55 models,two things I did'nt know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 models,two things I did'nt know.

Learn something new every day.the 224 Comm. pacesetter was discontinued/replaced with the new Bearcat 259.and of course the Pres. passmaster being the 4V.
    and also learned that the 3:73 rear was available in 55,did'nt think they were until late 50s or after ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Joe, even the earliest 1955 Presidents had 4-bbl carbs, even the first ones with single exhaust!

It was one of the things that distinquished the President from the Commander. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,I knew about the 4V.it's just that I always thought the 224 always was the Comm./259 was only Pres.but to find out the 259 was put in Comm. as well "only with 2V" for 55s.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Maybe this will clear up the muddiness a little bit, so here goes:

I have the 1955 Parts Catalog, because I use for my own car. They're options for the engine and rear axles are as follows:

4.56 Standard w/OD
        4.27 Standard w/OD
        4.10 Standard w/OD
        3.54 Automatic
        4.09 Standard
        4.55 Standard w/OD
        4.27 Standard w/OD
        3.54 Automatic

3.54 Standard
        3.73 Standard w/OD
        3.92 Standard w/OD
        3.54 Standard w/OD
        3.31 Automatic
        3.07 Automatic

If you notice a pattern here, the buzzy 224's received a lower gear, and the torquier 259's received a higher gear. I think this was Studebaker's way of mechanically leveling the playing field for all of their cars, even if they received a larger powerplant mid year. The rear ends are open rear ends though, they're not the TT variants that were put into the Avanti's. The 1955 Studebaker Commander hardtop I am working on now, started life with a 259 w/Stromberg 2 bbl, with a 3 speed manual w/OD. The rear end in it is a Dana 44 with an open 3.73, and it was practically all stock, save for the Foxcraft floor shifter. It was fitted for dual exhaust, but save for a few iron bits, that was all but gone when I removed it from the weeds. I can't say if that was stock, but the rear splash shield has dual cutouts on it.
        Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM. Reason: Dual exhaust and too many 223-224 engine combinations....
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The '55 224CI engine always interested Me with that very short piston stroke. I wonder if an 'R' cam and heavier springs along with, say, a VS-57 setup, and R3 headers would turn it into a top end performer?

Comment

The 55 Shop Manual tells another story.
            4:27 - O.D.
            3:54 - Auto
            4:10 - Standard
            Optional
            4:56/4:10 - O.D.
            4:56 - Auto
            4:27 - Standard

4:27 - O.D.
            3:54 - Auto
            3:92 - Standard
            Optional
            4:55/4:09 - O.D.
            4:09 - Auto
            4:27 - Standard

My President has the 259/ auto/ 3:54

The 3:31 was used on the 56 President with auto. According to the Shop Manual.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

This appears to be another one of Studebaker's literature bloopers, we have two books that were supposed to be for the same year/make/model of cars, but they provided two different sets of options as to what they would actually install in them. The funny part is we are both right based on our manuals!!

We also can't forget that Studebaker would also order whatever you wanted, as long as it was mechanically feasible, and you could pay for it .
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

IIRC, the 224" was used through '55 into 1956 in the 1/2t and 3/4t pickups. The 1t trucks got the 259".

The '55 224CI engine always interested Me with that very short piston stroke. I wonder if an 'R' cam and heavier springs along with, say, a VS-57 setup, and R3 headers would turn it into a top end performer?
                Yes, because the same heads feeding fewer cubic inches will always make more horsepower per cubic inch. However, the old VS-57 won't like 8,000 RPMs for very long. Small twin turbos are what would be the answer.

FWIW, really expensive ported Stude V8 heads flow 215 CFM. That equates to about 430 horsepower normally aspirated when the cam, intake and exhaust are equally matched to the heads. That 430 horsepower comes at 6,500 RPMs on a 299", 7,500 on a 259" and 8,500 on a 224". Most experienced racers will agree RPMs are the most expensive horsepower and cubic inches are the least expensive way to make horsepower.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

PBR2's info fits with mine: 259 2bbl auto with a 3:31. She's factory
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                  X