A disturbing incident at SB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A disturbing incident at SB

Friends: I have attended many Studebaker events including swap meets as a vendor in 20 annual trips to York, several trips to Reedsville and six International Meets over the past 25 years. At South Bend Building B on Friday AM, three of my neighboring vendors had several valuable items stolen off their tables. This type of activity may have occured in the past swap meets somewhere, but this was such a blatant outrage. I hope that this is not the beginning of similiar incidents that will plague our swap meets. The degradation of our culture that creates theives who will steal anything to satisfy their greed is truly distrubing.

I realize every culture has its theives, but it now seems nothing is sacred. Who would steal valuable, original Studebaker parts off the table at a Studebaker swap meet? I can not believe is was simply some anonymous street person who wandered in or a dopey picking up something for a hit. This incident concerns me and I hope it is not a harbinger of the future.

Just expressing an concern. Frank

Sorry to hear about someones bad behavior. Thanks for being a vendor, I think vendering is a lot of hard work and often not enough praise for the work you and other vendors do,Thank you for a job well done.

Comment

Sorry to hear about someones bad behavior. Thanks for being a vendor, I think vendering is a lot of hard work and often not enough praise for the work you and other vendors do,Thank you for a job well done.

Comment

My dear Frank, I'm very sorry to hear your stay in SB was spoiled in that way. It's a sad fact of life that there are people who can't keep their hands to themselves. Whether this is greed or some sort of illness (cleptomania), it's a clear indication of our fallen humanity.

I agree with Curt though. Without you and the others at that swapmeet, we would all be a lot poorer. Thank you for your devotion to our hobby.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My dear Frank, I'm very sorry to hear your stay in SB was spoiled in that way. It's a sad fact of life that there are people who can't keep their hands to themselves. Whether this is greed or some sort of illness (cleptomania), it's a clear indication of our fallen humanity.

I agree with Curt though. Without you and the others at that swapmeet, we would all be a lot poorer. Thank you for your devotion to our hobby.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I too was a victim of a theft at SB, though I'm not a vendor. I parked my truck and trailer behind the Holiday Inn and left it there. After we unloaded Matthew's truck we drove it everwhere we went. Friday night hotel security contacted me and said somone had been caught removing items from the back of my truck.Items recovered were a floor jack and 4 bottles of GATORADE. Nothing else appeared to be missing. Can you believe someone would steal Gatorade? NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I too was a victim of a theft at SB, though I'm not a vendor. I parked my truck and trailer behind the Holiday Inn and left it there. After we unloaded Matthew's truck we drove it everwhere we went. Friday night hotel security contacted me and said somone had been caught removing items from the back of my truck.Items recovered were a floor jack and 4 bottles of GATORADE. Nothing else appeared to be missing. Can you believe someone would steal Gatorade? NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

That sucks. I can believe it though, people will steal anything.

Rockinhawk, I could tell a story of something that was "stolen" once, when my grandfather was set up at a flea market with no bath room, but it's probably not appropriate to mention that here...

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
                Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
                Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
                2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Comment

That sucks. I can believe it though, people will steal anything.

Rockinhawk, I could tell a story of something that was "stolen" once, when my grandfather was set up at a flea market with no bath room, but it's probably not appropriate to mention that here...

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
                  Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
                  Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
                  2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Comment

There have been similar incidents at York and Reedsville. I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see. It's not just the buyers, Avanti parts Corporation lost thousands of dollars in parts from dealers that stuffed muffler boxes with trim items before check out. That's why SASCO trusts so few vendors to pull there own parts upstairs. One bad apple actually stole about $1000 worth of SASCO stuff while "helping" with the parts move, but we chased him down and recovered the stuff. The guy decided to steal some very rare items that were noticed in his possession after we posted them on the news group.

JDP/Maryland
                    66 Sports sedan
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    64 Daytona R2
                    63 GT R2
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    62 Gt Hawk
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    58 Starlight
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

There have been similar incidents at York and Reedsville. I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see. It's not just the buyers, Avanti parts Corporation lost thousands of dollars in parts from dealers that stuffed muffler boxes with trim items before check out. That's why SASCO trusts so few vendors to pull there own parts upstairs. One bad apple actually stole about $1000 worth of SASCO stuff while "helping" with the parts move, but we chased him down and recovered the stuff. The guy decided to steal some very rare items that were noticed in his possession after we posted them on the news group.

JDP/Maryland
                      66 Sports sedan
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      64 Daytona R2
                      63 GT R2
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Gt Hawk
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I am really sad to hear that there are thieves among us Studebaker people. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but my dealings with other Studebaker people have been so positive I just figured we were all honest. I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

jj

Comment

I am really sad to hear that there are thieves among us Studebaker people. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but my dealings with other Studebaker people have been so positive I just figured we were all honest. I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

jj

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jjones

jj
                            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@

Hello jj; You have stated my feelings exactly. I've vended since 1977 with Brand x and xx, Studebaker since 1985. I've never had anyone rip me off. I have always trusted people, especially Studebaker folks who are the greatest. I've never even had a confrontation with a Studebaker fan over parts or money.

The few stories already posted means this wasn't the first time this type of thing has happened, just the first time I've been exposed to several vendors really upset and angry. Maybe I've lived in my innocence too long. But, I'll keep vending until the old body plays out completely and then my Stude partner and son will continue the vending.

Overall, the South Bend '07 was the best of six Internationals I have attended. Super extramendious!!!

Frank Drumheller
                            Louisa, VA
                            '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                            '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jjones

jj
                              @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@

Hello jj; You have stated my feelings exactly. I've vended since 1977 with Brand x and xx, Studebaker since 1985. I've never had anyone rip me off. I have always trusted people, especially Studebaker folks who are the greatest. I've never even had a confrontation with a Studebaker fan over parts or money.

The few stories already posted means this wasn't the first time this type of thing has happened, just the first time I've been exposed to several vendors really upset and angry. Maybe I've lived in my innocence too long. But, I'll keep vending until the old body plays out completely and then my Stude partner and son will continue the vending.

Overall, the South Bend '07 was the best of six Internationals I have attended. Super extramendious!!!

Frank Drumheller
                              Louisa, VA
                              '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                              '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Working...
                              X