New post on the 63 rose mist cruiser, more pictures after some minor work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New post on the 63 rose mist cruiser, more pictures after some minor work

Today the owner of the 63 Rose Mist cruiser did a little minor work, install a new battery, some fresh gas and she fired right up, ran a little rough for a few mins. but let it worm up and some carb cleaner and things got better, pucked out some stuff at first but not much, let her heat up and checked the trany fluid and need some a little over Qt. had good oil pressure all the time even after wormed up, all gauges worked except the clock but a good cleaning and some oil and it should work fine owner said it always did work but now it has been sitting for longer than I thought.

The owner told me his Father in law passed away in 1988 so that was really the last time the car was really used he bought it new and put the 83,000 miles on it that time frame. the mother never drove and it sat in their garage until she passed in 1993 at that time the son in law now the new owner took it to his house and into his garage he has not but over 100 miles in the rest of the time just start it now and then and drive it around the block. I guess one of the reasons it run a little rough could be the 1988 spark plugs? the carb wanted to skip a beat now and then when I pushed the peddle down fast so maybe the carb should be rebuilt but it still ran quite well when I took it out for a spin the tranny worked rear nice like it should.

We washed the dirt off but did not detail it so what you see is what you get and still a very nice and straight body car paint is a little dull but still rather nice might do well with some of Dick's lark shine. went to put the nice near new 15" wheel covers on and found the tires and wheels were 14" and he never knew that why they were changed but the stock 4 wheels were sitting in the corner, when the car was worming up the temp gauge took a dump and shot all the way up but the car was not heating up so it must just be a bad gauge after all this time. here are some more pictures of her after a wash job and a little run around the block a few times.

minor cracking in the upper rear seat as per picture.

The carpets are really still nice for the age, as is the dash and all the chrome and stainless trim glass is real good also. time for some real offers now.
    Last edited by candbstudebakers; 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Gosh, Bob; I don't know why he'd want to sell it; few people have matching-color cars and homes, especially Rose Mist!

Also, those pictures are good enough that we can actually see the individual, sewn stitches in the upholstery inserts, verifying that the seat's inserts have, in fact, been replaced. Maybe that was done when they installed the 14" wheels?

The issue of 1963 Cruiser rocker panel moldings was discussed recently, so it's nice to see those (well, at least the right-side one, which is usually the first damaged) in such good shape.

Nice car! 'Looks like it could easily become a pleasant tour car with a little mechanical freshening up, as you've disclosed. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Also, those pictures are good enough that we can actually see the individual, sewn stitches in the upholstery inserts, verifying that the seat's inserts have, in fact, been replaced.
      I suspect that cloth has severely faded; especially in the areas away from the doors. Looking at the one photo of the corner, it appears less faded and darker.

Craig

Comment

How much for that parts-mobile? I've got a 63 Cruiser that needs an engine. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jeepers, Jim, that's way better than a parts car to my eye! Unfortunately, the seller won't give Bob the price so chances are it's not going anywhere since folks don't want to "make offers".
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I would offer a couple of grand...if I had a couple of grand. Next would be one heck uv a "Road Trip!"

Since the roofing manufacturer has come through with a settlement on my roof (working on that since last June), what money I have now is targeted to fixing the house. That means new siding, gutters, shutters, and of course, the roof. All of this has been on hold due to the warranty issues. In addition to the house, there are three outbuildings to repair. Otherwise, I would be taking a hard look at this car. I really want a pre-war car.

However, this one has the potential and ability to become a very practical driver and long-range Studebaker activity "trip" car. I hope someone steps up and that it gets a good home.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I sure wouldn't part that car. I'd drive it everywhere!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

According to the NADA guide, low retail is $4,825 and average retail is $10,200. With a car that's been stored so long and is therefore an unknown quantity re running condition, I'd guess it would be somewhere in between.

In reality, Cruisers are the red-headed stepchildren in the Lark family, IMO. Nobody seems to want a 4 door. I put over $10K in my cruiser and while it's not bone stock it isn't far off, and bidding died at $5100 on eBay. That with a rebuilt motor under 50 miles. The paint and body work alone are worth more than that - ask Dick Steinkamp what kind of work my body guy does.

If it was a Daytona hardtop it would have been a far different story, methinks.

