Counting '55 President Speedsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting '55 President Speedsters

Looking for something to do on this cold winters night, I opened up the roster of 1955 President
    Speedsters put together by Bob Johannessen in 1993. Over the years, I've penciled in the serial and
    body numbers of any Speedsters turning up locally, and also any of them that have been advertised
    for sale on e-bay, in Hemmings, etc. Anyway, I've come up with 183 Speedsters that I 'more or less'
    know still exist. (139 South Bend cars and 44 Los Angeles, Vernon, cars) I'm sure there are many more still around, but like I said, I'm checking them off as they appear. I should have all 2215 cars
    accounted for when I'm around 125 years old. Just a hobby!

PS- I know of four local cars that for certain were scrapped

Ed, I emailed some pics for you.and a little story about Speedsters.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Hi Ed, I own Bob Johannessen's Speedster and I'm interested in any Speedster Information you might want to share. I an't say that it's a snowey winter hobby as i'm at our winter crib in Florida right now. I also have collected "anything Speedster" over the years.

Murray

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Looking for something to do on this cold winters night, I opened up the roster of 1955 President
      Speedsters put together by Bob Johannessen in 1993. Over the years, I've penciled in the serial and
      body numbers of any Speedsters turning up locally, and also any of them that have been advertised
      for sale on e-bay, in Hemmings, etc. Anyway, I've come up with 183 Speedsters that I 'more or less'
      know still exist. (139 South Bend cars and 44 Los Angeles, Vernon, cars) I'm sure there are many more still around, but like I said, I'm checking them off as they appear. I should have all 2215 cars
      accounted for when I'm around 125 years old. Just a hobby!

PS- I know of four local cars that for certain were scrapped
      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I wonder if my old custom is on the registry...

VIN

Body Tag
        6H K7

It was customized in 1961 and made several magazines, and was exhibited at the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. Here it was as I owned it in 2006...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

To: stall,----Hi Murray. I talked with Bob And looked over His (Your) Speedster in 1990, when the International meet was held up here in New England. Your car had rear skirts on it then. To be completely honest, I had
          never seen a nicer, more correct Speedster up to that point in time. A Gent by the name of Al Gilbert brought a grn/yel job down from Canada to that meet that was also extremely nice. Your Speedster is similar to Mine in that
          they are both very late production, and both are stick o/d. Both of Our cars also have the SPEEDSTER streamer at the cowl body number plate. Are You bringing Your car to South Bend this year? Take care.

Comment

To Dick Steinkamp,---- Hi Dick, no Your custom Speedster, (a beautiful and somewhat famous car), is not on My index. I jump from 7154935 (6HK7409) to 7154989 (6HK7462) BUT it's in the index now!! Thanks
            entering---7154983 (6HK7393)

Comment

Ed,
              Is the Keystone Raffle Speedster on the list?
              I don't know the Serial Number but can get it if you need it.
              Will have a new owner as of March 3.

Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                I wonder if my old custom is on the registry...VIN 7154983 Body Tag 6H K7 393

It was customized in 1961 and made several magazines, and was exhibited at the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. Here it was as I owned it in 2006.../Cut/
                That is an interesting looking, very different Custom Dick, I like the Lincoln Continental tail lights!

I really like the sudo "vented" Doors.

Does that Chrysler Grille shell actually have: "Chrysler" embossed in it?
                Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: rockne10,---- It may or may not be on the list that I have...I mean much of the information was compiled in 1993, and the owner of the car back then might have sent the numbers in, but I would have no idea who
                  that person was. If you could get the info, that would be great! I'd see if it's already there. If not, I'll 'plug her in'. Thanks very much rockne10.

I was thinking that if any other '55 Speedster owner would like their car added to this list, or anyone knows of a derelict Speedster out there somewhere and could send the details, maybe I could update this
                  1993 Roster and produce a new one.( I've heard that someone else in the club might already be working on this project. If that's true, perhaps I could send the material I have to them or vise versa).

By the way, about that beautiful raffle car, a Friend of Mine from New Hampshire owns the dead ringer twin to it!

Comment

The other person collecting Speedster info is Eric West. His handle here is 55studeman.

Comment

Anyone out there know who won the raffle Speedster At York? And possibly that car's numbers? Thanks

Comment

Winner was Edgar Loomis in Wisconson.

Serial No. 7807674

PM sent.
                        Last edited by rockne10; 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

To:rockne10,----- Thanks , that serial, (7807674), LA car, was not in the Roster of '55 Speedsters I'm trying to put together. I jumped from 7807602 to 7807718.

Comment

And, congatulations to Edgar Loomis.......What a wonderful surprise that phone call must have been!!

Comment

Anyone out there happen to own or know of a '55 Speedster # 7167047, Body 6H-K7 1640? (Grn/Yel, Auto, White dash). It's one that I owned years ago. Went to Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                              X