No announcement yet.

Pre WWII - bubble gum for the eyes #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Offense taken Terry, those cars were still recent (so to speak) when you were born, lovely things though. The modern car isn't a flash as those pre-war ones but the world changes I guess. Still like the Lark types compared to modern bland styling.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Pre ww2 drivers

To the SDC members that think the early Studes are not reliable, nothing could be further from the truth. Just this last fall there were 18 ASC members registered for the Glidden tour. I drove my 31 roadster over 700 miles in one week through the mountians of Maryland, Penn, and W. Virginia. And remember the original 29 President that drove the 9000 miles last year in the Peking to Paris rally. And the ASC always has a driving tour at the national meet when SDC members are taking bus trips. Parts are sometimes hard to find but not impossible. Keep your mind open on pre 42 Studes. I admire post 42 studes also and am a life member of the SDC, but most post 42 studes to me are like owning a chevy or model T, way to common. I like a challenge.
      See video on Glidden tour. Quinn said it was good until about the 3 1/2 minute point.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHcrXIxMbQ

Comment

Mr. Quinn,

These days, when you look at who buys those cars when they're on the auction block, it invariable seems to be museums, the well-heeled or some elderly fellow who's probably cashing in just about every asset he's go to relive a fond memory before he cashes in his own chips.

Most of us re-living those memories these days are remembering the late 40's and 50's cars. Those old enough to remember the pre-war cars are becoming fewer and fewer far and between.

Those are beautiful cars; and if I could ever own one I'd cherish it like the Hope Diamond, however, with what it costs for parts for old cars these days I can barely afford what it's going to take to bring Rusty Hawk back. Unless I hit the lottery, I'll never live long enough to be able to accumulate the discretionary spending type of wealth that it takes to find, restore and maintain one of those beautiful old girls.

I'm betting that I'm the norm and not the exception among old car fanciers these days.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
          Still like the Lark types compared to modern bland styling.
          That calls for another HEAR HEAR!! At least cars had individuality then. Now they all look like they came out of the same mold, regardless of who made them.

Terry

Comment

Thank you Mr. Quinn. I'll never own one but at least I can see the pictures. Prewar rocks!
            Rick
            Kingman, AZ

Comment

I was born in 47, so saw some of the pre-war cars in person, but grew up in the middle of the Ford/Chevy/Mopar drag race group. I have had several Studes, LOTS of Fords, several G M's, 2 Mopars, some British cars, and one sleek, sexy Italian. If offered a maroon 31 President roadster, I'd trade 'em all for it. If I couldn't drive it regularly, I'd ride a bike or walk. Very close to the ultimate car for my eyes. Oh, and I did love all the cars I've had and most others too, ha !! John

Comment

A possible note of hope.

I couldn't help but to chime in on this one. Being born in 1981, I have no childhood memories of any Studebakers whatsoever. My childhood is filled with late-seventies and eighties cars, ie; Monte carlos, El caminos, Bauville vans. And yet, I am still enamored with cars from before my time. The argument that nostalgia is the key factor in possessing one of these cars is not entirely true. Yes, it is a big factor, but for guys like me, who own a car from decades before I was born, the only nostalgia involved is a possible "Vicarious Nostalgia" that says "I wasn't there, but I would like to visit". For me, I love my 63 Lark, not because I grew up with one, but because it is a token of a bygone era. The same is true for the pre-war cars.

If any of you read Hemmings Classic car, which I know many of you do, a few months ago was the 100th anniversary of Chevy issue. In it, there was an interview with the head of the Chevy club (I cannot recall what its exact title is) and he was mentioning the availability of the older pre-war cars. He stated that sadly, the owners of these cars are getting older and dying off, and the main focus of buyers today is the 50's-70s cars. In the Chevy world, this is leaving a bunch of those pre-war cars with no owners, and little demand. Thus, in general, the price of these cars (and subsequently their parts) is being driven down due to the age old supply and demand rule. He was saying that it was not unheard of to pay less than 10 grand to get a decent pre-war 20's or 30's chevy, and he was hoping that because of this trend, many younger buyers would be drawn to the pre-war era chevies as an entry to the classic car hobby. Now, I know that Chevies are much more common than Studebakers, and I have not looked into current prices and trends following the Studebaker demographic the way that this man has with his Chevies, but I find that tale to be a hopeful one, in the realm of the preservation of these older automobiles. I would love to own a pre-war car, preferebly Studebaker, but I am willing to look around at others as well. With projected prices like that, I think I could grab me a pre-war car in a few years. And it has nothing to do with nostalgia, but with owning and driving a piece of history.

Comment

Working...
                X