Good luck to your friend with this, Bob - I hope he finds someone who loves this car and is willing to pony up a fair price. One would think that people would value a rust free California car but oddly enough they seem to prefer 'saving' money on a local rustbucket and then paying far more than the cost of shipping to plug the holes. *SMH*

Comment

Nobody likes a 4-dr Lark or Commander, except of course, me...
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
                    In reality, Cruisers are the red-headed stepchildren in the Lark family

One would think that people would value a rust free California car but oddly enough they seem to prefer 'saving' money on a local rustbucket and then paying far more than the cost of shipping to plug the holes. *SMH*
                    Pat- your comment certainly has some merit, but it's not always the case, due to a couple factors:

Sometimes there are solid cars to be found on this end of the country. Especially pre-80s, the rapid deterioration of cars due to salt usage has always been well known here. Due to that, there are many cars that have been stored winters; I grew up knowing the term 'Winter Rat'- the beater that folks drove through the winter while their better car sat preserved inside. I have in my garage a '62 Daytona 2dr. HT that spent its entire life before me in Mass. but was garage kept. Other than a minor strip at the back of the front fenders, it has NO rust- not only are the floors and trunk excellent, even the original carpet is very nice. The dash, headliner, and console still look new; a recover of the seats is all it needs. Next to it is a 57 Provincial that has been in NY for over 30 years, but is very solid because it didn't see winters- and it was an hour away from me. I also have a '62 Daytona shell that is rock-solid that came from northern MI, that I drove and picked up on an overnight trip. And, I currently drive (during good weather) a '60 Lark VI 4dsd, in Boston its whole life- but has perfect floors and only that fender edge thing. None of those had that $1500 shipping bill.

Another thing- I had bought into the myth that WC/SW cars were all solid and dry. I eventually learned that that was NOT the case. I paid premium money plus shipping for my So. Cal. native Lark wagon based on this myth; I was told the floors were great, just a 'small strip' of rust on each side. Once I got it here and got the mats up, the floors were actually rotted like most I see, about 2 feet by 4 feet on each side. Worse than that, the car turned out to have rust a LOT worse to fix than floors- upper edges of the doors and worst of all, along the roof edges- perforated in several areas and rusted inside, including rusted off headliner bow mounts. Changing floors and rockers are MUCH easier to repair than that.

The myth that CA cars can be counted on to be rust-free is dangerous; and the myth that all NE cars will have rust is completely false. Definitely, CA cars are frequently rust-free or nearly so- but not always. A former member here bought a nice looking Lark wagon with good floors, only to find out AFTER he bought it that the roof was packed with bondo all along the edges, beyond any saving. He scrapped it rather than repack it and pass it on. And we haven't even talked about the completely sun-fried interiors and wiring...

I learned the hard way- if I want a CA car I had better buy from someone I know out there, AND know that they know what they're talking about. It's either that or fly out myself. My wagon came from a trusted source, but maybe he didn't know what he was doing; I don't know. But I post this as a warning to anyone contemplating a big shipping bill for a WC car: Don't make assumptions, be SURE you know the condition. The WC has some beautifully preserved stuff, but there are also some real problem cars- just like anywhere. Caveat Emptor.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Gosh, Bob; I don't know why he'd want to sell it; few people have matching-color cars and homes, especially Rose Mist!

Also, those pictures are good enough that we can actually see the individual, sewn stitches in the upholstery inserts, verifying that the seat's inserts have, in fact, been replaced. Maybe that was done when they installed the 14" wheels?

The issue of 1963 Cruiser rocker panel moldings was discussed recently, so it's nice to see those (well, at least the right-side one, which is usually the first damaged) in such good shape.

Nice car! 'Looks like it could easily become a pleasant tour car with a little mechanical freshening up, as you've disclosed. BP
                      Bob I think I need to disagree with you on the seat inserts these are a very strong type cloth and I can not see how they could ever have been any thing but sewn seems, I have parted out a few other 63 cruisers all with the split recliners and have seen the same seat in a couple of them, I once owned a nice 63 rose mist cruiser that had the very same seat design and color I changed the seats out to buckets with the matching rear seat, sold the car and it went to the Netherlands, it is a odd color that looks a little dirty but in fact the inserts have held up rather well, Bob also keep in mind that the driver of this car only drove it until 1988 and his records that he had kept would have shown any money spent on new seat inserts, from 1988 until now the only money spent on the car was a new water pump and new 14" tires since the rims were the ones on the car and new owner didn't even know they should have been the 15". every thing about this car is very nice and a perfect for the survivor class, since not one want to step up with a real offer I will put the price out there for any one really interested.....$5,000.00
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

me tooooooooooo 22222222 Actually, I prefer some models in a 4 dr. Just sarcasting about it being a parts car, neverless, a complete car is the sum of all parts. cheers jimmijim
                        Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

those are original seat materials......the darkened areas towards the doors are where the sun couldn't fade the original nylon.cloth material....The actual color is a grayish-tan...and that's what's at the seat bottom outer edge.......Having seen the west coast sunshine and all the tans.....the material is actually "bleached" where the sun hit(s) it.....

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                            But, this car is neither of those <G>.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob - I spoke in generalities, of course - as anyone knows, nothing is ever 'always the case'.

That said, a Southern California car that hasn't spent it's life within a mile of the coast will almost certainly be less prone to rust than a car that spent it's life in Chicago, or Philadelpia for example.

One must always verify 'rust free' claims - but I'd bet on a southwest car before a northeast car any day.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              Pat- your comment certainly has some merit, but it's not always the case, due to a couple factors:

Comment

Working...
                              X