1951 Business Coupe with Rear Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Business Coupe with Rear Seat

Here is a good one for a Friday. I just recieved three photos of a 1951 Business Coupe, right hand drive no less, with a rear seat. The car is located in Australia. Was a rear seat an option for 1947 - 1951 business coupes? I have never seen one with a rear seat. Would this be a South Bend built car -- the best information I have is that there was no local assembly in Australia during those years and Studes sold in Australia were all imported. Any light shed on this would be helpful. Three pictures are attached.

Bill Jackameit
    Attached Files
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

I've never run across any information about a jump seat, or any kind of second seat available as a factory option. Looking at the photos, I'd say someone did a masterful job of customizing the car. On the other hand, a lot of different stuff was done with Oconus knock down units. A lot of stuff was locally supplied and installed to meet importation requirements, so it is possible that this was done at the request of the buyer through the local dealership? What's the story the fella in Australia is giving?
    Bo

Comment

No "Rear Seat Option" that I've ever heard of, but..... having owned one, I can say that the floor pan was shared with other models. And as a consequence of that, the floor pan was set up to accept rear seat cusions. Certainly, rear seats from any 2-door of 47 thru 52 would be pretty easy to adapt.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The build sheet would definitely confirm this. Keep in mind, on business coupes up to the 1946 5G models, rear seats were available, and such coupes were known as a 'double-dater'

Craig

Comment

.just looking at the upholstry kind of says that most likely someone did this at a later date....that sure isn't factory looking.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Interior not factory for sure,bumpers appear to be painted silver along with trunk handle.I once owned a 49 Meteor business coupe that had a optional rear seat,not as big as regular factory seats.
            Fellow who lived near me had a 25K original bus.cp. it was a lovely auto no rear seat,just a curtain.

Comment

In the early '60s I saw a 1947-49 business coupe in a wrecking yard that had what I believe was the regular coupe seat with the armrests/storage bins. I noticed it because I had a '50 business coupe at the time.

Comment

I have seen this done. Not factory. You can fit a starlight rear seat into one. Note. I have had customers buy rear seating from a starlight just to add seating.

Comment

In the late 70s I visited a man in northern Arkansas who had some Studes for sale. One of the cars he was keeping was a 51 business coupe with a back seat that looked very stock. He pointed it out to me at the time and I remarked on how much the arm rests reminded me of my 52 Starlight coupe. As far as he knew the car came from the factory like it was. I wonder if the business coupe with a back seat would have been less expensive than a 2 door sedan?
                  sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

There is a 51 here in our town with a back seat, but the owner had it built for the car. From the inside it looks great with the custom interior. But from the trunk you can see part of some wood.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

My 51 Q body came with a wood framed rear seat when I got it but I can not say it came that way. It was also converted into a "ute", and I am very sure that it was not a factory job.
                      Barry'd in Studes

Comment

When i got my 51 Business Coupe it had a rear seat but the upholstry was 47-50 not 51. It came from Morrilton Ar per the build sheet, what color was the one you saw 52 Fan? Mine is dark green now but was originally the blue/green of 51s
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                          When i got my 51 Business Coupe it had a rear seat but the upholstry was 47-50 not 51. It came from Morrilton Ar per the build sheet, what color was the one you saw 52 Fan? Mine is dark green now but was originally the blue/green of 51s
                          Hard to say if it was the same car. The one I looked at was in Pea Ridge, Arkansas and was a fairly dark green. I don't remember any mismatch of the upholstery, but it may have had seat covers like so many cars used to.
                          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X