Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the "Polish" dinner at the AOAI international meet this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the "Polish" dinner at the AOAI international meet this year?

    Someone asked me about it, and I have no idea....I know some events may have the word 'polish' (like 'polish the car') in them...or is it a Polish dinner, with food from Poland or Polish folks?!

    Seriously, I have the question!

    Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

  • #2
    It's just for Polish members of the AOAI, or, your Avanti must have been built in Poland ! stupak

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a seven-course meal: a kielbasa sausage and a six-pack, Zywiec beer if available.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

      '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Think of the trouble we'd have if Meguiar's polish was polish?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

        Washington State

        Comment


        • #5
          I think it is a buffet provided by mbstude.

          Comment


          • #6
            As you may know, a huge part of the population in the South Bend area is of Polish descent. Since the dinner will be at the museum, I suppose it will be catered by one of the local Polish restaurants. Don't know what they're serving; maybe a sampler of popular dishes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              As you may know, a huge part of the population in the South Bend area is of Polish descent. Since the dinner will be at the museum, I suppose it will be catered by one of the local Polish restaurants. Don't know what they're serving; maybe a sampler of popular dishes.
              Thanks Dwain; that's as logical an answer as I think is out there!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                Someone asked me about it, and I have no idea....I know some events may have the word 'polish' (like 'polish the car') in them...or is it a Polish dinner, with food from Poland or Polish folks?! Seriously, I have the question! Thanks.
                The "Polish (style) Dinner" ...at least what it has evolved into now days around South Bend is:

                Polish Sausage (Kielbasa)
                Breaded & baked Chicken
                Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
                Noodles (Kluski)
                Seasoned Green Beans
                Sweet-sour Cabbage
                Dinner Rolls & Butter

                There can of course be variations to the above; i.e. cooked ham in addition to fried chichen OR in lieu of.

                Many restaurants, clubs & organizations around South Bend feature "Polish (style) Dinner" specials, so even if can't make the AOAI's dinner, you can still find one and ENJOY!!!

                Both of the Honkers Restaurants on Saturdays from 3-8 pm offer a "Polish Dinner Buffet." Their advertising current claims to have been; "VOTED BEST POLISH DINNER IN MICHIANA!" (Michiana - meaning in the greater South Bend area).
                Last edited by Welcome; 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  There are several restaurants in South Bend that promote these Polish Dinners and the AOAI dinner is coming from the Skillet Restaurants which the Museum highly recommended and meet co-directors Mike Baker and Max Starkey sampled it and it is excellent.

                  The menu will be your choice of Broasted or skillet baked chicken, The Skillets special recipe Polish Sausage, Kluski Noodles, Mashed Potates and gravey, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Seasoned Green Beans, Skillet Biscuits & Honey , a Dessert Bar and drinks for $20.00 Bucks which includes entry to the Museum. I have been wanting to write promoting this Polish Buffet and our guest speakers, especially Dan Booth,Jon Myers and Roger Penn. I believe these three men are the greatest authorities on the Avanti in the world and they will have a question and answer session in which they will answer any Avanti related questions directed to them. Mike is also bringing in Bob Andrews sons to speak on the Avanti clay models .
                  Lew Schucart
                  Editor, Avanti Magazine

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                    There are several restaurants in South Bend that promote these Polish Dinners and the AOAI dinner is coming from the Skillet Restaurants which the Museum highly recommended and meet co-directors Mike Baker and Max Starkey sampled it and it is excellent.

                    The menu will be your choice of Broasted or skillet baked chicken, The Skillets special recipe Polish Sausage, Kluski Noodles, Mashed Potates and gravey, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Seasoned Green Beans, Skillet Biscuits & Honey , a Dessert Bar and drinks for $20.00 Bucks which includes entry to the Museum. I have been wanting to write promoting this Polish Buffet and our guest speakers, especially Dan Booth,Jon Myers and Roger Penn. I believe these three men are the greatest authorities on the Avanti in the world and they will have a question and answer session in which they will answer any Avanti related questions directed to them. Mike is also bringing in Bob Andrews sons to speak on the Avanti clay models .
                    Thank you Lew. The 'Mary Anne' who has been mentioned on this forum, on the AOAI Forum, and the AACA Forum--the one whose 'new' Avanti serial no. R-2837 was just found last week in Ocala, FL--is thinking about seeing what a South Bend meet is all about, along with her husband Jerry. She asked me about the Polish dinner and I had no idea! She is a new AOAI member by the way. I think it'd be great to show her in person what a great group both the SDC and the AOAI are!
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was hoping they would come to the meet. As a teen I lived just west of where they live now. Would like to talk with them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                        I was hoping they would come to the meet. As a teen I lived just west of where they live now. Would like to talk with them.
                        I hope they come, too, Dwain. I told Mary Anne in an email she's most likely never seen as many Avantis in one place as she would at the meet this summer!
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          South Bend, here we come! Jerry is up for the Kielbasa, and I'm ready to dig into the fried chicken! Then we'll go see as many Avantis as we can. I'd just like to drive one home forever... We are both looking forward to meeting all of you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mary Anne View Post
                            South Bend, here we come! Jerry is up for the Kielbasa, and I'm ready to dig into the fried chicken! Then we'll go see as many Avantis as we can. I'd just like to drive one home forever... We are both looking forward to meeting all of you.
                            'Looking forward to meeting you and seeing you have a good time, Mary Anne.

                            Be sure to bring your check book, too, if you're at all serious. I can't imagine there not being an Avanti or two for sale, possibly something to your liking.

                            If you bought it in Indiana while the license branch was open, you could even buy a drive-away plate to let you legally drive it home. ('Better and easier to bring your own spare plate, though; plates stay with the seller in Indiana.) BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                            Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                            G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No worries - I'll talk my way out of a ticket if without legal plate!!! Howerver, thanks for the heads up on Indiana's regs. Thanks, Bob.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X