Studebaker in Everyday Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker in Everyday Life

I really enjoy looking at old pictures that include a Studebaker as part of everyday life. Just a car being used as a car like those around it.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

I also enjoy pictures like this, Joe. Thanks for sharing it. Looks like a '57 sedan parked there. I also like the black & white '55 Plymouth, another of my favorite "non-Stude" cars.

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

It is fun to look at them now, vs. back in the mid-seventies when they were simply 'used cars'. Being involved in the formation and growth of two chapters back then, those Studebakers such as the one in that photo were an 'everyday car' to some, with no interest in their preservation, and therefore, no interest in joining SDC. Sad to say, I have seen some rather rare Studebakers meet their demise from being driven into the ground from those times.

Craig

Comment

Looks like when Jimmy was stalking Kim in "Vertigo." I think I can just make out Sad Carlotta at the upper window, there.

That has to be a university building. There's some OMG Euro imports no sane person would own.
        A Dauphine, really? A friend of my mom's endo'd one at 25 MPH.
        And unless I miss my guess, a later Anglia.

Comment

You could wheelie a Renault Dauphine or a Simca by rolling backwards and then popping the clutch. The rear engine weight was enough to lift the front tires. Sorry, officer.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            I really enjoy looking at old pictures that include a Studebaker as part of everyday life. Just a car being used as a car like those around it.
            This is a poor scan of a couple pix of our '61 Cruiser in late '62. Hadn't yet unpacked from a 1500-mile trip.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

WOW! Plymouths outnumbering both Ford and GM?

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                And unless I miss my guess, a later Anglia.
                Yep, a 105E, 1957-68.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Copied to my thread on exactly this subject. Thanks, Joe.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi

Interesting photo, thanks for sharing it. Definitely looks to be an academic setting, college faculty and students were receptive to imports in those years. Seems if finding '56-'58 Studebaker sedans in general street scenes of that era is difficult to do with their relatively low numbers compared to the Big Three and Rambler.

Anyone recognize the car parked in front of the '57 sedan? I'm going to guess a Hillman

Steve
                    Last edited by 56H-Y6; 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                      Definitely looks to be an academic setting

Steve

Yep, says 'Beaverbrook Hall, University New Brunswick'.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I will have to see if I can find some old pics I have of me and my Dad back in about '66. He is holding me and we are racing to the middle of a piece rope licorice. Right behind us is a nice little Renault Dauphine that he had just finished shooting a fresh blue metalic paint job on. He loved those cars. We had 2 or 3 of them back in the day.

Funny side story on that, and hopefully some education for newer car guys joining us, is the need to be careful when installing glass. It may have been that very Renault I mentioned, but he was installing the rear glass, it was the standard old rubber over a lip seal, and he was using a screw driver to pry the seal over the body lip, here comes the oops danger, and the screwdriver slipped out of the groove, and he stuck it right in his eye.
                        Now the fortunate thing is it just barely scratched the eyeball, but he stuck it right thru his eyelid. I still remember him walking in the house with a screw driver hanging out of his eye asking my mom to look at it before he pulled it out to make sure what the right way to pull it out would be.....it is in my blood.

Comment

To: kmac530,----- Funny side story??? I'll probably have nightmares from that story!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            To: kmac530,----- Funny side story??? I'll probably have nightmares from that story!!!
                            Made my butt pucker.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

ouch!!!

first car i ever had was a black '63 Dauphine, in 1970 for $50. i was 15 1/2 and just got my learner's permit. of course the 1st thing i did was install a 8-track and speakers.

can't say it was a good experience. could barely get it to high school 2 miles away without that 833cc water cooled rear engine overheating in so-cal!

i sold it soon after for $150, and picked up a '61 (or '62?) plymouth valiant (it had the fake spare tire on the trunk), with a 225 slant 6 and 3 on the tree, for $135. i drove the heck out of that one.

thanks for letting me fire up some "brain synapses" i haven't used in years...
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X