Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRoberts
    replied
    I like this picture as it displays what went on in the factory. Thanks for posting it.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK64
    replied
    This photo received great exposure on page 125 of the renowned THE STUDEBAKER CENTURY publication of 1987 by Asa Hall & Richard Langsworth.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    That photo was taken inside building #84 (body plant, still standing). The car are moving FOREWARD through a dryer. Cars were painted with bake on lacquer and this is where the paint would be fully dried.
    Studebaker only used High Lead content Baking Enamels Chris. You never could get a long lasting, tough, thick finish like Studebakers had, with cheap Lacquer like GM used.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
    What kind of car is that behind the post? A station eagon.?
    Wel, there weren't any production wagons at this time. I think it is a 4dr sedan and the C-pillar panel just curves away just enough to not be visible.
    Last edited by kurtruk; 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    Wonder which one of those might be mine????
    Guaranteed none, Bob. By the trunk handle these are 47-49s.

Interesting to see a production order (?) taped to the firewall. Don't recall seeing that before in this era.

Leave a comment:

• 9echo
    replied
    Chris, thanks for the details of this photo.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    That photo was taken inside building #84 (body plant, still standing). The car are moving FOREWARD through a dryer. Cars were painted with bake on lacquer and this is where the paint would be fully dried.
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 02-05-2012, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Ensley
    replied
    What kind of car is that behind the post? A station eagon.?

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    It looks like a touch up area; the worker in the middle has a bunch of spray guns in front of him, and there is a large hood over his work area. Also the glass and trim are already installed, but I'm with SN-60-is that a drying booth on the left?

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    I just wondered in what direction the conveyer is moving? Is that a drying oven the bodies are leaving, or is it some other kind of booth the bodies are entering?

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Wonder which one of those might be mine????

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Great pic!
    Thanks for posting it!
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• 9echo
    started a topic Production photo from my files.

Production photo from my files.

This photo was used in a magazine ad about 20 years ago. Not sure if it has been posted before, so here goes.
    Attached Files
Working...
X