Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1962 Indy pace car (Daytona convertible). What cost when new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

If you guessed #1 ($3445.66), you are a winner!
    Interesting, Dick. I started comparing the actual 1962 "sticker" with the comparable 1963 "sticker" I had prepared and was amazed that all the prices were virtually the same.

In fact, I couldn't even find the difference I had computed, since the base price of $2,814 was the same for both 1962 and 1963 Daytona convertibles, as were just about all the options. Even those option prices that varied were no more than a dollar or two, not enough to account for the major discrepancy I noted.

'Had me scratching my head for a minute until I realized: In 1962, the $2,814 base price of a Daytona convertible included bucket seats, whereas in 1963, the $2,814 did not include bucket seats.

Bucket seats were a $102.22 option early in 1963, so I had figured them in, adding the $102.22 to the 1963 price to spec out a comparable 1963 car.

Ultimatelty, that accounted for the bulk of the difference when pricing to compare seemingly-identical 1962 and 1963 Daytona covertibles with bucket seats. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Battery came up before I went to bed, so here's the folder in Post #23 opened up. Sorry it doesn't come up any better; I really need a good scanner:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob; This may save you some time! However don't let this deter you from buying a good scanner!
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Dick; much appreciated.

Actually, the copy you have (and posted above) is sharper than the original!

When I had that professional copy made for you last year, I had it done on bright white stock, so it will always be a tad better than the 50-year-old, slightly-yellowed stock of this original.

I think I'll take this original back to the local print shop this week and inquire about having reprints done in quantity. Maybe there's a market for them! <GGG> BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            I think I'll take this original back to the local print shop this week and inquire about having reprints done in quantity. Maybe there's a market for them! <GGG> BP
            I'm in!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks, Dick; much appreciated.

Actually, the copy you have (and posted above) is sharper than the original!

When I had that professional copy made for you last year, I had it done on bright white stock, so it will always be a tad better than the 50-year-old, slightly-yellowed stock of this original.

Bob; I made three digitally and they came out great.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

I am interested in purchasing if copies are made. Thanks Stan H.

Comment

Yep, I think I would be too; my Lark's just a Deluxe six 2dr, but it is a '62...and I do have a white spare rear quarter panel on which I have long contemplated adding weathered pace car lettering to horrify folks at meets, you know, "look what I found, too bad the rest of it went into the crusher..." :-)

S.

Comment

There's two "things" about this 1962 "Pace Car" mailer that I find interesting:

1. Naturally, there is the technical impossibility of the Pace Car "taking" The Checkered Flag(!) ahead of a group of race cars, as the artwork depicts. This makes no sense as the Pace Car is not going to be leading the race on the final lap!

2. Not quite so silly, but nonetheless interesting, is that the convertible depicted "taking" the checkered flag is not a Daytona but, rather, a 1962 Lark Regal convertible! (Had you noticed that, Dick?)

Natually, with the Daytona being the Pace Car, we'd assume this mailer would depict a Daytona...but the side trim is clearly a Regal!

Take a look; I believe I was able to photograph the car close enough to see the Regal side trim. I suppose you could use your imagination and consider it Daytona trim, but it looks more like Regal to me:

Dick, you see that the code on this mailer is PD 62-67. Does that give you any clue as to date of production? Might this have been a piece of art generated so early that the Daytona side trim had not been finalized? BP

Comment

Dick, you see that the code on this mailer is PD 62-67. Does that give you any clue as to [I][COLOR=darkred]date of production. Might this have been a piece of art generated so early that the Daytona side trim had not been finalized?
                      What month was the running change made from the wide whitewall tires to the narrow-band whitewalls. It appears every photo has the earlier wide whitewalls.

Craig

Comment

No '62 that I ever saw when New had narrow white walls Craig. it happened in '63 and the very first ones had the narrow white next to the wheel which Firestone and BF Goodrich quickly changed to the much better looking black near the wheel.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob I would love to purchase a copy of your indy 500 mailer to add to my collection of Stude / 500
                          Studeboro
                          sigpicstudeboro

Comment

Originally posted by Studeboro View Post
                            Bob I would love to purchase a copy of your indy 500 mailer to add to my collection of Stude / 500
                            Studeboro
                            I have a few extras now but if Bob wants to copy his that is fine with me.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studeboro View Post
                              Studeboro
                              Ted, these are now available for ordering. See this topic for particulars:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ints-Available

Comment

May have been a good thing they went with the convertible instead of the Avanti, After reading the Lamberti papers, Wasn't the early Avanti's having a problem with the rear window popping out. If they had been going about 90 mph as a pace car, it would have been a disaster if one had popped out at the start of the race.
                                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                                X