1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk garage find available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    What an amazing find! I bet it does clean up nice... a weekend's worth of work and it could be a runner!
    Like this?

Craig

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pictures and information. I just love seeing "finds" like this. You never know from just a couple of pictures, but the car looks good. And yes, I still think there are more than a few hidden gems like this all over the country.

Dave Bonn
      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Wow!
        I wish I found my 57' GH in that condition!

Here's my 57' GH with ttree bark growing on it and after a bath.

Looks nice!...too bad the frame & floors were all rotted out and about to snap like a pencil.

Good thing the roof held it together until the floors and frame was replaced.
        Attached Files
        sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Comment

What a cool find. I would love to give that one a cleaning and see what's underneath the dirt.

This is what Park Green looks like when done right. This Hawk just left the Atlanta area, and is now somewhere around Chicago.

Last edited by mbstude; 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=mbstude;620281]What a cool find. I would love to give that one a cleaning and see what's underneath the dirt.

This is what Park Green looks like when done right. This Hawk just left the Atlanta area, and is now somewhere around Chicago.

That car needs to come back to Atlanta.

Comment

I spoke to Mr Miller on Sunday. He is not sure what the price will be and he is not yet regitered owner of car. I am sure he will be on the forums soon. He has had some offers but he is still working on paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHemi View Post
                The car looks Mountain Blue to me on my monitor.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  The car looks Mountain Blue to me on my monitor. Craig
                  Agreed, Craig; I was thinking the same thing.

The difference is readily apprarent in this color chip sheet from the 1953-1959 Martin-Senour NAPA paint catalog, but it just isn't co-operating to photo and post here. Park Green is the third chip below Mountain Blue, but I dont think you can tell that much difference here. Sorry. BP

'Sure looking forward to following this car's "processing" into the Studebaker hobby. A rare and happy find, for sure. BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: correct Park Green chip location
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Agreed, Craig; I was thinking the same thing.

The difference is readily apprarent in this color chip sheet from the 1953-1959 Martin-Senour NAPA paint catalog, but it just isn't co-operating to photo and post here. Park Green is two chips below Mountain Blue, but I dont think you can tell that much difference here. Sorry. BP

[/B]
                    I believe that you mean three chips below, not "two chips below", Mountain Blue. Two chips below Mountain Blue is Parchment White.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The one I posted is Park Green. It belonged to a good friend for the past few years.. He's out of garage space. His '57 Jaguar XK140 and '55 T-Bird are also for sale if anyone is interested.

Comment

It's finally resting nicely in my garage...

I'm the guy who was fortunate enough to end up with the 1958 Park Blue Golden Hawk.
                        First, let me dispel the urban legend a bit. Yes, it was sitting in a garage since 1969, but it wasn't forgotten - it wasn't hidden in the corner and discovered by moving boxes of Christmas decorations.

Several weeks ago, one of my best friends called to see if I would help him and his brothers move his dad's Studebaker out of the garage of his house down in St. Louis City (no mention of the model of the Studebaker - I was expecting a Lark). The house was unoccupied and had recently been broken in to. They were concerned someone might vandalize or steal the car. I had spoken to his dad (Ray) a few years ago, and I remember him telling me he had a Studebaker, but never gave it another thought.

When I arrived at the house, we could see the car in the garage, but we didn't have a key for the locked side door of the garage. I pulled out my Leatherman and easily removed one nail from the hasp and we were in.

There she sat. A sleek Park Blue Studebaker with a very nice coating of dust. This is the first chance I got to take a look at this beauty. One of the brothers commented at how ugly the car was, but I knew the truth. Until this point, I had no idea what the car was (I knew it was a Studebaker, but I didn't know it was THE Studebaker).

Immediately, I start asking questions faster than they could be answered. Is this the supercharged model? How long has it been sitting here? When did it last run? How many miles are on it? Where are you taking her? What will you be doing with it? Does it still have the supercharger and all its parts? The brothers knew it was a 1958 Golden Hawk and were quite aware of its rarity.

This part of St. Louis can be a bit rough, so as soon as we aired the tires and heaved her onto a trailer, off she went to the farm, south of St. Louis. Unfortunately, Ray's health is failing and his sons thought it was time to sell the car and the house for their dad.

Now, I need to remind you, I went to help my friend move an old car. I spent less than an hour with this car in the capacity as a guy who could help push heavy things up ramps. I wasn't there to evaluate a car to buy.

I had trouble sleeping that night. I had to have that car. The next day, I called and made an offer on the car (and the house). A few days later we came to an agreement. It's taken several weeks to get all the paperwork in order for the car and the house and this weekend was the time I finally took possession of the car.

