Grantsville, Utah boneyard = Grant's Tomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantsville, Utah boneyard = Grant's Tomb

Went out to Grantsville, UT yesterday to see if the yard depicted and asked about earlier was still in existence....We did find the yard intact with a very interesting, and sad story. Too long a story to tell here, but essentially an old boneyard with at least 40 Studes. Several 50's wreckers, many Lowey types, a smattering of Larks and 50's sedans. Quite a collection. Did I mention matching Nashes, Packards, and more......All to the crusher some day soon. Would make for a great old cars calender photo as mentioned before....

Did you take any photos while you were there?

Comment

place was covered in light snow....tough to get around in....plus, and more importantly: nothing can be bought from the yard.

Comment

Here's a link to some pix I saved from a few years ago....

http://www.studebaker-info.org/grave...yard4/GY4.html

There are quite a few more venues on the master page.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/graveyards.html
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Nothing can be bought, but can it be traded? If the metal recycler bought X tons or X pieces of scrap cars, does he really know or care what model they are? If you pulled out a GT Hawk and substituted a rolled-over Hyundai, would he know, or care? Perhaps the caretaker of the yard would permit something like that to happen, if it was worth his while.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Nothing could be bought from the yard? That logic makes no sense. Rather crush it than sell it and save some history. Maybe we should melt down the liberty bell for its bronze content...I mean it doesn't even work anymore. I am joking of course.

Comment

If it was sold as scrap the guy scrapping it is only concerned with the loss of what he'd get for that weight. Find the guy, show him what the car weighs, make a deal to pay him the scrap price and remove the car and he comes out ahead.

I'm curious, what the Packard Hawk shown in those earlier photos there?
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I was told years ago by a scrap buyer for a large scrap outfit in the midwest that once he sealed the deal to clean out Farmer Johns property the company could sell no items they bought or parts from them. I asked if I could get in to glean off the tasty bits before the items got crushed.A firm no was the answer.
                2 reasons with the first being the biggie.
                Farmer John sells the scrap for X and then sees trucks and trailers hauling off his stuff.He wonders whats up.He sold at the imaginary number of $100 per item expecting said sold items to be crushed under the terms of the agreement and the crushers to make a profit reasonably above expenses.Now Farmer John sees the cars not being crushed and is curious as to why. When he finds out they were sold for 3-10 times X there will be a lawsuit.Same with the cars getting parted out.
                My guess and it's strictly a guess is the yard was sold to a scrap outfit by the owner or relatives of the deceased owner.They dont want the hassle of dealing with 1,000 tire kicking will you take this or can I just buy this part individuals.The scrapper has the cash so a deal is done.
                Second issue.Liability. Someone gets hurt the scrap outfit is on the hook.They are not about to carry liability for non-employees
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Man would I like to have that white Champ,heck there's others too <G>.guess it just takes money ?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That's too bad that they don't sell. I don't get that logic either. I'd bet that if somebody found an owner and threw piles of money at them, they'd sell!
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

That is a real shame, but heirs frequently don't appreciate what they inherit. I hope my stuff does not someday have the same fate because I saved this stuff for posterity, not to be scrapped.
                      On the other hand, I have seen owners crush their collections of parts/builder cars because they were just disgusted with all of the chiselers, tire kickers & idiots they have to deal with. ( I have met my share of them!)
                      Thank goodness there are auctioneers like Vanderbrink who sell these kinds of cars off to people who can appreciate them.
                      Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Dang, I just saw all but two of my dream cars right there......
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

see if u can get the name of the scrapper you might be able to deal with him directly. the above info is all interesting but none the less conjecture as far as any given case is concerned
                          I was able to buy a nice old cable operated Bay City crane from the 50s back east with this approach, and saved it from the fiery hell of China...
                          1947 M5 under restoration
                          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

jackb: please post your pictures. Thanks. Dan

Comment

Hey folks...just got back from my trip out west which saw many old boneyards and Studes about......Funny how they jump out at you going down the road......anyway, my brother and I travelled near 700 miles up to Jackson, Wy (-9 degrees Sun AM) and back with quite a few Stude sightings and various boneyards along the way......now to the junkyard in question: the fellow is a 2nd generation Stude man. He and his father hauled cars for decades using Stude wreckers. I can't tell you how many Studes were there.....but lots of them. All from complete cars to well picked over parts' cars....Here's the rub: the government is taking the land by eminent domain to build affordable housing for immigrants sponsored by the local church. You figure it out. So.....backed by the church and the government (and probably paid for by us ), these cars have been legally locked (I didn't say seized) and cannot be sold. Not 1 tail lens !

Comment

Working...
                              X