foot pedal for initial jacking before actual lifting.

This is a two ton jack. Currently on sale for $129.99 that's $30 off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

That is a nice jack.

(Have you considered painting the car red, and maybe polishing it???) <GGG>
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

I think that jack handle is thinking "man, could I do some damage around here..."

Does look like a nice set up though. Long enough to get under the rear to lift the middle of the axle with plenty of handle travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
        My trusty "Aluminum Racing Jack" has bit the dust. The release valve just spins and spins and never tightens up. I took it apart attempting to figure out why, but could not get into the guts. So I figured I had gotten my nearly 8 years of use out of it and went shopping for a new jack. At first I was looking for a similar jack, but yesterday the Harbor Freight ad came and I found an interesting low profile steel floor jack. It weighs a lot more (102 pounds) but I seldom carry my jack around anyway, most drag or push it. The other benefit is it lift range is 2 5/8 inches up to 23 3/4, quite a lot higher than my old jack. It also has a lot longer reach which I know I will like as it will make jacking the front of my car much easier. It looks to be very well made and sturdy and has the added feature of a foot pedal for initial jacking before actual lifting.

This is a two ton jack. Currently on sale for $129.99 that's $30 off.
        I bought one of those several years ago and have been very pleased with it. That extra lift height is handier than you can imagine. Only caution, if you are down on your knees making sure the jack is in position like under the differential and you decide to work the foot pedal with your hand to bring up the saddle a little, watch your head. The long handle will come down when you work the foot pedal. Don't ask me how I know.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the foot pedal! Yes it will reach all the way under to lift the middle of the axle. Notice that the handle has some nice rubber padding, and is spring loaded to the upright position so it won't just "fall down". Unless the foot pedal get pressed as mentioned.

Dave, thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it. But that would be a lot of work!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

i got one of those for my '99 vette (although i had to get a hockey puck so it would fit into the jack point).

love it. use it all the time on everything!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
              Dave, thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it. But that would be a lot of work!
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Pat --- nice --- Jack
                Last edited by Welcome; 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X