Along the way I learned a few things about the car. Ray bought this car new from Ben Lindebusch in St. Louis. He was newly married at the time and his wife was furious at the purchase (remember, these cars were abouth the same price as a Corvette). Once the kids started coming along, it became impractical, too dangerous and the insurance was too expensive. Around that time Ray and his wife inherited a new four-door Malibu and decided to park the Studebaker. One of the brothers remembers his dad backing the car into the garage under it's own power with nothing wrong with the car. It has sat in that garage ever since.

In the late 70's Ray attempted to get the car started. He did all the things you would do to a car that had been sitting for 10 years. His buddy squirted a bit of WD-40 in or near the distributor and up came the flames. It was a small fire - burning a few wires, but enough for Ray to throw down the distributor cap, which promptly broke, and to give up on getting it started. I still have the broken cap and am looking for a replacement - could use a few wires as well

Here's what I know about the car so far: It is a 1958 Park Blue Golden Hawk with white top and white fins with 68,000 miles. It is a one-owner car (I'm the second owner). I have the original owners manual and even the little strip of paper with all the codes telling me what options the car was built with.

The paint appears to be original. The paint and chrome need a lot of polishing. Much of the chrome will have to be replated. It has rust in the usual places (the garage kept it from getting rained on, but it was not climate controlled). It has rust in the front fenders, rockers, under the fins, some in the floor pan and some in the trunk. I've seen newer cars with much worse. Can someone tell me if mirrors were optional?

The interior is bad, will need completely removed and restored/replaced. The dash and instruments still look good.

The engine appears to be complete. It has the McCulloch supercharger in place. I have not tried to turn the motor over, but I did remove the plugs and sprayed the cylinders with WD-40

I picked her up from the farm on Friday March 30th, 2012. At first I was having some second thoughts about buying the car, but that soon passed as I gave her a more thorough inspection. It looks like a lot of work, but when will I ever get a chance to own another car like this?
                        It is now sitting in my garage.

I haven't done much, but some of the chrome is cleaning up and some of the paint is coming back to life.

I promised the brothers I would do my best to get the car to the point where they could take a ride.

The first thought is the engine. I need to get it running. I've been around cars and motorcycles all my life and normally am not afraid to tackle any project, but this one has me a little scared due its rarity. I have never worked on a car with a supercharger either.

I know I came to the right place by coming here. I need help for everything from sourcing parts, to finding the right resto shops, and to good advice from those who have been down this road.

Comment

Any parts you might need can be had from our many Stude parts vendors. That said, the distributor cap should be waiting on the shelves of your local NAPA or other competent auto parts store. There's noting weird or rare about it. Spark plug wires? While NAPA might not have a "set" in stock, my experience has been that you can sub a set from a 60s 318 Mopar V8. Don't just replace the few that got toasted.

Cool find, story & car. If the engine will turn, I'd take the supercharger belt off - pull the cover off the carb box and see if it'll at least fire with a bit of gas down the carb. It's gonna need it's carb built at the very least as well as replacement of any and all hoses and belts. Get a NEW, FRESH fuel pump from one of our vendors and put a fuel filter in line ahead of that new pump. New wheel cylinders and master cylinder can be had at NAPA, and I'd do that rather than dinkin' around with rebuild kits. For the difference in price, it isn't worth scrimping.

BTW - Welcome to our world. Join SDC and ask ANY questions you want (or search the forum's archives for the answers) Remember that the are NO "dumb questions". They're only dumb when you don't ask them.
                          Last edited by Roscomacaw; 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Who is the Eric Miller mentioned in the original email as having bought the house with the car in it. It sounded as if he discovered the car and was selling it. At least this was the impression I received when I posted the information originally from our chapter president.
                            sigpic

Comment

BB

It appears from orphanbiker's profile, He is Eric Miller.

An welcome from here also, Eric. It looks like a great discovery of a desirable studebaker and a neat story also.

Thank you also for filling out the profile, a lot of current and new folks don't seem to want to spend the time and energy to do that.

Bob

Comment

Excellent, Eric; welcome again. What a find and what a story...and it sounds like you got to it just in the nick of time, if you know what I mean.

As Rosco said, remove the supercharger belt before trying to start the car...or even cranking it over, for that matter. The supercharger needs to be rebuilt after sitting so long; operating it even a few minutes in its present state could ruin an assortment of parts inside that might be OK now. The engine will run just fine and normal without the supercharger belt on it.

I hope you've already joined The Studebaker Drivers Club. As you see, it can be done right here, right now on the forum. You'll find 'most everything you need for the car right here. No matter what you spend on it, this car and its provenance are worth it.

Again, congratulations. Everybody reading your Post #26 looks like Easter already: Tickled pink with a twinge of green envy. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X