Problem with Studebaker Exhaust System bought off eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Studebaker Exhaust System bought off eBay

I am not sure how this will go over or even if it is allowed, but I am having a whale of a time getting an exhaust system to fit that I bought off eBay from a business in North Carolina. They tell me they have been doing this for "forty years" and that I am the problem. Be that as it may, I have a stock 1957 Silver Hawk with dual exhaust; nothing is modified. They keep sending parts not for my vehicle, save one lead-off pipe that they finally got right on the fourth try. The problem is, now that the one piece fits as Studebaker intended, nothing else matches or aligns properly using it. Is there a company anywhere in the USA that actually builds and ships a correct stock aluminized system that fits? Or should I just forget about the "factory look" an have my local shop build one that actually works? I have given these guys every chance to make it right.

Here's where I got mine. Shipping from Canada was about $75. http://www.studebakervendors.com/silverto.htm

Well worth every penny. Don's one of the best guys out there to deal with.

Comment

Sorry to hear you got a very bad parts supplier. Here is the post just active on Jan. 31, nine days ago, with the info for the REAL Studebaker Exhaust people!

You will be assured of getting the RIGHT parts if you always go with the "Turning Wheels" advertisers.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...inless+exhaust

I suspect that the supplier is not using the right Model I.D. for his diagrams or microfiche.
      It is probably SEDAN instead of Coupe/Hardtop, IF he got the right year.

Did he get the 2 inch Head and Rear Exhaust Pipe diameter, and 1 3/4 inch Tail pipe correct?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

To: carussell,---- Sorry to hear all that. But when You say they're sending parts that aren't for Your Studebaker, are You saying they keep sending someone else's order, (like a Ford exhaust) ? Or do You mean the
        parts are for the Hawk, but do not fit exactly right? Just wondering.

Comment

Rich hit the nail on the head, The advertisers in TW are generally tried and true and are the real deal. I have had amazing success so far with these folks and will use them whenever possible.
          New and used stuff has been stellar from everyone I have gotten things from, including SI, Bob K., Rich, Fairborn, Skip Lackie, there are more but all good stuff.

Comment

I also bought a set from the fellow in N C for my 57 clipper I wanted steel the only thing that was like the orignals were the mufflers . None of the pipes matched the ones I took off My plan was to innstall the system the sat before leaving to Gettysberg meet in July nothing fit called and heard the story about making pipes for years gave up. The worst thing in my opionon was the two piece tail pipe with a clamp to hold pcs together near the center of the gas tank on each side. I took easy way out had Don Simmons bring a set to Reedsville they fit like the ones I took off .

Comment

I have used Park's Pipes, Advertizers in TW. Everything fit well and they are great to deal with.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

I have heard this story over and over. Go with your local muffler shop and save money, time and energy. I do.

Comment

I bought a set for my 56 Golden Hawk from Don In Canada as MBStude mentioned above. I bought stainless and in less than 2 hours they were installed and still look like the day I installed them. Get the clamps hangers and all with your order....... a piece of cake!
                  sigpicIt is an addiction!

Comment

Yep, Don Simmons pipes fit like they are supposed to fit!! Get the mufflers and everything you need, and in a few hours, you'll be done.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      To: carussell,---- Sorry to hear all that. But when You say they're sending parts that aren't for Your Studebaker, are You saying they keep sending someone else's order, (like a Ford exhaust) ? Or do You mean the
                      parts are for the Hawk, but do not fit exactly right? Just wondering.
                      Real honestly, I do not know what they fit, just not my 1957 Silver Hawk with 289 V8, auto, dual exhaust. The pieces that extend back from the lead-off pipes appear to have enough bends, just in the wrong locations.
                      They have sent me two or three (or four) sets of lead-off pipes, the first set had a large flange bolt pattern width so I could not attach them at all; the second set had the correct flange bolt pattern width but the angles were seriously wrong; the third set was closer but the left one (drivers) hit the starter and the oil pan (they told me it needed a heat riser so that is why it was short - incorrect, the right has the heat riser, not the left) The fourth set worked out okay. However, when I went to attach the remaining pipes they were either hitting the frame or hanging down about six inches or pointing in the wrong directions (depending on how I rotated them). They keep telling me their patterns are based on NOS parts; I believe their parts are mis-labled or for another style Studebaker. When I tell them that, they reply, "We've been doing this for forty years! It's correct!" I respond, "So why doesn't it fit? Maybe you've been doing this one wrong for forty years then?" It is funny that they mention another Hawk with the same issue...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Did he get the 2 inch Head and Rear Exhaust Pipe diameter, and 1 3/4 inch Tail pipe correct?
                        I do not know at this point since I have seen so many different pipes/attempts from them. I did not check the last set (fourth) of manifold lead-off pipes as I was so happy they were actually fitting, I installed them (so I could start attaching the remaining pipes). I can tell you, the pipe diameters I remember seeing stamped (on various parts) were 1.75, 1.875, and 2.00. This, very obviously, is going to be a hard lesson learned...

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                          I have heard this story over and over. Go with your local muffler shop and save money, time and energy. I do.
                          This is my lesson learned...

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                            I also bought a set from the fellow in N C for my 57 clipper I wanted steel the only thing that was like the orignals were the mufflers . None of the pipes matched the ones I took off My plan was to innstall the system the sat before leaving to Gettysberg meet in July nothing fit called and heard the story about making pipes for years gave up. The worst thing in my opionon was the two piece tail pipe with a clamp to hold pcs together near the center of the gas tank on each side...
                            If anyone else out there has had similar problems with this company from Mocksville, NC, I would like to hear about it.
                            Can anyone tell me if it is okay to mention their eBay user id "klasskollection" and real company name "Kepich Exhaust" in this forum?
                            Last edited by carussell; 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Yep
                              Don Simmons is the way to go! My Dad & I bought several systems from him including a custom dual setup for my Dad's T Cab. Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                              X