steering mess more pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering mess more pics

I got to the shop last night and took some pics of my steering box and linkage. I see problems. Drag link is bent around things and the other link in photos has the tie rod end welded in place on both ends. It is hung about one inch under the spring on right side. Just looks wrong to us.What can be done here and what do I need now?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4863340...57629095604630

If you do it before anyone else posts on it, you can delete your other post so it can all be consolidated in one spot.
    Regarding your steering issues, changing out the steering should not have created problems if it was done correctly. My brother has a GM box on his 57 Transtar and it works great. I am guessing that you did not do this conversion yourself. How does the truck drive?
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I did a GM box conversion on a Ccab pickup a while back...
      http://rides.webshots.com/album/564135145pzgqSH

Used a Moog brand Vega pitman arm and the Stude 'reach rod' hooked right up to it.
      But...
      I learned that there are three 'reach rods' on a Ccab pickup (early Ccabs, maybe)
      1st generation were welded at both ends.
      2nd generation was welded at one end, with an adjustable rod end at the other end.
      3rd generation had removable and adjustable rod ends at both ends.
      ALL of the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (2wd) reach rods had a bend 2/3 of the way to the RHS.
      Used that bend to gain leaf spring clearance on the RHS when the truck was heeled over.
      The one ton versions used a straight reach rod that would hit the RHS spring when used on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Ccab (2wd).
      HTIH
      Jeff

Originally posted by doublepaddle View Post
      I got to the shop last night and took some pics of my steering box and linkage. I see problems. Drag link is bent around things and the other link in photos has the tie rod end welded in place on both ends. It is hung about one inch under the spring on right side. Just looks wrong to us.What can be done here and what do I need now?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4863340...57629095604630
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have not been able to drive it much since I got it last August. It should be comming out of the shop this week maybe today. I will have to drive it around for a few days and see how everything is working. Still need to put in the carrier bearing and speedo cable later. Have all the rod ends for everything up front but will wait to install. Still will have problems with welded tie rod end replacing. Some wiring to do also.

Comment

Which GM power steering box do you need for this conversion?

Jeff T.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

The problem is with the Mustang tail lights! Once you take them off the rest will take care of itself!

Comment

The Mustang lights will be the first thing to go once I get the truck back. I do hate them. Planning to go back to stock lights and brackets. Is there a wiring harness for the back lights? Any suggestions on filling the holes afterward? I am thinking maybe some back-up lights.

Comment

Working...
              X