Phantom Auto Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Auto Works

Anybody know for sure the current status of this outfit (the one in Ohio). Reason I ask is a friend of mine in the Delmarva chapter has been waiting on seat covers for the 53C R-2 he's building for two years. These were prepaid. Repeated calls to the Phantom phone number have gone unanswered and the web site shows it's "undergoing maintenance" as of 2-7-12. My friend is worried about his money or his seat covers.

I would be worried too. Phantom is no longer doing Studebaker interiors. I wish I had better news for you.

Comment

Hate to say it, consider your money gone forever:-(
      Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
      Anybody know for sure the current status of this outfit (the one in Ohio). Reason I ask is a friend of mine in the Delmarva chapter has been waiting on seat covers for the 53C R-2 he's building for two years. These were prepaid. Repeated calls to the Phantom phone number have gone unanswered and the web site shows it's "undergoing maintenance" as of 2-7-12. My friend is worried about his money or his seat covers.

Comment

I had them make my clippers seat set had some problems with the cloth provider but they kept me informed of all problems I even ordered extra material after first set were completed . I had and still have the feeling they are good people to deal. Carrie was who handled the emails and some times they get overworked I still would try contacting them again. My understanding was they were to comeplete all Studebaker work

Comment

This company is now out of business ...I suggest you contact Rene Harger in Tenn. His telephone number is 865 525 6151
          This was the former Phantom Auto Works before it moved to Ohio under different managemt . Rene is now taking orders for Stude interiors and I bought one for my Golden Hawk and he does excellent work ...Highly recommend him.

Joe Parsons

Comment

True, but...
            still means Frank's initial purchase is gone.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I guess I was lucky, I bought an interior from Phantom a while back and they seemed to be a little iffy then. The quality was decent, not really as good as I had expected, but I worked with it some and made it fit OK. Sorry you got caught in their demise.

Comment

Frank,
                Phantom Auto Works is NOT out of business. They no longer make Studebaker interior products and are selling patterns and their remaining stock of Stude fabric. I have communicated with them many times during the past two months. I ordered reproduction fabric for our '51 Starlight and received it with no problems. Last week, (2-15-12), I received from them a complete set of seat patterns. Carrie is the person you need to deal with. Call her at 330-337-8879 and be sure to call BEFORE 2:00 pm. I can't comment on your friends money.

Charlie Attaway
                Oxford, GA

Comment

Obviously they are still selling stuff.

In business, out of business,...it doesn't matter. If they took money for an order more than two years ago online, or did business over the phone, and didn't deliver, and they aren't bankrupt, he's been swindled. He could threaten a lawsuit but that will cost more in lawyer's fees than he's paid them, so they're probably not too concerned about it.

I think they've committed wire fraud. Depending on how much he paid, it could be a felony that will earn someone serious jail time or at least a felony record. He should initiate a complaint to the authorities. Start with the local P.D. They'll probably tell you it's a federal case because it crosses state lines, in which case you'll need to contact the local office of the FBI. They'll probably not want it but can refer you to the US Postal Authorities or whichever federal agency they think can best handle it.

Let them know you plan to initiate a complaint to the authorities. Even if they are arrested and eventually prevail in court, it costs a lot to pay for defense lawyers, and it won't do their rep any good. If faced with that prospect, I bet they either produce the product or cough up the money really fast.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The group in Ohio has ALWAYS been on the up and up with me, treated me well, and delivered their product. They have discontinued their Stude stuff, and sold their NOS stock. I can't believe they are trying to rip you off; they are tough to get ahold of at times. Keep at it. A truck seat is a pretty easy job.
                    Bish
                    sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                    1963 8E28 GSA order
                    1963 8E5 SOLD!
                    1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                    X