Query about Avanti trans options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about Avanti trans options.

I've been wondering about Avanti transmission options. I'm sure I've seen a Three speed with O/D advertised in an Avanti. Was it a column shift they offered? And, if so, what did they do about the console?

Originally posted by wagonairedriver View Post
    I've been wondering about Avanti transmission options. I'm sure I've seen a Three speed with O/D advertised in an Avanti. Was it a column shift they offered? And, if so, what did they do about the console?

Overdrive was never a option, just a 3 speed was standard very early, and it was a floor shift.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Overdrive was never a option, just a 3 speed was standard very early, and it was a floor shift.
      FWIW, for fifty years I was under the same impression as JDP - that only the first few Avanti had the straight 3-speed transmission. Those more Avanti-expert than I have educated me - the three-speed was always the standard transmission and the four-speed and Power shift were extra cost options. A late Avanti with the three-speed just recently surfaced here in Spokane.
      Was it a column shift they offered? And, if so, what did they do about the console?
      A flimsy floor shift was used, similar to that offered on early Corvettes and Thunderbirds with the 3-speeds.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM.
      PackardV8

Comment

I remember hearing of people installing the three-speed with overdrive as used in Larks, but it certainly was never offered from the factory.
        sigpic
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

very interesting... Anybody know hwy O/D wasn't an option? Other 289 cars had it, so it must not be a horsepower issue. Maybe space considerations under the floor? Hmmm...
          Thanks for the info guys, Kelly

Comment

Wow! 53k, you have my three favorite Studes in your photo. I had a 53 Starliner in the early 80's and was stupid enough to sell it (back before they were worth anything). It wound up somewhere back near you. I think a school teacher in Maryland, maybe. My present Stude is a '63 Wagonaire (since about 1996). It is a 259, 3 spd O/D and Dana 44, TT, 3.31 ratio. It will do freeway speed in second overdrive, and is barely 2200 in high. So, I was thinking those would be nice cruising ratios, if I am able ever to find my dream Avanti. Just daydreaming, I suppose.

Comment

very interesting... Anybody know hwy O/D wasn't an option? Other 289 cars had it, so it must not be a horsepower issue. Maybe space considerations under the floor? Hmmm...
              Thanks for the info guys, Kelly
              While I've not seen any real answer to that question, I would believe it's due to the brass (Egbert) wanting a performance image for the Avanti. The 3-speed base transmission was likely listed to keep the MSRP down and without an overdrive option, it made for selling up to the Powershift or 4-speed manual. Both made for the luxury and performance image Egbert wanted. The low number of 3-speed Avantis tends to support that supposition...at least to me.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I recall someone on the forum swapping an Avanti up from a 3 spd manual to a
                5 speed TKO and documenting the entire process with part numbers.

Not only was the 3 spd horribly geared for a performance car, but it lacked any
                first gear synchros which made driving it simply awful.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                  I recall someone on the forum swapping an Avanti up from a 3 spd manual to a
                  5 speed TKO and documenting the entire process with part numbers.

Not only was the 3 spd horribly geared for a performance car, but it lacked any
                  first gear synchros which made diving it simply awful.

Tom
                  A 5-speed would make for one sweet driving Avanti. I'm somewhat sorry I didn't mind converting my '70 Avanti to a 5-speed instead of a 700R4, but the cost difference and the ability for my wife to drive it pretty much put the kibosh on that. I do know someone who converted his Avanti to a 6-speed and he could simply idle down the highway. The 6-speed did require modifications to the transmission tunnel and the console that a 5-speed would avoid.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Six speed, huh? That's a lot of stirring...

Comment

I think it was the fear of breaking the OD unit behind a Avanti engined powered car.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

If I remember right there was one 3 OD Avanti from the factory. Bob Patton had a Olds in his Avanti with a 3 OD.

Comment

I think it was the fear of breaking the OD unit behind a Avanti engined powered car.
                          Agree, the T86 is a weak sister. However, the T85/T89 3-speed OD used in the Golden Hawks and Studebaker trucks is very little longer than the T10 and every bit as strong. It would certainly have done away with the major complaint about the 4-speed then and now - to get any acceleration, low rear axle gears are needed, but then it is too buzzy on the freeway.

I would believe it's due to the brass (Egbert) wanting a performance image for the Avanti.
                          Agree, the overdrive was old tech and the 4-speed was the hot new setup in the early '60s.

Since Stude was the only manufacturer without a big block, to compete in the performance market they needed all the torque multiplication they could get. S-P was also a long time Borg-Warner customer, so it would have been a great coup if they'd convinced B-W to put the R11 overdrive behind the T10 box. It would have been very easy to do and would have been the best of both worlds.

FWIW, around this same time, Tom Beatty, a dry lakes racer, build and sold an adapter casting and modified tailshaft to do exactly that. It was featured in Hot Rod Magazine. Our friend Alan Emory built a few of these and sold the last one to me. The version I have used a Chevy T10 and long-output-shaft Ford overdrive, but it could just as easily been built with the Stude/Ford pattern front box and the short-shaft Stude output housing.

jack vines
                          Last edited by PackardV8; 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM.
                          PackardV8

Comment

To: PackardV8,------- I personally think a T-85 o/d in an Avanti might might be a great setup, but it certainly wouldn't be for everybody. Fact is, even a very nice installation would probably detract from the car's
                            value over a 4-speed or Powershift.-----Still, if I had all the parts in front of Me........................

Comment

I can't wait to pick up my avanti is finished when finished in a couple of months. It's former life was an R1 with PowerShift and A/C. It's now an R2+ with 5 Speed TKO-600 and A/C. We used a Stude GM pattern bell housing and the TKO-600 with GM clutch. The final gear (OD) is a 0.64 ratio and my rear end now has flanged alloy axles, Auburn Gear Posi-Trac and 3.73 rear end gear. I'm running 215/70/15 tires and my calculations are yielding about 2100 RPM at 70 MPH.
                              sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386
                              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                              X