SB was great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB was great

Hi all my new friends and even my old friends. Arrived home Mon. night at 9:30 pm. Spent Sat. and Sun. at my daughters in Trenton MO. Left there at 7:30 am for home in AR. Got to Benton MO and the altenator froze up. NO TOOLS. NO ROSTER. Never should a Studebaker driver go any where with out a membership roster. Borrowed a knife and cut the fan belt so I could drive to a parts house. Bought a cheap socket set and pulled the alternator. Sorry sir that part is not available. Gentleman standing by me said he had a kin that had studes. No answer. Said he knew of an electrical shop that might be able to work it out. A-ONE Auto electric is the place to remember if going on I 55 in MO for this kind of help. One hour later and forty
    dollars, I was on my way again.
    The trip from MN to SB and home took 7 gallons of oil but sure was fun. Thank you Dick s. for all your help on the trip to SB and your friendship while we were there. To all the Forum members that I met it was a great experience. Gary, Frank and all the rest of you I will never forget the friendship shown by all.
    Dick from the lower Ozarks

Your oil comment reminded me of my youth driving my 51 Commander. With every fill up, I'd automatically add two quarts of the "recycled" oil in glass jars at the pump. 50 cents for two quarts and maybe $4.00 to fill the tank and away I went. Anyone else remember buying a dollars worth of gas to cruise for a few nights ?

JDP/Maryland
    66 Sports sedan
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 Daytona R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Gt Hawk
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Your oil comment reminded me of my youth driving my 51 Commander. With every fill up, I'd automatically add two quarts of the "recycled" oil in glass jars at the pump. 50 cents for two quarts and maybe $4.00 to fill the tank and away I went. Anyone else remember buying a dollars worth of gas to cruise for a few nights ?

JDP/Maryland
      66 Sports sedan
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      64 Daytona R2
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Gt Hawk
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

John - Yah I remember those days. I worked at a FULL SERVICE [?] gas station through my high school years, there were almost continuous gas wars back then, I remember gas only costing 17 to 20 cents per gallon for monthes at a time.
        As I read back through what I have just written "Full Service Gas Stations", "Gas Wars", and "17 to 20 cent per gallon gas", it sounds like I am from another world - OOOHHH for the good ole days

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        51 Champion
        Phil
        Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        56 Power Hawk
        Phil Hendrickson
        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

John - Yah I remember those days. I worked at a FULL SERVICE [?] gas station through my high school years, there were almost continuous gas wars back then, I remember gas only costing 17 to 20 cents per gallon for monthes at a time.
          As I read back through what I have just written "Full Service Gas Stations", "Gas Wars", and "17 to 20 cent per gallon gas", it sounds like I am from another world - OOOHHH for the good ole days

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          51 Champion
          Phil
          Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          56 Power Hawk
          Phil Hendrickson
          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Anyone else remember buying a dollars worth of gas to cruise for a few nights ?

Oh yeah! I remember riding around with a buddy in his '62 F**D Falcon[}] in which we always carried a gallon of re-refined motor oil so we could top her off every time we put a couple of bucks in the fuel tank. I also recall it had a driver's side power window - smack the interior door panel and the window would drop down. A real attention getter[xx(].

Mark
            57 Transtar
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Anyone else remember buying a dollars worth of gas to cruise for a few nights ?

Oh yeah! I remember riding around with a buddy in his '62 F**D Falcon[}] in which we always carried a gallon of re-refined motor oil so we could top her off every time we put a couple of bucks in the fuel tank. I also recall it had a driver's side power window - smack the interior door panel and the window would drop down. A real attention getter[xx(].

Mark
              57 Transtar
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Seems to me, when I was 16 and earning 60cents/hr, I could fill up for .21/gal and run all week, 'course I wasted a lot of fuel by turning the axles faster than the car could move.[:0]

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Seems to me, when I was 16 and earning 60cents/hr, I could fill up for .21/gal and run all week, 'course I wasted a lot of fuel by turning the axles faster than the car could move.[:0]

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Dick,

Glad to hear the Cruiser made it. Now you just need to hang those new fenders.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Dick,

Glad to hear the Cruiser made it. Now you just need to hang those new fenders.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

It was good meeting you Dick. Sorry about your trouble, but I am glad you made it home.

Leonard Shepherd
                        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

It was good meeting you Dick. Sorry about your trouble, but I am glad you made it home.

Leonard Shepherd
                          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Glad you got home ok Dick, nice visiting with you again. I too remember putting the re-refined oil in my car in the late 50's and cruising all night on $2.00 of gas.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Glad you got home ok Dick, nice visiting with you again. I too remember putting the re-refined oil in my car in the late 50's and cruising all night on $2.00 of gas.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X