Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    I would suggest saving the windows and regulators. The glass may be gone, but the frames are still plenty usable, and they can be used in the 53-58 C/K's. I had to replace a couple of windows in the '55, and I didn't want to go through the expense of getting new windows made, so when I went to the May meet I picked up some good passenger front and rear windows instead. I can't remember what was all that was involved with the passenger window, but I had to disassemble the two windows for a decent set of rollers that were still in the original passenger window. I also needed a C/K passenger regulator since the mechanism in the regulator in the car had long since rusted and seized. This was another item I was able to get at the May meet for a decent sum. Let's just say for the guy with a C/K that doesn't need everything new, these things can be a heck of a buy if they're still good .

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I live 3 minutes north of Phenix City. Gee Matt ......??? Anyways, I'm glad you ended up with it. I've seen many restorable projects turn to crap over the years, because owners were going to restore it "someday".
    my uncle insists that he will restore the wagon in my sig. He has said this for at least 15 years. Was in storage for 35.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I live 3 minutes north of Phenix City. Gee Matt ......??? Anyways, I'm glad you ended up with it. I've seen many restorable projects turn to crap over the years, because owners were going to restore it "someday".
    I had planned to call you, but we were already loading up the car before I thought about it. I'll be sure to remember to call you on the next Packard Hawk.

I agree, it's a shame that this car was left to rot. The owner was going to restore it (you all know the story). Sure, he saved it from being crushed 15 years ago, but I'll bet it was a very restorable car when he got it. Today, there's no floors to speak of. The bottom plate of the frame is rusted away. It's a parts car, and a poor one at that.
    Last edited by mbstude; 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Save the front half of those fenders and the inner fenders by the core support.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Very worthwhile all the way around, Matthew; congrats. 'Job well done.

(BTW, you ask about Dale McPhearson periodically. Be sure to see the Good News Dale McPhearson post and photos from our Indy Chapter SDC Meet & Eat Saturday, January 28.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Someone asked about this car's story. Now that I'm back home and can use a computer to post instead of my phone, here it is.

I got a call a few months ago from Ed Reynolds. He told me that he had been contacted by someone in Georgia that had a Packard Hawk for sale. He gave me the guy's name and number and that was the extent of our conversation. I called the guy, told him who I was and explained my involvement with Studebakers, and he told me about the car. I knew it was a junker parts car, but the price was right so a deal was made. It wasn't until this past week that I was able to retrieve it. Curtis French and George Klutkowski came to the rescue. Curtis has the Cummins diesel and a trailer, and George has the Studebaker bone yard where the remains would end up.

Thursday we all met up in Phenix City, Alabama with the car owner. He took us deep, DEEP into the woods. I was expecting banjos. We found the carcass of a Packard Hawk and George wanted to turn around and go home. The car is that bad. I pointed out a few good parts and he got back into the groove and after about 3 hours, we had the car loaded on the trailer and were on the road to Tallahassee. I spend Friday picking off the good parts, which isn't much at all. The rotted leftovers will sit out in George's bone yard until he does a scrap run.

The owner bought the car about 15-20 years ago, and it'd been sitting in the woods since then. He found the car on the top of a stack of 5 cars in a junk yard. He knew what the car was and put forth the effort to save it. Which he did, although his storage conditions left a lot to be desired.

I managed to save the supercharger mount, tensioner, and crank pulley, which have already found new homes. I also have the faux tire overlay for the trunk, and beat up front bumper assembly, some stainless trim, a very rough hood, cowl tag, and some interior parts. That's about it. I'll be listing most of that on ebay tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Matt,
    Thanks for saving what you could.
    ~Matt
    '59 Lark 2-door
    Jefferson City, MO

Leave a comment:

• bonehead007
    replied
    Shame to see a rare car like that left to rot. Submit the photo to Hemmings for the 2013 edition of the Abandoned Autos calendar.

Leave a comment:

• aarrggh
    replied
    O`Dam :: There goes an awesome one of a kind rat rod project down the drain . .

Leave a comment:

• hausdok
    replied
    If you look at the photo in post #32 above you'll see a Packard 2dr just above the PH in that picture. It's painted jewel beige as the primary with a shadowtone red metallic roof.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    That's just dying for a chevy engine,(appropriate for it's condition). Make it a rat rod
    I believe the rats have already had their way with it!

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    That's just dying for a chevy engine,(appropriate for it's condition). Make it a rat rod

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Isn't this GH Joe's? Reds were (and probably still are) BAD for aging fast, and I do believe the roof on Matt's car was Shadowtone Red.

Craig
    Yes, yes, and yes, Craig; confirm and/or agree on all points. BP

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Isn't this GH Joe's? Reds were (and probably still are) BAD for aging fast, and I do believe the roof on Matt's car was Shadowtone Red.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Going by the firewall, I think Jewel Beige was the main color on this car with Shadowtone Red as the secondary color. Joe's is the opposite, I believe. Craig
    Could be, Craig....in which case, Matthew's car would have had a darker roof than main body. Quite possible, from what can be seen. BP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X