X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by wiley View Post
    I paid 500.00 but due to sudden unforseen inflation the cars value has crept up (substantialy). LOL. It does in deed have a 4 speed. The transmission is yellow. Was that the factory color? Also as I have stated before there is no stamping on the machined area of the engine where the id should be. does anyone know who the dealer in Galien may have been?
    (1) The Yellow Transmission is a re-built unit, the original ones were Black like the Engine, and some factory replacements were Aluminum Silver.

(2) The no-Serial Number Engine Block is a New factory replacement Block and Pistons or Short Block.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Thanks for the info Bill. I love history. Thats what started me on this Studebaker quest to begin with. I work for the gas company in South Bend and I got to go through some of the factory before they were torn down. Really peaked my interest. We (the gas co.) used to have a large gas main dedicated to Studebaker. At our Pennsylvania St. yards inside one of the regulator stations that gas main is still marked with a studebaker sign. Nothing real interesting but I bet most people havn't seen it. There are several gas meters in the basement of the former body plant on Laffayette Stand the first time I went down there I was armed only with a mini-mag light.That dungeon seems to go on forever especially in the dark. I'm done rambling now.
    Interesting stuff! I love history too (as you can tell). You ought to call and schedule a trip to the Museum archives in person and I'll tell you, in one hour there of your time you could have all that stuff I'm talking about...at probably a cost of about $30. They'd also have dealer contract cards that would tell you how long Con Allen was in business. I'd take your production order along, to show them you've already paid for that.

Leave a comment:

• wiley
    replied
    Thanks for the info Bill. I love history. Thats what started me on this Studebaker quest to begin with. I work for the gas company in South Bend and I got to go through some of the factory before they were torn down. Really peaked my interest. We (the gas co.) used to have a large gas main dedicated to Studebaker. At our Pennsylvania St. yards inside one of the regulator stations that gas main is still marked with a studebaker sign. Nothing real interesting but I bet most people havn't seen it. There are several gas meters in the basement of the former body plant on Laffayette Stand the first time I went down there I was armed only with a mini-mag light.That dungeon seems to go on forever especially in the dark. I'm done rambling now.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    In late '58, it was still Con Allen Studebaker Sales:

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/the-...-11-26/page-6/

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Sorry, already scheduled for the body shop this April. Thanks for the offer though.
    I was joking, I know it is worth much more, pics after the body shop please.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Per Bob's Studebaker source, the dealer was:

Con Allen Studebaker Sales, Galien, MI (dealer since 1939)

My hunch is that it would have been the same dealer in late '63--could be wrong of course. I have a hard time believing that in a small town like that, the Studebaker dealer would have changed hands if Con Allen wanted to retire or go out of business.
    According to this, Con Allen was a deputy sherriff in Galien in the '20's:

http://northberrienhistory.blogspot....-saturday.html

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    I paid 500.00 but due to sudden unforseen inflation the cars value has crept up (substantialy). LOL. It does in deed have a 4 speed. The transmission is yellow. Was that the factory color? Also as I have stated before there is no stamping on the machined area of the engine where the id should be. does anyone know who the dealer in Galien may have been?
    Per Bob's Studebaker source, the dealer was:

Con Allen Studebaker Sales, Galien, MI (dealer since 1939)

My hunch is that it would have been the same dealer in late '63--could be wrong of course. I have a hard time believing that in a small town like that, the Studebaker dealer would have changed hands if Con Allen wanted to retire or go out of business.

Leave a comment:

• wiley
    replied
    Sorry, already scheduled for the body shop this April. Thanks for the offer though.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    I paid 500.00 but due to sudden unforseen inflation the cars value has crept up (substantialy). LOL.

Substantially? I will offer you a 20% profit.....that is $600.00...CASH

Leave a comment:

• wiley
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    The only thing I would really like to see regarding that cars shipping...is it shipped to my house...lol. I am in love with GT Hawks these day. Most are out of my price range, but that $500 GT would be right up my alley....don't tell my wife.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It would be very interesting to see the "Shipper" copy at the Museum, to see if the original order was cancelled or not and also if it was not shipped to Galien, MI at all!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Rich, could be, but I think if that were the case, we'd see "Lot 151" or something like it, in the 'destination' block instead of Galien, MI. Maybe "Galien" would have been added later in handwriting or a different font. I wonder if the customer decided on a 4-speed after the initial order was placed? Or, if there was a shortage of overdrives and a 4-speed was substituted? Or, if there was a production goof? There was no ship date on the form as the dealer picked the car up at the plant.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    I wonder what the 4-speed ----3.73 ratio, that's written in by hand all about?
    wiley, does your Car have the 3 Speed Overdrive Column shift or the 4 Speed Floor Shift Trans. ?

Due to the late '63 ordered date and since there is no date shipped, this order COULD have been filled from the Factory unsold Car lot and modified after production, or the order changed to 4 Speed & 3.73 Rear before production.

Update: Well what do you know! I found this from 12/27/2011:

Quote wiley: "I took the leap.
    I recently posted an inquiry about Hawk GT values. Well today I found out that the vehicle is a 1964 with 4 speed. Ser.no. 64V-I2807. I was preparred to offer 1500.00 but The wonderful, wonderful owner of the car said she was asking 500.00, so what could I do but oblige her. I will pick it up next week and let the bloodied knuckles and dirty finger nails begin, not to mention the grinding of the teeth, graying of the hair and over-all frustration. But hey thats why we have hobbies isn't it?" Unquote

I think I would look for a "hand cut" hole in the Trans. Tunnel!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Interesting about the 4-speed and 3.73--I saw the scribbling but didn't look close enough to make it out. I wonder if the car was actually built with a 4-speed instead of the OD column-shift 3-speed trans?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X