Overwhelmed by the interest.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
    I think Matt means Palaver (those Queenslanders speak funny ;-)) in other words what a lot of stuffing around to make a purchase.
    Thankyou for translating John, and correcting my spelling - it's not a word I write often ;-) John is absolutley right we 'Queenslanders' do speak funny, still with the same accent though.
    Like the word 'Studebaker': Say it with me now STEW-DE-BAKER And the model Hawk - Say if correctly you Americans Whore-K Not Haark. ;-)

You've been a very good class.
    Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

You Banana Bender, you need glasses as well, you should try giving Hawk1up a call, he looks like he has a nice hawk for sale!
      Brian Greenall
      Melbourne, OZ
      sigpic

Comment

Ah, an Aussie in his natural environment The SDC Forum talking BS with other Aussies LOL
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
          Thankyou for translating John, and correcting my spelling - it's not a word I write often ;-) John is absolutley right we 'Queenslanders' do speak funny, still with the same accent though.
          Like the word 'Studebaker': Say it with me now STEW-DE-BAKER And the model Hawk - Say if correctly you Americans Whore-K Not Haark. ;-)

You've been a very good class.
          Hee, hee,

I've talked to Matt on the phone. His pronunciations of Studebaker, Hawk and Packard were probably as amusing to me as an American as my pronuciation of the same words were to an Aussie. Doesn't matter, Aussie or American, when we're talking cars we're talking the same language.

P.S.

What the heck is a banana bender....never mind, I'll google colloquial Australian sayings and see what I come up with.
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Mike, it's a nickname for someone who comes from Queensland. I'm a Croweater as I'm from South Australia and Brian is a Victorian and I can't recall what they're called. Likely all manner of things LOL.
            John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
              Hee, hee,

I've talked to Matt on the phone. His pronunciations of Studebaker, Hawk and Packard were probably as amusing to me as an American as my pronuciation of the same words were to an Aussie. Doesn't matter, Aussie or American, when we're talking cars we're talking the same language.

P.S.

What the heck is a banana bender....never mind, I'll google colloquial Australian sayings and see what I come up with.
              Yes I think I already gave you the Grammar lesson that day on the phone ;-) Just trying to spread the love.
              We have state rivalry here too, and therefore give each other derogatory names, like people from;
              Queensland = Banana Benders (There are a lot of bananas grown here)
              New South Wales = Cockaroaches (Not sure why)
              Victoria = Mexicans ('cause they're from south of the border)
              South Australia = Crow Eaters (I can only assume because they eat crows) Is that true John ;-)
              Western Australia = Sand Gropers ('cause Western Australia is mostly desert)
              Northern Territory = Territorians (self expanlatory)
              Tasmanians = Two Heads (Lost of convicts from settlement, and it is an island)
              But we're all Aussies when the chips are down, but no at football grand final time. It's like the New Zealanders and Australians hang loads of crap on each other, but come a fight, we stand together, (we don't have many neighbours down here ;-)
              Matt
              Brisbane
              Australia
              sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

No crows eaten here Matt, but those NSW folks are getting called a few things after they stole the water that should flow down here. Cockroaches is an appropriate name I feel.
                John Clements

Comment

Do y'all 'spose the Aussies know what Hawk1up (hawk one up) means?

(Sorry to dredge this up--been away from the Forum for several days.)
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

First I've heard of that expression sorry.
                    John Clements

Comment

Hee, Hee,

Well, I used to have a cat that was always hawking up hair balls, that's why I got rid of it.
                      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                      Kenmore, Washington
                      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                      '69 Pontiac Firebird
                      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                        Hee, Hee,

Well, I used to have a cat that was always hawking up hair balls, that's why I got rid of it.
                        Well, that is one meaning. Also, for some 'aggressive throat clearing'

Comment

Working...
                        X