Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN-60
    replied
    I wonder what the 4-speed ----3.73 ratio, that's written in by hand all about?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    I see Galien, MI is quite near South Bend. Here's some data on the town:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galien,_Michigan

Wow, I thought I was from a small town. Galien has 593 residents!

Apparently it's pronounced "guh-LEEN".

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Hi Michael,

Your Hawk was originally built in Horizon Green, which was a light metallic green. The "GC" stands for 'green cloth' and vinyl upholstery; the "OD" is overdrive transmission, the "Climatizer" is what Studebaker called their heater and defroster system, and Hill Holder should help you from rolling back on hills. The "Sold Rush" means that a retail customer ordered the car from the Galien, MI dealer. The "Belts L&R" mean seat belts, left and right. The car was built without a radio and was built with blackwall tires, since neither "Radio" nor "White Sidewalls" is listed on the production order form. The car did not have power steering or brakes, either, since those are not mentioned on the form. This means your Hawk was built with drum brakes all around and a single master cylinder.

"Walker" was the name of one of the transport companies that Studebaker utilized. The "Hold for Dealer" meant that Walker shouldn't put the car on a truck, but that the dealer would pick it up in person. I see on the map that Galien, MI is quite near South Bend. On my old '63 Lark the paperwork said "Walker to Hold for Customer". I later found out the retail customer picked the car up at the South Bend plant himself.

They don't widely advertise this (and for the life of me I can't figure that out!), but the Museum can also forward you the "Drive Away Shipper" form for your car, which will also show the name and street address of the dealer the car was sold at, and also will have two different style cards that would tell you whom the original purchaser was. The latter style card will show what he traded in and also what his occupation was. From my experience there, I believe all three of these forms I mentioned could be found within the Museum archive's $25/hour research time, with a quarter for each copy made. I don't believe any other make of car has this kind of availability of source paperwork.
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wiley
    started a topic production order interpretation.

production order interpretation.

Can anyone help by interpreting all of thid p.o. some things I don't understand. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
Working...
X