X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    Originally posted by dick steinkamp View Post
    no prob...i'll trade you ride for ride, kevin.
    deal!.....

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    So Dick, that would actually be a (GM) Buick Special Engine right? Or is that like calling an SUV what it REALLY is: a Station Wagon, so you don't say that in Rover company?
    It is essentially the same as the GM 215. The Olds version had slightly different heads and 6 head bolts per cylinder due to the turbocharging used on that motor. The Buick version has 5 bolts per cylinder and looks like the rest of the Buick "nail heads" of that time. Pontiac used the Buick version in the Tempest.

Rover bought the rights, tooling, etc. to the motor in 1965 or so. GM found it too expensive to produce. Rover made some changes to strengthen the bottom end and used the motor until very recently in versions up to 5 liters. It is the "small block Chevy" for European hot rodders.

Many (most) parts are interchangeable. On the motor in the previous video, I'm running an Olds window distributor and an Olds intake. The Rover originally had an intake with 2 SUs, but I figured I couldn't get that arrangement under the hood...

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    Nice Video, I love altenative power plants, other than your standard SBC, BBC, 5.0, LS or ford Modulars...Rover, neat alternative. Is that going in an MGB?
    What is the weight diff between the old all steel Leyland 4 banger and the all aluminum Rover V8? Do you have to do alot of frame stiffening for the V8?
    The Olds/Buick/Pontiac/Rover aluminum V8 is 40 pounds LIGHTER than the iron 4 cylinder. The T5 that will go behind it is about the same weight as the MGB 4 speed. No frame stiffening required. The unibody construction is quite stiff. You can jack up any corner and no twisting. The BOPR "upgrade" is a common swap with lots of parts and advice available.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    So Dick, that would actually be a (GM) Buick Special Engine right?

Or is that like calling an SUV what it REALLY is: a Station Wagon, so you don't say that in Rover company?

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Nice Video, I love altenative power plants, other than your standard SBC, BBC, 5.0, LS or ford Modulars...Rover, neat alternative. Is that going in an MGB?
    What is the weight diff between the old all steel Leyland 4 banger and the all aluminum Rover V8? Do you have to do alot of frame stiffening for the V8?

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    Hi Dick,

I have a few Wagonaire-specific parts here, so I may be able to help if you need anything. Also, I did the deal on that other car we discussed, so the engine is now mine to do whatever.
    Thanks, Gord. I am sure there will be not only parts I need, but your expertise as well.

I did get that 3.5 Rover aluminum V8 together and running...

...so I may not need your Olds. Let's talk though. I just might NEED to do 2 MGB V8 projects.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Hi Dick,

I have a few Wagonaire-specific parts here, so I may be able to help if you need anything. Also, I did the deal on that other car we discussed, so the engine is now mine to do whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by BruceT View Post
    I think I need to take a small detour next time I'm in B'Ham and see this one up close...
    Anytime, Bruce. Just drop me a PM when you are planning a trip down. I'm between the mall and downtown just off Meridian.

Leave a comment:

• BruceT
    replied
    I think I need to take a small detour next time I'm in B'Ham and see this one up close...

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
    I figured this would happen after you posted photos of Malcolm Berry's car...
    Malcolm's car is a great incentive for me, but there is no way this car will be in the same league with his. Malcolm has the rare combination of talents of an artist, an engineer, and a craftsman. Very few of those guys around and I'm not one of them.

Hopefully it will be a nice '63 wagon when it's done....and I'll be happy with that.

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Nice thing is...there's plenty of room in there for all of us!
    (Ask me how I know)

Dick, congrats on your new project. Add me to the list of eager spectators.
    I figured this would happen after you posted photos of Malcolm Berry's car...

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
    Can't wait till this ones done. I want a ride (then again I think we all do)
    No prob...I'll trade you ride for ride, Kevin.

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    Can't wait till this ones done. I want a ride (then again I think we all do)

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    That's gorgeous.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    Let me know how things look, I have been on the lookout for Wagonaire parts for years and have duplicates of almost anything including "optional items"
    I ended up buying 3 wagonaire parts cars and anything I saw at swap meets.

The toughest parts to find are the 63 dash and the headliner/ interior trim parts

Mine is slowly moving along as a 'custom' I found myself in the same boat as other 63 Lark guys, so I am using a 64 dash.

I am using 61 lark gauges and speedo, a large matching tach and tri guage cluster so everything is white face with black letters/numbers

The headliner situation may also be solved soon, as well as the small plastic end cap trim parts for the rear slider rails. I did find a cheap way out for the headliner and looking to improve on it.

SASCO did have rear area cargo wood, with carpet and other carpet 'chunks' in blue and red. Not sure which vendor ended up with those.

I did not like the A/M mirrors so I re chromed originals, as well as the tailights. Finding good housings is rare.
    I'll need your help on this one for sure, Mike. Come on down and check it out when I get back from California.

I used a '66 dash in my other '63...

A purist I'm not, and the later dashes look right at home in the 63's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X