This does concern me..........we could use some "new blood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Does NC have mandatory insurance and annual state inspections for all cars, no matter what age? This and climate have a bearing on how many older cars are driven by younger people.
    Mr. L.
    in NC, vehicles 35 years or older are exempt from yearly inspections. however, any vehicle from out of state has to have the "proper" paperwork (title, etc) that satisfies a "dmv investigator", before it can be titled in the state. both of my studebakers were from out of state and had to go through this process. the investigator mainly checks the serial number to make sure it's not stolen. i had a problem with my avanti because he couldn't find the "hidden" serial number. it took 2 trips to resolve that problem. i recall jamie had problems with his purchase from matthew due to bill of sale/title issues that are different in NC than GA.

mandatory insurance is required in NC, however there are many that show "proof of insurance" at the dmv, then stop paying the insurance company, therefore have no insurance. this has increased significantly due to our influx of, ahem, "immigrants" . one will get insurance, and the vehicle will be driven by folks that have no license.
    a uninsured or underinsured premium is a must...

jamie, joe, jack, and others add anything i may have left out.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

• I'm 44 with a family. I'm restoring a 1964 Challenger 2-door sedan. It is being converted to a 299 cu.in. R1, 4 spd. car. If I did have help from a friend that's a vendor and my father, this wouldn't have happened. This hobby is NOT cheap. I'd agree Studebaker's are more reasonable to buy/restore than anything the Big Three put out. These kids today would rather spend their money going out, or on themselves. I grew up learning how to work on cars from my father and grandfather. My 17 year old son has zero interest in learning, it's just not "cool" to work on an old car. Leaves the future of the hobby uncertain for sure.

Comment

• Seems i get the best Stude talk when bumping into people at the car wash or gas station or even just leaving my garage door open with the car sticking out a bit . . What is that they say .

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
          .... or even just leaving my garage door open with the car sticking out a bit . . What is that they say .
          Here is yet another thing that the modern life has ruined. I live in an Association that does not
          allow the garage door to be left open when not in use, nor does it allow any jacking up of the
          car in the driveway. My psycho next door neighbor (who has assaulted my dad and I and also
          threatened to kill me) does not care for my car hobby (though I'd lived here for 6 years before
          he moved his dysfunctional family in). When I do anything on my car he is out there with his
          digital camera taking pictures to submit to the HOA. Cars and the car hobby are seen by Prius
          Generationites to be disruptive and an eye sore. They see it has ruining the environment, as I
          mentioned earlier .. this is thanks to celebrities pounding this into daily
          life for the last decade. For some reason its "better" to buy a foreign car using new material
          carrying hundreds of pounds of toxic chemicals that has no plan for disposal than restoring
          one of the many already built cars spread across this once great Country.

What IS recycling? Crushing or Resto-modding?

Tom
          Last edited by showbizkid; 01-30-2012, 09:11 AM. Reason: Political comment removed
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

• Been hooked on cars since i rode my bicycle to the drag races back in the early fiftys 50. Coolest car there for me was a 54 Oldsmobile that really smoked the tires, even remember the guys name to this day, Don East. Saw a 52 Studebaker run and a year or two later saw a 56 Golden Hawk run. But what really got me into Studebakers was Hot Rod Magazine, and Bonneville. The 53-55 Studebakers were so cool with racing disc. Who could not love a 53-55 C or K. Along the way i also fell in love with Bullet Nose Studes. I have a 54 K now and have had it for several years, also have a 51 Business coupe, But never got into Larks till i went to the South Bend swap meet, and saw a black 64 Lark with racing slicks on it.
            So my take on it is, You can hardly force anyone into the club unless he has seen a Studebaker. We need to get out to more than just Studebaker meets with our cars. Make the National meets on weekends also, so people can see them. Most people work from monday to friday. Why can't we get this thru the the officers heads. I've heard all the reasons why they don't want to do it, just if you want new meat (people) into the club show em off to the public. Even if you only try this for a year or two.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

• Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              Make the National meets on weekends also, so people can see them. Most people work from monday to friday. Why can't we get this thru the the officers heads. I've heard all the reasons why they don't want to do it, just if you want new meat (people) into the club show em off to the public. Even if you only try this for a year or two.
              Exactly. Basically they are setting the club up for failure if they want any non-retirees to attend. How many younger working people have the possibility of even taking a week off for a meet?

Heather

Comment

• Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                Make the National meets on weekends also, so people can see them. Most people work from monday to friday..
                X3

An International Meet is our biggest opportunity of the year to show the public the finest collection of Studebakers they are ever going to see. It seems borderline silly to have the concours on a Thursday when all the locals in the area are at work. In fact, there really isn't a weekend day at an IM when the public can see more than a few cars. We are blowing our biggest opportunity as a club to show the public Studebakers.

