No announcement yet.

1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk garage find available

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Right on Eric - this is a great story and a great car! Welcome to the Forum and don't be shy about asking questions - we're all eager to help and there's a lot of knowledge here! You have a car to be proud of, and with a little work you'll be up and cruising. Congratulations!

    Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" |


    • #32
      Hi Eric,

      After sitting for so long not running, there could be a number of engine issues. Three words - Marvel Mystery Oil - an old time mechanic once taught me how to use that for freeing up old engines. I once used it on a 215ci aluminum V8 from a '63 Olds F85 Cutlass that had been sitting in a wreck in a Massachusetts wrecking yard for nearly 20 years. When I finally got around to starting her she ran like a top.

      Pour a half cup into every cylinder; let is soak a few days, turn it over by hand a few times and let is soak a few more days. Drain the antifreeze and replace it with water - do not leave it dry. Drain the gas out of the tank, replace it with a few gallons of clean gas and some lead substitute. Install a fuel filter, drain the carb bowl.

      After a week or two of allowing it to soak, ground out the coil wire on the block and crank it over with the plugs out for about ten seconds (put a rag over the plug holes to capture the oil that sprays out of those open plug holes. Pour in some clean MMO - about half of what you'd poured in previously - and let it soak another week. When you've finally got it well lubed, spin it over with the starter again with the plugs out to get the rest of the oil out of the cylinders, install the plugs and then fire it up.

      It will smoke like crazy so do this outdoors. The smoke will clear up after a few minutes. Warm it up to operating temperature, shut it down and then drain that old oil. Replace the filter, fill it up with some clean oil, add some radiator/block flush to the cooling system, add a can of engine flush and start it and idle it for about half an hour. Shut it down, drain the oil and replace the oil and filter again. Drian the muck from the radiator and fill it with water again. Don't use coolant/antifreeze yet till you see if you have any engine issues. Don't forget to use a zinc additive for your oil. Start it up and see how she runs.

      Pick up a cheap vaccuum gauge at an auto parts store, hook it up and start the engine to run a quick engine diagnosis. The gauge will tell you if you've got any issues with the rings or valves (wouldn't be surprised after it has sat that long) and tell you whether the head and intake manifold gaskets are still intact. Here's a set of instructions:

      Good luck and enjoy your Hawk.
      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
      Kenmore, Washington

      '58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird
      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)


      • #33
        Would you believe I just learned to check the "about" tab? <G> Congratulations Eric. You can meet a number of the St. Louis Chapter of SDC members next Sunday at the Forest Park Easter Car Show.


        • #34
          Sorry, I meant to say Park Green instead of Park Blue.

          Yes, I am the same Eric as mentioned in the original post. When I first called Ed at the local club, I was asking to find out what the interest level was like for this car and what kind of difficulty I would face getting it restored.

          I told him I wanted to make sure if I decided to sell it that it would end up in the right hands. I sent him a couple of photos and he posted them here. I must have received 50 messages with intent to buy.

          Thanks for all the great advice about bringing it back to life. I think I will pull the supercharger off and send it to be restored. Any advice as to the best shop to do the work?

          As far as the engine, I think it may be best if I seek out a local shop that has rebuilt the Sweepstakes 289 before. I'm leaning towards doing a full professional rebuild as opposed to me trying to start it only to ruin it by missing some small detail. Any competent shops in the St. Louis area with experience with Studebakers?