1963 Wagonaire 2...Blue Dots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Wagonaire 2...Blue Dots!

I've decided to get the exterior trim on the car first. Mainly because if I keep kicking the shiny stuff around the garage, I'll end up damaging something.

I started with the tail lights. I had 11 to choose from...

I picked the best, cleaned them up, and installed them...

In with the tail lights were a set of Blue Dot lenses...

Who would have thunk on a Wagonaire?

I had about 2 1/2 sets of exterior door handles to choose from. I polished the best and installed them along with the locks and striker plates...

Moving to the front, I had 3 grills and grill shells to choose from. The best ones shined like new. I also installed the headlights and parking lights...

If anyone needs any Wagonaire tail lights or lenses (including the blue dots), grill shells or grills, or door handles (the stainless style...I used the chrome ones), drop me a PM and they are yours for the cost of shipping IF they are destined to be installed on your project (no resellers please).

I'm in the middle of cleaning up the stainless and other side trim. I'm going to try to polish the stainless myself, but I have Matt on standby in case I fail . The Daytona has a "wedge" of anodized aluminum trim under the stainless. Mine is dent free, but it is not an even finish. Short of having it re-anodized, any ideas on how I can make it look better? I've considered painting it. Eastwood's "Aluma Blast" or "Detail Gray" are close matches. Malcom painted his black...

...and Matt has suggested the same blue as used in the interior trim.

Other suggestions?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Scuff it in 1 direction with Red scotch brite, the long way. paint it blue, then re scuff it until 'streaks' of blue and 'streaks' of aluminum show. Then clear it.

You can also use grey, and just clear it, for the natural aluminum look. Save those spares, I'll trade you.
    Last edited by (S); 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I thought "blue dots" were illegal. The reason being that it produces purple light. The human eye cannot focus on purple light, therefore you cannot judge distance, hence the reason for banning them.
      Perhaps not illegal in all states?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I powder coated my aluminum with aluminum powder coat (who knew?) I did clear them so thay are a little shiny, but they look nice.

Nice, nice car, Dick!!!
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Dick, are you going for as OE look as possible or a custom look? I know you are not opposed to custom as you said in another post and sited your last car as an example {very cool}, but on this Wagonaire, are you going for a "more" stock look, or a custom look?

If custom look is desired, what about machine turning the aluminum "wedge"? I love machine turned stuff on trim, in moderation.

If stock look is more desired, what color was it orginally?

If you are looking for a "stock-ish" look but with a custom edge, then I like tying in the interior color to the exterior trim so it will look cool and pop, but keep a stock style. Only a serious collector would know that the colored wedge is not stock.

Malcoms Wagonaire sure is sweet. I love the pics that pop up of that car. I like the rallye ish wheels, they are a bit chevy looking but very era correct for the car. The mirrors are the only thing that I would do differently. They are not terrible at all, just have an 80's aftermarket Kragen/Pepboys look for me. Just some nice small chrome vintage styled ones {not even OE, just classic} would really pop for me. But I am sure that is just me.

btw Dick, stop making us other guys building projects look bad by getting so much done so quickly....just kidding of course, as long as you keep posting pics.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            Scuff it in 1 direction with Red scotch brite, the long way. paint it blue, then re scuff it until 'streaks' of blue and 'streaks' of aluminum show. Then clear it.
            I like it...but I don't think I'm brave enough to try it.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              Dick, are you going for as OE look as possible or a custom look?
              I guess I want it to "look" factory, even if it isn't. For example, the black on the trim on Malcom's "looks" like it could have come from the factory that way.

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              If stock look is more desired, what color was it orginally?
              It was anodized aluminum....aluminum colored.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Paint the aluminum to be gold colored. Think of a white Golden Hawk with gold tail fins as an example.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  Paint the aluminum to be gold colored. Think of a white Golden Hawk with gold tail fins as an example.
                  Hmmmm...worth considering

How about red with '62 wheelcovers?

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Very Nice!

Gee Dick, at the rate you are making progress, it should just be ready for me when I'm passing through next Friday morning.

(I did get your last email, so I'll call just before I hit the border).
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                      Gee Dick, at the rate you are making progress, it should just be ready for me when I'm passing through next Friday morning.
                      Oh, NEXT Friday. I thought it was tomorrow. Next Friday should work out much better. I should be home all day.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                        Now thats a double-cool idea I`m going to store in the back of my head to (hopefully) be retrieved one day. Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                          Hmmmm...worth considering

How about red with '62 wheelcovers?
                          Or....you could use 1963 wheelcovers and paint the painted rings to be gold to match the gold side trim.
                          Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look great. That will be a mighty fine car when completed.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

So if you want a stock-ish look but not neccesarily box stock, I really like the red of the wheel covers as an accent color. It would look like something the factory had done.
                            It was stated that your interior is blue?
                            That would be an alternative to red.
                            I am not a big fan of the gold idea myself, again, not trying to offend anyone. Gold is a dressy, fancy color, and adding that to a really nice sublime white car seems to put it a bit over the top. But that is just an opinion.
                            I like a matching accent color, like the red or blue, if not that, then a clean simple color like the detail gray.

Comment

Working...
                            X