Anyone in So cal need a motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in So cal need a motor?

I have a moderately high performance RS block motor available, don't parricularly want to ship it. Here's the specs:

Crower cam, NOS .030 over R1 pistons, Perfect circle*
    chrome rings, .010 undersize*CLevite*77*bearings, aluminum timing gear,*
    new valves, springs and guides, NOS oil pump and it's been*
    balanced.

No distributor or water pump manifold. Bud knows this motor and will testify to its construction, it was in the 54 I recently sold before I put the beast motor in it.

$1200 or make me an offer.

hummm! I "kinda" know that motor too!! <G> IF I recall correctly, that motor went through 3 left motor mounts in less than ONE day! right near 140th & Judah ave!! <BOSEG>

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

That would be the one. I went through 2 before I finally welded a piece of chain around the mount.

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
        That would be the one. I went through 2 before I finally welded a piece of chain around the mount.
        I will be down south either next week or the one after and could bring it up north if needed.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

PM sent, I hope.

doug

Comment

And the winner is Brian in Australia. Thanks!

Comment

I'm not in contention for this engine, but I have a question about motor mounts - fror the V8 specifically.... Has anyone ever thought about (or actually used) the motor mounts (V8) that Stude used in '51 & '52???
              Look at that nice, stout bolt that holds the TWO rubber insulators and other bits captive! And this one I've just photographed here - it looks like it would bring the engine down just a skosh. Which could only be a good thing. Anyone else used these in a later, torquey Stude???
              Attached Files
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I replaced the left one in my 63 Hawk with one from Jon Myer when he was still in Culver City. It is similar to the one pictured but the rubber "biscuits" are the same size. He cautioned me that I might experience some additional vibration with it but I've never noticed it.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Aha! Thanks Warren. Good to hear that. I bought a pair from a fella that was parting out a 51Commander a few years ago. SI offers the rubber biscuits new, and the bolt, the washers and the metal sleeves that slip into the donuts (and the bolt goes thru) are all things you could either get from vendors or thru hardware outlets. Sure beats the idea of those vulcanized biscuits letting go from stress or age.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That sounds like a great engine. What a good deal Brian got. Wish I'd seen it yesterday.

Gordon S

Comment

Jim: I remember the motor mount incident clearly. The first mount was stock the second and third broke the grade 8 bolt that we used after drilling out the original mounting studs. That engine also pushed the 54 to 140 mph on the way to Las Vegas racing with an Oldsmobile on I 15 and that is with a 3.54 differential, those were the good old days. We built another engine almost identical to that one that is sitting on a stand in Tucker's shop. we haven't decided where to put that engine yet. Bud

Comment

Working...
                      X