No announcement yet.

My new Packard Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize the story of this car has been told, but I missed it. How did it come to be left, to become what it is today? I always loved finding cars like this when I was a young Studebaker enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Does it even have a frame or chassis under it, Matthew?

Be sure to save the Serial Number and Body Number tags. The Biblical account of Lazarus comes to mind....<GGG> BP
      Lazarus? Maybe. But I'm thinking more of Ezekiel's story of "The valley of the Dry Bones".
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
        Lazarus? Maybe. But I'm thinking more of Ezekiel's story of "The valley of the Dry Bones".
        I dunno, Neil. I, too, am anxiously anticipating the Second Coming, so if Matthew speaks over those dry bones and it arises and he drives it away, please post the occurance immediately! <GGG> BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
          Will that front end fit your wagon?
          No, it will not (necessary extra words).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That Hawk is restorable. I remember being involved in the restoration of a 1955 Speedster that was much worse and became a show car. I do believe that it is worth more in parts (like an Avanti that needs a lot). I can remember those front bumper ends as being very rare and expensive in the early 1970s. Of course, anything, like that, that is Packard Hawk specific should be saved.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the speedo head will fit my 55, I'm interested, Matt. Good luck with it!
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

This car is rough. Beyond rough. It's spent the past 20 years in the Alabama mud, deep in the woods. Prior to that it was in a junk yard, and likely because of that, there is no serial number tag.

Usable parts consist of a very rough hood, some beat up stainless, the fake spare tire overlay, and a small box of a few small parts. Inside the car I found some engine parts, a few rods, bearings, a water manifold, supercharger pulley and mount with tensioner. Other than that.. None of the sheetmetal is worth saving or anything else. No guages in the dash, etc. The body is shot as is the frame.

I found a twisted, broken half of a rod. I assume that and being hit in the front fender is what led to the car being put in the junk yard.

For what it's worth, the body number is 105.

Last edited by mbstude; 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Looks fun Matt. Did you need any tools, or did you just pull firmly??

Comment

That front bumper as well as some of the glass look useable in addition to the rest of the trim (and maybe the rear fenders).
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

That will look right at home at George's place...Almost a homecoming
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                        That front bumper as well as some of the glass look useable
                        Front bumper, yes.
                        Windshield is busted. Backlight maybe but, new is available. All other glass is flat and cheaply replaceable anywhere.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The 4 fenders, doors, and trunk lid are all garbage. None of the glass is usable except maybe the 2 quarter windows. And I think you can still get those NOS.

Comment

Hi Matt,

PM sent.
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

As far as the front clip fitting my wagon, there is a 58 Packard wagon not too far from home. But it's at least as rough as this Packard Hawk, maybe worse.
                              Mike, reply sent.

Comment

For what it is worth the serial on this car was 58-LS 1104, it was assembled in Nov. 1957 with engine #LS5326 and was one of only two Packard Hawks finished in Jewel Beige and Shadowtone Red Metallic. Probably a pretty stunning car when new!
                                Richard Quinn
                                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                                X