Photo Request; edelbrock 1403

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Request; edelbrock 1403

I am thinking of installing a edelbrock 1403 on my 289 which currently has a very tired WCFB. Anyone have a close up photo of one installed. I'm just curious how well it fits / how it looks on the original intake.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Here's a small one, but you can look around the page for others
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html#dashp
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Here go to Summit Racing's website, there Edelbrock 1403 page after you enlarge the photo even lets you do a 360 degree tour of the carb !!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1403/?rtype=10
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Thanks for the reference, but that photo on Bob's page doesn't really show what I am looking for. Maybe someone that has one can tell me. Does the footprint of the edelbrock match the mounting pad on the original intake or does it hang over. Currently I have a WCFB and the base of the carb matches the mounting pad on the intake. Does the edelbrock "look right" when installed?

Thanks
        Wayne
        Wayne

sigpic

Comment

It WILL look right if you get a '63-'64 Stude. Intake Manifold that was made for the Carter AFB that the Edelbrock is a clone of.

The problem there is they are very rare and pricey, so that is why most people now get a 2 Barrel Intake machined, drilled and tapped to resemble the real deal, when installed there is no difference. Or, you could have your 4 Brl. modified. Studebaker Vendors and others, some right here do sell the re-machined Intakes to do the job right without a Adapter.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The newer AFB doesn't overstep the WCFB manifold very much, but if you use the heat insulators (Mr. Gasket #98) to keep the carb cooler, the metal plates that alternate with the composition ones do stick over the side about a quarter inch. Two positive issues however, from using the heat insulator.... A) they raise the carb about a half inch, which then alleviates 2) your having to cut off the lower part of the AFB throttle linkage to avoid it contacting the manifold, when it arcs through it's full travel. Also, the old WCFB was only around 380 CFM, vs the 500 CFM for the AFB...
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Here's on on an R1 manifold

Here is a pic of an Edlebrock carb on a stock R1 manifold if this helps.
              Dan

Comment

From the photos I saw of the 2 barrel conversion that Jeff does, it appears that the 4 barrel manifold and the 2 barrel manifold were from the same casting. They just got machined differently. Is this correct?

About how much does the AFB "overstep" my WCFB manifold? Are we talking 1/16", 1/8" ? Based on the the response from 64V-K7, I assume it is less than 1/4"

Thanks
                Wayne
                Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Here's my 1403 on a Jeff Rice converted manifold. Sorry, but this is the only angle I have.
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Sorry no pic at the moment. But my GT came with a 1406, mounted to the manifold via a spread bore to square bore machined aluminum adaptor which raised the carb up about 3/4" or more. It looks "right."

Paul
                    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

The 1406 on an early Manifold with have problems with secondary's opening with out something to raise it up some. the altered 2 bld manifold is the way to go , I sell them all time. also the bolt pattern is different.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Great Thread! Just what I was looking for too.
                        I just aquired a 1403 to fo atop the 4bbl manifold I have.
                        Thanks
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

To shim my 1403 up to where the secondaries clear, I used the gasket set from JEGS. It is comprised of a sandwich of metal and fiber gaskets and acts as a heat shield also. My .02 worth.

Comment

Edelbrock Pictures

Here are some pictures I took during the carb change-out I did a couple of years ago. I went from Edelbrock back to Carter WCFBs.

Good Luck
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Here's some info on doing this....
                              If you have an unmodified WCFB 4 barrel intake manifold.
                              You can drop a later AFB on it if you......
                              (a) Use a spacer to lift up the carb far enough so the secondary butterflies don't hang up in the smaller holes.
                              (b) Raise the carb up a bit using gaskets...

Mr Gasket makes a heat insulator gasket set that has alternating aluminum plates and gasket plates.

http://store.prestoliteperformance.com/mr-gasket/carb-accessories/1-2-heat-dissipator-holley-afb.html

You will need longer mount studs.
                              You might need to trim off the GM A/T kick-down tab off of the carb throttle shaft 'if' it hits the heat crossover part of that manifold.
                              On a Stude with hood room, all is OK.
                              On C's and K's you get tight with the hood.
                              You also introduce a 'step' into the secondary airflow coming out of the carb into the intake.
                              Causes a lot of turbulence. Nothing bad in a casual street car, but an issue if performance is what you are seeking.

Opening up the secondary throttle bore in the intake manifold is tedious, but can be done with a die grinder and carbide burr.
                              I do it with an end mill and a milling machine, and radius the turn into the runners for better flow.
                              But, I modified them a long time ago with a die grinder and they worked OK...

You will have to get an aftermarket 'thin' air filter to fit the AFB carb.
                              Jim Turner did a neat mod on his convertible by cutting out the base of the stock Stude air filter housing and welding in an aftermarket base.
                              You can't see it when it is on the car, and it looks like it belongs there....because it does.
                              Maybe Jim can post a pic....
                              HTIH
                              Jeff
                              Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-28-2012, 06:18 AM.
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X