Mid Night Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Night Run

My Grandson and I traveled 90 miles to San Antonio to meet a Transport Truck and get the white door Avanti I bought from Florida last month. Peg was having a problem with getting door to door delivery, so I agreed to pick it up in San Antonio to speed up delivery. The transport truck had some delays, so it was 11:40 pm when we met at a truck stop. The Avanti turned out to be inoperable so it was a chore unloading and reloading it. The driver spoke little english but enough to say it needed gas as the guage showed empty. I added some fuel and used starting fuiid to start it . It ran poorly even after running the motor for several minutes, Not enough power to back over the center hump of the tranport trailer. There were two cars behind it that were unloaded first. the one behind the Avamti was a new Yellow Porsche that had only about 2 inches between it and the rear bumper of the Avanti and had to be backed up hill away from it to be unloaded. All I can say is the transport guy was an excellent driver. He and his traveling friend stayed and helped us load the Ananti on the trailer. We got back to Uvalde at 3:30 am. It was a nice full moon night. I backed it off the trailer Sarurday afternnon and took the Transport Trailer back to Uhaul ($72.00 for use). Before I went to bed I was thinking about why the engine on the Avanti ran so poorly and rough. Then I remembered that I did not even check to see if there was any oil in the engine and we had ran it for a while. I checked it this afternoon after my wife and I got back from our Christian Meeting. And sure enough JDP had put oil in the motor after he rebuilt it! It appears it hasn't been ran hardly at all sense he sold it back in September 2004. His 10 year 100,000 mile warranty should still be in effect. I unloaded all the goodies from the trunk yesterday but haven't started getting the things out that are packed inside the car. The new windshield washer fluid bag under the hood looks nice.

Allen

If it's been sitting that long and running that poorly it could be the gas but if it's got a heat riser valve I'd check that first. When a car sits a long time and those freeze up the engines run like crap, if they run at all.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The carburetor may have become gunked up with gas for having sat a long time or may have become clogged from having pumped the gas tank dry. Looks like you have a nice collection of Studes on your yard, how many do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The seller said the carburetor had been rebuilt, but it appeared to be running very rich. It has the R3 airbox so I didn't take off the cover to see if it was flooding. I will change the plugs, check the firing order, redo the carb, and check the timing. The weather has been very cold here in Texas. 32 degrees this am! I have about a dozen Studebakers. 3 are Lark parts cars.
        Allen

Comment

I am sure it is something simple like a clogged jet in the carb or a bad condensor. Just some diagnostics and a minor repair and I will bet she will be fine. Congrats on the new ride Allen.
          I sure wish I was closer, I would love to come over and get the grand tour of your Stude collection. Let us all know what it turns out to be.

Your friend and Brother
          Kelly

Comment

I put a new rebuild kit in the carburetor of my old International plow pickup two years ago and all has been good until two weeks ago I started it up (after sitting for two months unused) and it ran terrible and smoked like a chimney. I knocked on the carburetor with a wrench, fired it back up and it ran great! Apparently the float stuck and flooded the engine.
            Good luck with the Avanti, looks like a great project. I hope to have one myself someday.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I tried to fire up the snowblower for the first time this year and got a surprise, too. More exhaust from the head gasket than through the muffler. Oh Oh. An easy fix, if I can get it close enough to a shop. Good luck with that Avanti!
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

To: satdoc2,------------- It's a little hard to believe how these vehicles get around! Massachusetts to Texas. I owned R-3623 when it was around 15 years old (just broken in You might say). See My 'R-3623 has returned' thread.
                And GOOD LUCK with her..............Lots of memories!!!

Comment

Working...
                X