Not too common

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not too common

How often has this happened in Hot Rod history?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rod-1963...item5198eabf2d

OK I'll bite Kelly! What?

You mean THREE 427's the same year, by all of the Big Three?

If that is not it, you got me! <GG>

UPDATE: the ebay ad would seem to indicate that there were (3) 427's, but looking at the detail of the Mag that obviously is not the case, I should have remembered that Chrysler never built one anyway, and I would not have a clue what year Ch**y managed to match the 1963 427 Ford.

I did wonder who would build a weird engine like the one in the Hot Rod with HOSES connecting the Heads to the Water Manifold!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Pontiac motor in a hot rod?
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, since Chrysler didn't market a 427 anything in that era, the guy must've just put Chrysler in there to snag as many searches as possible. My guess. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How about a Studebaker powered hot rod on the cover??

Bob
          , ,

Comment

And again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Hot-Rod...item563e4ae181

Comment

Rich & others....is that not a Stude motor in a roadster on the cover of Hot Rod magazine?
              I dont think that is too common...is it?

Then a Hawk on the cover of another one.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                Rich & others....is that not a Stude motor in a roadster on the cover of Hot Rod magazine?
                I don't think so..

Comment

If you're talking about the cover of the first issue posted, it is a Pontiac engine, as DS said.

The water hose running to the front of the right head is the easiest indicator. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Pretty stupid that I did not notice the lack of valve cover bolts in the valve covers. I just saw the exhaust and thought cool....still not too common to see the Pontiac in a roadster....right? lol
                    And that IS a Stude on the cover of the other one....right? lol

Comment

Funny that I did notice the odd water inlet right to the heads, but I thought my 232 had water jacket covers right in that area, I think one has a petcock on it to drain it and one has an outlet for the heater or something.
                      My 289 does not have any water pump stuff on it, and that is the one that I have worked on the most so far.

Comment

Actually there are a fair number of Stude. powered Roadsters, T-buckets etc. the Pontiac is rarer!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You Guys will probably remember that Chevrolet actually had two 427's in 1963, although one was for race only. The first was an enlarged 409 that was drag raced with good results. The second was the 'Mysterty 427'
                          Daytona race motor, that in 1965 was offered to the public as the 396 CI.

Comment

I started out interested in the fact that there was a Stude powered rod on the cover of Hot Rod mag. Not that there was a Stude in a rod, but on the cover....turns out I am wrong, on the Stude part, but not on the Not too common part.

Comment

Pontiac motor in a hot rod?
                              Why not?

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X