Overwhelmed by the interest.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed by the interest.....

Some of you may know I've been looking for a 6 cyl Stude for my daughter's 1st car. (Very, very few Stude 6's were imported down here). So I've been trawling the US Ebay and Craigs List, yesterday I found a 6 cyl Silver Hawk.... I thought this may be interesting, poor photos, so I phoned the owner in Downtown Oakland Ca today. We had a pretty short chat, he asked me if I was coming to Ca to buy the car, I said 'No, I bring some Studes into Aust'. He said, how are you going to pay - send me a check. I said, No, I'll do a bank transfer if it all goes ahead'. At that point he got quite irrate and started shouting, "I don't do the Sh&t,man I don't do that Sh%t'. It was at that time I thought I don't want to buy a car off this man.... I bid him a good day and hung up.... WTF......
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

He probably doesn't have a bank account :-)
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Maybe he thought you were trying to access his bank account. You will never really know.

Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

I dunno how bad the spam is in Oz, but many of us here in the US get several emails a day from non-US addresses with offers of money-making deals. Most of these include statements about bank transfers, which may be giving such transactions a bad name. He also may not be sophisticated enough to know that they are a normal way of doing intl business.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

There are so many scammers out there that most are leary of anything like that....

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            I dunno how bad the spam is in Oz, but many of us here in the US get several emails a day from non-US addresses with offers of money-making deals. Most of these include statements about bank transfers, which may be giving such transactions a bad name. He also may not be sophisticated enough to know that they are a normal way of doing intl business.
            Very true, Skip. A couple of years ago, I sold my late brother-in-law's tractor for my sister. It took three months, advertising on Craigs List, dealing with "tire kickers" and "Lookers" before finding someone with 16,000 dollars to spend. The man who bought it was a well-heeled young doctor. We made the final deal over the phone. He stated that he would come over the next day with a check and seemed quite offended when I respectfully informed him that I would not accept his check. He was even more bothered when I also refused his offer to bring cash!

I reminded him of the recent news event in which local thieves had been arrested for taking small bills, bleaching them and printing counterfeit large denominations on the paper. In order to protect my sister, I explained that we would have to make the transaction at my bank to verify the validity of the cash. Since the transaction was more than $10,000...that would mean that we would be required to fill out a "Large Cash Transaction" form to be reported to the IRS.

Therefore, we agreed to do something new to both of us...electronic transfer. It was a "teachable moment" for both of us. It avoided all the complications stated above. As soon as the manager at my bank called and informed me that the money was safely in my account, I called the doctor and allowed him to come pick up the tractor.

Perhaps you should contact the "Studebaker Priest of the west" AKA Bob Peterson. Have him to intercede for you, buy the car and have him ship it to you. I think he has the skill to get the job done.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
              Some of you may know I've been looking for a 6 cyl Stude for my daughter's 1st car. (Very, very few Stude 6's were imported down here). So I've been trawling the US Ebay and Craigs List, yesterday I found a 6 cyl Silver Hawk.... I thought this may be interesting, poor photos, so I phoned the owner in Downtown Oakland Ca today. We had a pretty short chat, he asked me if I was coming to Ca to buy the car, I said 'No, I bring some Studes into Aust'. He said, how are you going to pay - send me a check. I said, No, I'll do a bank transfer if it all goes ahead'. At that point he got quite irrate and started shouting, "I don't do the Sh&t,man I don't do that Sh%t'. It was at that time I thought I don't want to buy a car off this man.... I bid him a good day and hung up.... WTF......
              Matt, when I was a building inspector in Oakland I would see that car almost every day, at the time the owner was an old black man and it was his daily driver I have been retired now since 2003 so he might not still be alive and or still own the car, I saw it on e-bay but don't remember the price I know it was a 6 cyl. and I don't give a 2nd thought to 6 cyl. cars, send me the info if you are still interested in it and I will go look at it ...Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Matt;
                The Silver Hawk in my avatar is for sale and it's a six.

Comment

Matt,

It sounds like a guy who is used to dealing with cash transactions and probably doesn't even understand about wire transfers, pay pal or things like that.

Did you ask the guy about doing a Pay Pal payment or perhaps using an escrow company? A better arrangement would be to have someone you trust go over there, assess the car, let you know what condition it's in, you send that person the money, that person completes the transaction on your behalf, takes the car to the port and puts it on a boat for you.

I'm guessing that I'm preaching to the choir here and that you already know all this and are just venting about having had to deal with such a butthead. Unfortunately, we all run into 'em every once in a while and there's not much we can do about it other than grin and bear it - or in your case, leave him there wishing he'd been a little more polite and if he had he'd now have a bank account that's a little fatter.

Check into escrow companies in the Oakland area and ask about what's known as a Business Opportunity Escrow. Those firms can work with you to arrange payment in a case like this. I have the name of an attorney in the Seattle area that does them but you'll probably want to deal with someone down Oakland way.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The initial phone call to a seller is to sus out the car, and the seller. This guy's attitude told me what I wanted to know. No drama, something else will come up...
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Comment

very wise move

Comment

I just went thru that with a recent car purchase. I wasn't about to send him money and he wasn't going to accept anything but cash.
                        I opened an account with "Bank of America" [nation wide offices] Deposited cash so it would be available to me immediately.
                        Met with the mouthbreather who sold me the car. Went to B of A and had them hand him cash. Clean, clear, done.
                        Even made use of the in bank Notary to complete paperwork.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                          I just went thru that with a recent car purchase. I wasn't about to send him money and he wasn't going to accept anything but cash.
                          I opened an account with "Bank of America" [nation wide offices] Deposited cash so it would be available to me immediately.
                          Met with the mouthbreather who sold me the car. Went to B of A and had them hand him cash. Clean, clear, done.
                          Even made use of the in bank Notary to complete paperwork.
                          You must have really wanted that car ;-) What a palava !
                          Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia
                          sigpic

Comment

palava? Educate me on the language of Auz....

Comment

I think Matt means Palaver (those Queenslanders speak funny ;-)) in other words what a lot of stuffing around to make a purchase.
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X