We may have done this before, but it would be good to find out the profile of those that attend IM's. How many are retired and could attend virtually any days of the week? How many attend the full meet and how many come only Wednesday through Saturday for the concours? How many of those that come only for the concours would be just as happy coming on Friday and leaving Sunday?

How about a Wednesday through Sunday meet? Activities Wednesday-Friday. Car show on Saturday. Break the big judged classes up so that there are no more than 15 or so cars in a class so that judging can finish fairly early and scores can be tabulated before a Saturday night banquet. Folks leave Sunday AM. Lots of local promotion ahead of time to encourage locals to attend the FREE car show on Saturday.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

• Dick , this all sounds well and good but I like most booked my vacation week the time the International was on ( at least before I retired) Saturday and sunday were travel days ....back to work on monday.It would have been difficult for me to book holidays overlapping two different weeks.Some people have trouble booking holidays even if its not a full week over a 2 week span. I agree that the locals are mostly working while we're having our car show but whats stopping the International from having some kind of evening show , heck in the summer it doesn't get dark till almost 10 in most places.This would give locals a chance to see the cars also.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

• Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    Dick , this all sounds well and good but I like most booked my vacation week the time the International was on ( at least before I retired) Saturday and sunday were travel days ....back to work on monday.It would have been difficult for me to book holidays overlapping two different weeks.Some people have trouble booking holidays even if its not a full week over a 2 week span. I agree that the locals are mostly working while we're having our car show but whats stopping the International from having some kind of evening show , heck in the summer it doesn't get dark till almost 10 in most places.This would give locals a chance to see the cars also.
                    I agree that if the majority of our membership is still working, needs 2 days travel time to get to and from the meet, and attends the entire 5-6 day meet, then we should probably keep doing what we are doing. My point was that I don't think we know that. We should find out, THEN determine if we want to make some changes.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

• One thing I love about working on the Stude is that whenever it gets pushed out of the garage. Plenty of folks stop to look at it and talk to me about it. A majority are older guys who had a Stude and remember the good old days. The younger kids who walk by seem to just stare with a "wtf?" look on their faces.
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

• Originally posted by (s) View Post
                        try taking your tw to the parts store, doctor office etc, and tell them to give it away after a week or 2 of being looked at. If only 6,000 members did this, wow!
                        A VERY good idea!!! Who has done this???

Comment

• Now these have been some good ideas.
                          I like the evening stuff and weekend stuff. I went to the PSW zone meet {I think PSW the san diego meet a couple of months back} and I got there eat like 8 am and the thing seemed like it was dead already and people were leaving by noonish. I guarantee most of the younger generation are not up and out before noon on a sat or sun morning. Make the car show and swap meet from noon to 10pm and you will get much more NON stude folks show up. LOTS of advertising before hand. Keep it more visible. That meet was great, but it was buried way in the back of a buried parking lot behind a hotel.
                          I talked to a few people that "happened by" the show and they loved the cars, but it was few and far between. Little things can make a huge difference.
                          I truely thing many kids are not interested in vintage cars...but not everyone throughout time has been interested in Studes even in their heyday. It will always be a limited number of folks into Studes. MANY younger folks ARE looking for a cool project car to build. Many may not even care what it is, they just want a PRE_SMOG car which in Cali is about 1973 or 74 right now. So many kids wanting a simple car to hot rod or build and our Studes are a great candidate for many. I have many young friends who love older and vintage cars and trucks who are just loving my truck. They are out there, we just need to get the kids to see them.

Comment

• I usually get in on toward the end of these long threads

I have been a SDC member since 1979: I met a Husker chapter member in a local salvage yard after a clean up auction (I bough two larks) and he gave me an SDC membership form and decades later here I am

On international meets, I have only attended two: Omaha... the meet hotel was 45 minutes up I80 from my house and Cedar Rapids, we stayed with my sister in laws family. I doubt that I will attend many others because of the cost.

Jeff T.
                            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                            The Replacements.

Comment

• So did anyone else notice that "Welcome" brought up a dead thread just as reference to this thread?

I would be VERY interested to find out what the member count was when that thread was started back in 2008 and what it is now in 2012????
                              Anyone have that kind of info available?
                              Are there more, or less club members?
                              Are there more or less website members?
                              What was the peak and when was the peak number of members for each?

Comment

• Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                                So did anyone else notice that "Welcome" brought up a dead thread just as reference to this thread?
                                Kelly, it was a "LIVE" old thread for OVER 4 YEARS until it got "LOCKED" just about an hour ago with no explanation what-so-ever!!!

It now appears most everything I POST or NEW THREADS I start or get MOVED or LOCKEDOld Regime.

Anyway, this will likely be my last post (if it even remains viewable for a minute) so you Guys & Gals keep this Club moving FORWARD and always in an "open & honest" way! And remember, whenever someone new shows an interest in Studebakers, always give them a warm Welcome!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X