Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$148,500!!!! I think this is a new record for any Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $148,500!!!! I think this is a new record for any Studebaker?

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...ideshow-5.html
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Impressive but a few 1931 and '32 Presidents have sold for more. Of course there are also private sales that no one hears about.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I also think I would take issue with the Times claim that Studebaker fans are rejoicing....
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

This one can be had for less than 1/2 % of that selling cost, every thing is there just needs to be worked on some , also 95% rust free, engine spins easy, "O" compression still worth the money.

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

1/2% is way over the top for that one too.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I am a 'dyed in the wool' Studebaker owner and enthusiast, BUT....what did Barnum say, "There's a sucker born every minute!" stupak

Comment

Show me the money......

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                1/2% is way over the top for that one too.
                Maybe but find a rust free "K" body, roof can be fixed and I might still do that if my body man ever finds time add up the parts of a Golden hawk and then say 1/2% is over the top, looks are not every thing, I wonder what the guy in Minnesota has into his at this time changing the floors ect..
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Stupak, you beat me to the punch. I was thinking the exact same thing. That's why I don't even watch the Barrett Jackson auctions. All it tells me is that some people have more money than brains.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I personally think its good that some of our rare Studebaker (that deserve it) go for the big bucks ! Cars that are as rare as a Golden Hawk deserve to be recognized instead of staying at the bottom of the heap .There are a few more that should be up there as well but sure most probably shouldn't. I do agree that B-J is too far out but it is entertaining and I'm sure there is a little part of all of us that wish we could be able to bid with those boys <g>
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I certainly don't want to 'bid with those boys' BUT.....I would certainly like to 'sell to those boys'. stupak

Comment

All it takes is two bidders wanting the car. The good thing about this auction is that it exposes the Studebaker brand to more people and may induce them to save some cars that might not survive otherwise.

The sad thing is that some will find out such restorations cost more than the value of the car on the market. Just because someone pays that price at a high profile auction doesn't mean it sets a new market value for similar cars. It's an anomaly, not a new benchmark for values.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

"The winner paid more than the best ’57 Chevy would sell for — a price unlikely to be repeated soon."

Even the New York Times understands the meaning of the acronym "C.A.S.O."!

The Hawk is transforming into something bigger than some in this little group may want. Yes, it's kind of like a family member that makes it big somehow and gets some uncomfortable stares at family gatherings. We all may not like it or understand it. But, the Hawk is our postwar "Star". Avanti owners used to be the ones who were considered by some of us to have a sort of superiority complex. It's not in our DNA to understand how a regular, steel bodied Studebaker could do something like this to us. I'm not even sure many of us would like this if it was one of the more "pure", "clean" designs, like a 53 Coupe or the Avanti.

The Golden Hawk wears the most stunning prom dress and drew the attention of the star quarterback. It's certainly becoming our Postwar Homecoming Queen. It's looking like Princess Grace is moving to Monaco, one sale at a time!

I had a local auctioneer that has put on Studebaker sales for some others I've known, come to the barn recently (before the B-J sale) and look at my cars to evaluate putting on a sale, in case I have to move to find work. The car he was least excited about was my Avanti. He asked if my '55 Champion was a Hawk. When I replied no, he was greatly disappointed. He said "Well, it looks like one, so somebody will bid it up." Like it or not, the Golden Hawk is becoming our signature car.

We had nothing to do with it. People are speaking with their wallets as to what they see in our portfolio and like.

Yes, I'm pleased as punch this is happening. With traditional monetary investments returning zero or negative results, we all should be very thankful one of our very own is proving some mettle with the public as an investment grade collector car. Makes it easier for our families to benefit at some point from what they thought was our sickness. We can hold our heads just as high as any previously superior member of the dreaded "Big Three". Even if one never sells for this much again, it's blazed a trail of respect and value for Studebaker no one should be ashamed of.

I'm a strong believer the hobby is separating into investment grade cars and drivers. This won't pull the price of driver condition cars into the stratosphere. Rather, it puts us on a level playing field with people who used to poke fun at our Marque. You can still buy a 57 Ford or Chevy sedan for reasonable money.
                          Last edited by 556063; 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I think it's a case of supply and demand. That car is absolutely gorgeous and so different from everything else out there. People are tired of the same old cars (Camaros, Tri five Chevy's, etc.). People who have the money don't want the same thing everyone else has. Plus the quality of that restoration is awesome. Many Studebakers just aren't restored to that kind of standard because of the perceived low values. Heck, my 62 Lark gets more attention at cruise nights than my 86 Buick Grand National. If I could afford it I'd have a Hawk like that too. better get 'em before they priced into the stratosphere.

Comment

People are tired of the same old cars (Camaros, Tri five Chevy's, etc.)..... Heck, my 62 Lark gets more attention at cruise nights than my 86 Buick Grand National.
                              Tis true, Doug. Once at a show my rusty, dented '49 Champion sedan drew 3 times as much traffic as my brother's metallic orange '69 Corvette, and my nephew's bright red '70 Charger. It was hilarious!
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X