Stupid idiot dumwad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid idiot dumwad...

..that's me I pulled the vent grille off of Barney today to lube the wiper transmission pivots, and clean out the debris in the drain, and I noticed there were only two screws holding the grille to the body.

So I drove down to Ace, took one of the old screws out, closed the hood and went in to match it. Came back out, popped the hood and SPANGGggggg!

The vent grille had grabbed the back edge of the hood, and when I opened it, the hood bent before the two pieces released each other. So now there's about a 6" semi-circle of sproing at the back of the hood, and of course it cracked the paint too.

Guess I'm going to have to do some stop-gap paint and body work just to keep it from rusting.

Dang, I hate when I do stupid things.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Don't beat yourself up too much, Clark. We've all been there to some extent. ("Instructions: Tighten bolt until it breaks off, then back off one quarter turn.")

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Gee Clark, I feel your pain. I am sure you have lots of company from many of us. At least you are man enough to fess up. I have been guilty of leaving some of my favorite tools on that convenient shelf built into C cab firewalls, only to realize my error after losing them somewhere on the "test drive." Things like forgetting to clip the distributor cap back on, leaving off the radiator cap, oil filler cap, failing to latch down the trailer hitch and the list goes on. It is these expensive lessons in the "college of experience" that make it the best educational institution on earth.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

if there is anyone here that works on their vehicles hasn't done anything similar, they are not telling the truth!!!

I'd 'fess up to a few, but it would take all night to do it!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Welcome to the "club."
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

.....yep i once cause myself in getting a total paint job <g>
            I can laugh about it now but it was funny at the time.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Ya Clark,I live with the same stumbles. AND ON AND ON !
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It's called 'The Chinese Hammer Torture'
                You hit yourself in the head with a hammer....Because it fees so good when you stop....

Hey, We all make mistakes.
                The real man is the one who can talk about it.
                Remember... You have to be doing something to make a mistake.
                People who are perfect never really do anything.
                Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20) has a line is a song.....
                'Scars are souvenirs you never lose'....
                Be proud of them. You earned them the hard way.
                Jeff
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks guys Always good to know you're not the only one~!
                  Clark in San Diego
                  '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    Thanks guys Always good to know you're not the only one~!
                    You have lots of company. When I saw the title of your thread, I thought you were talking about me....
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Geez, Open up my Computer and see this post on the list,..... I WAS SCARED.

I thought for sure it was about me.

Dean.

Comment

On any given phase of my project I have referred to myself using far worse names.

Comment

Duct tape, duct tape and more duct tape; the 'cure' for all of our automotive mistakes. I suppose I should add a "Lol" or two doncha know...
                          JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Don't sweat it, Clark. Be glad personal injury wasn't involved, or you didn't break an irreplacable part.

This thread would get awfully long awfully fast if each reader was required to post something they'd done of equal or greater stupidy.

To wit: How about backing a 4-door sedan out of your single-car garage and failing to notice the car's RR door was open, only to be alerted to that fact when you heard the splintering of the garage door frame and creak of the car's body as the door bent backwards?

Yep; BTDT BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I could post a few of the "things I'll know better than to do" gleaned from the failures that do not outnumber the successes.
                              Still look forward to the lessons not yet learned.
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X