Last pieces of my car's history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last pieces of my car's history

The other week at the urging of Bob Palma, I contacted Andy Beckman at the SNM for their records of my car. The car came with build sheets, assembly checklist, shipping documents and everything else, but what I didn't have was the card that would tell me the name and address of the original owner.

Yesterday the package came from the museum.

It included a document with Drive-Away Shipper printed at the top sticker showing the sales and factory order number, dealers name,
    ship to address (same as dealer), Via TA Bolin (what does that mean?),
    the bank or finance company's name, options on the car, and shipping weight 3374. It's signed by someone from the shipping company.
    The document is stamped PREPAID Feb 26, 1963...49 years ago today (and a day before my 8th birthday).
    Anyone know what this document is called?

The other document is a punch card with the name and address of the buyer.
    The name matches the name on the console plate, and the address is in Baltimore (now called Pikesville...NW Baltimore) which is very close to the dealer (Michaelson Motors).

I went to Google maps and typed the address, it took me to a neighborhood of what would have been newer modern and large "executive" homes in 1963.
    I also did the address with Bing Maps, and it showed me another house down the street, which turned out to be correct based on the numbers on the mailbox (lesson learned, don't automatically trust Google maps, I've found errors there several times...when in doubt, double check).
    It's a nice home and the Avanti would have looked at home there. The owner was living very well in 1963 as might be expected of the purchaser of a new $5500 car.

I did an internet search for the owner and got some interesting information...she lost a lawsuit in 1961 to remove the executors of her late husband’s sizeable
    estate (she wanted sole control) and later was the president of a Florida real estate firm, which she ran from Baltimore.

Since this was all 49 years ago and she was probably middle aged then, I'm sure she's no longer around, but the documents help tell my car's story.
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

This is interesting stuff, I would like to know more about the histories of my Studes also. As for your car's history, it might be interesting to find a photo of the original owner as you may be able to find one on the internet by digging deeper into her previous business ventures. Maybe look into the public libraries and newspaper archives and find old news reports from that era. Its amazing what information is out there if you look deep enough.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      /Cut/Yesterday the package came from the museum.
      It included a document with Drive-Away Shipper printed at the top sticker showing the sales and factory order number, dealers name, ship to address (same as dealer), Via TA Bolin (what does that mean?),
      the bank or finance company's name, options on the car, and shipping weight 3374. It's signed by someone from the shipping company.
      The document is stamped PREPAID Feb 26, 1963...49 years ago today (and a day before my 8th birthday).Anyone know what this document is called?/Cut/
      I believe that document is called "The Shipper". And Bolins is the Auto Transport Co. that delivered it from South Bend to Baltimore, ?OH?.

UPDATE: I am informed by a Forum Member who knows a lot more about the Eastern half of the U.S. than I, that there is a Baltimore in Maryland?
      I guess they never Murder anyone or steal anything there, as you never hear anything about that little State in the news.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If I lived in the Baltimore area (which I did, albeit nine years before buying my car...great timing!) I'd love to look her and her husband up in City Directories. Likewise their obits are not online with the Baltimore Sun.
        If they had children, it would be fun to contact them and let them know their mom's car is still around.

Owners of other cars would be thrilled to have the production and sales data available on Studebakers.
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe that the HISTORY of the car can be as interesting as the car itself. Good stuff, John!
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

You can also check the Social Security Death Index and possibly find out if she is deceased. We are fortunate to have a handwritten letter from the original owner of our 53 to the local SDC regarding membership in the fledgling club prior to it's second meeting.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X