No announcement yet.

My new Packard Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting color report from Squire Quinn; Shadowtone Red & Jewel Beige.

Take a look at that combination on Joe Parson's gorgeous 1958 Golden Hawk in the dramatic color spray on Pages 27-32 of the September 2007 Turning Wheels to get an idea of how pretty Matthew's subject PH was when new.

Sad indeed to see its fate...but worse things have happened; at least it wasn't crushed before being parted. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Going by the firewall, I think Jewel Beige was the main color on this car with Shadowtone Red as the secondary color. Joe's is the opposite, I believe. Here is one in all-Jewel Beige:

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 01-28-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Going by the firewall, I think Jewel Beige was the main color on this car with Shadowtone Red as the secondary color. Joe's is the opposite, I believe. Craig
        Could be, Craig....in which case, Matthew's car would have had a darker roof than main body. Quite possible, from what can be seen. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Isn't this GH Joe's? Reds were (and probably still are) BAD for aging fast, and I do believe the roof on Matt's car was Shadowtone Red.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Isn't this GH Joe's? Reds were (and probably still are) BAD for aging fast, and I do believe the roof on Matt's car was Shadowtone Red.

Craig
            Yes, yes, and yes, Craig; confirm and/or agree on all points. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

That's just dying for a chevy engine,(appropriate for it's condition). Make it a rat rod
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                That's just dying for a chevy engine,(appropriate for it's condition). Make it a rat rod
                I believe the rats have already had their way with it!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you look at the photo in post #32 above you'll see a Packard 2dr just above the PH in that picture. It's painted jewel beige as the primary with a shadowtone red metallic roof.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

O`Dam :: There goes an awesome one of a kind rat rod project down the drain . .

Comment

Shame to see a rare car like that left to rot. Submit the photo to Hemmings for the 2013 edition of the Abandoned Autos calendar.

Comment

Matt,
                        Thanks for saving what you could.
                        ~Matt
                        '59 Lark 2-door
                        Jefferson City, MO
                        ~Matt Connor
                        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Someone asked about this car's story. Now that I'm back home and can use a computer to post instead of my phone, here it is.

I got a call a few months ago from Ed Reynolds. He told me that he had been contacted by someone in Georgia that had a Packard Hawk for sale. He gave me the guy's name and number and that was the extent of our conversation. I called the guy, told him who I was and explained my involvement with Studebakers, and he told me about the car. I knew it was a junker parts car, but the price was right so a deal was made. It wasn't until this past week that I was able to retrieve it. Curtis French and George Klutkowski came to the rescue. Curtis has the Cummins diesel and a trailer, and George has the Studebaker bone yard where the remains would end up.

Thursday we all met up in Phenix City, Alabama with the car owner. He took us deep, DEEP into the woods. I was expecting banjos. We found the carcass of a Packard Hawk and George wanted to turn around and go home. The car is that bad. I pointed out a few good parts and he got back into the groove and after about 3 hours, we had the car loaded on the trailer and were on the road to Tallahassee. I spend Friday picking off the good parts, which isn't much at all. The rotted leftovers will sit out in George's bone yard until he does a scrap run.

The owner bought the car about 15-20 years ago, and it'd been sitting in the woods since then. He found the car on the top of a stack of 5 cars in a junk yard. He knew what the car was and put forth the effort to save it. Which he did, although his storage conditions left a lot to be desired.

I managed to save the supercharger mount, tensioner, and crank pulley, which have already found new homes. I also have the faux tire overlay for the trunk, and beat up front bumper assembly, some stainless trim, a very rough hood, cowl tag, and some interior parts. That's about it. I'll be listing most of that on ebay tonight.

Comment

Very worthwhile all the way around, Matthew; congrats. 'Job well done.

(BTW, you ask about Dale McPhearson periodically. Be sure to see the Good News Dale McPhearson post and photos from our Indy Chapter SDC Meet & Eat Saturday, January 28.) BP
                            Last edited by BobPalma; 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I live 3 minutes north of Phenix City. Gee Matt ......??? Anyways, I'm glad you ended up with it. I've seen many restorable projects turn to crap over the years, because owners were going to restore it "someday".
                              Save the front half of those fenders and the inner fenders by the core support.
                              Last edited by bezhawk; 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                                I live 3 minutes north of Phenix City. Gee Matt ......??? Anyways, I'm glad you ended up with it. I've seen many restorable projects turn to crap over the years, because owners were going to restore it "someday".
                                I had planned to call you, but we were already loading up the car before I thought about it. I'll be sure to remember to call you on the next Packard Hawk.

I agree, it's a shame that this car was left to rot. The owner was going to restore it (you all know the story). Sure, he saved it from being crushed 15 years ago, but I'll bet it was a very restorable car when he got it. Today, there's no floors to speak of. The bottom plate of the frame is rusted away. It's a parts car, and a poor one at that.
                                Last edited by mbstude; 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X