This does concern me..........we could use some "new blood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    I have thought about this often. Many of those most active in SDC over the long haul do not have children (examples: Asa H., Larry S., Richard Q., John E., Ed R., Art U., myself [I am possibly wrong on one or two, but there are many more]). Of course, there is an even larger group that have children that have no interest in Studebakers or even collector cars in general.
    No kids here either.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      How many lil' kid's have sat in your Stude.... at a non Stude car show?
      One of the advantages of having driver quality show cars is the smile on the young'uns face when Dad says "Don't touch the car" and I just open the door and let him set inside. A lot of Vrooom, Vrooom and great big smiles.

Can't say if I've ever made a convert or not but it sure makes my day!!

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=BobPalma]'Grandson still has a few years to go....but he's getting the hang of it:

Great pic!

But that is 'inside the fraternity'....
        We need to promote outside our little family.
        (Don't take this wrong, but....)
        So many times I go to a Stude event and the same people hang around the same people and talk about the same stuff...
        And when somebody 'outside' walks by, all they get is a look.
        Or...
        Somebody is parked in a fold up chair behind their Stude looking at people looking at the Stude.
        What good is that?
        What fun is that?
        Attitude is everything!
        Let's have so much fun that it rubs off!
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

as a 57 yr. old (as of last sunday) "youngster". i wanted to put off on any comments on this thread, to see where it was going...

in 2011, i had my first year at car shows with a stude - the '40. everyone i met for the first time in april in our local club were just great!!! a far cry from my corvette days, where some had to make sure my '80 was a "numbers matching" (it was), before they would give me the time of day.

all the shows i was able to attend were non-stude car shows. we had 13 studebakers at the first show. that weekend was one of the best times i've ever had.

the last show i could go to was in july - i had the only stude there - (our club area is quite large, and i don't blame anyone for not making it), besides it was in the 90's -temp and humidity. out of about 350 cars there, i did snag the "original unrestored" award plaque.

i had kids of every age all over it... all i wished i had that day were copies of "The Studebaker Story" and a SDC application form, not to mention "TW" mags...

i'm in this for the long haul, and hope to have my next stude soon. for the cars? - yes. for the people that have the cars? - more so...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

62lark man. When I was a booster club member my children were in high school. we held a couple of car shows as fund raisers. why don't you organize a car show at a high school. We (the club)- with you at point could organize information about Studebaker history, coordinate with the school and perhaps it could be introduced with history and social studies classes. It would be nice if the school had an automotive program. Just a thought, Any of our club members have children/ grand children in high school JR High ? i was at the meeting too we were talking about transmissions remember,keep in touch.

Comment

perhaps they were all just jealous. The car looks very cool, keep in touch,post as often as you like.

Comment

4. CUSTOM AND MODIFIED CARS...Quite frankly, this is the future of the hobby and maybe the future of SDC. I think back on my Model A days. Back then there were more stock Model A's than hot rods. Not today. Same with 36-40 Fords. I can't remember seeing many (if any) stockers recently but I I've see literally hundreds of modified ones in the last year. When was the last time you saw a 50 Mercury with a full height roof? Even 60's muscle cars that everyone was "restoring" several years ago are now being done as "pro street" or "G machines". The one common element I can see over the years in the car hobby is custom and modified cars. Restoring cars works for the age group that knew them when they were new. Custom and modified cars seem to be a much longer lasting part of the car hobby.

I think this is hit the nail right on the head.

Comment

'Grandson still has a few years to go....but he's getting the hang of it:

Great pic!

But that is 'inside the fraternity'....We need to promote outside our little family.

'No offense taken Jeff; I've had that pic for some time and it looked like a good time to post it just for fun.

If you want to see Stude guys having so much fun while doing missionary work that it rubs off, make the trip to The Pure Stock Drags some year if you possibly can. (I know it's a long way.)

The fun rubs off figuratively in the pits...and literally at the starting line. <GGG> BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So many times I go to a Stude event and the same people hang around the same people and talk about the same stuff...
                    Or...
                    Somebody is parked in a fold up chair behind their Stude looking at people looking at the Stude.
                    What good is that?
                    What fun is that?
                    Attitude is everything!
                    This sounds like a typical car show, though not necessarily a Studebaker car show.
                    Perhaps we need to have more Studebaker cruises/driving tours? Everyone is happy when sitting in their Studebaker and driving it with the breeze coming through the front fender vents and the radio playing a tune. Make stops along the way at gas stations, ice cream stands, rest areas, etc. where the general public (many of whom do not attend car shows) can get a good look at your car while they go about their daily routine. Be a little more spontaneous and carefree with our Studes.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      .....Be a little more spontaneous and carefree with our Studes.
                      You mean like letting some "Lark Nerd" you met on a Studebaker forum drive your Hawk to the local Dairy Queen?
                      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

But that is 'inside the fraternity'....
                        We need to promote outside our little family.
                        Or...
                        What good is that?
                        What fun is that?
                        Attitude is everything!

Amen.
                        After 20 years in PR, I'm not shy about talking to people at car shows.
                        Last fall our chapter sponsored an all-make car show up at the nearby orchard during harvest time.

I stayed close to the Avanti and answered a lot of questions. For my effort, my car won the "People's Choice" award.
                        One person in our chapter accused me of politicing, trying too hard to get the award.
                        No, it really wasn't that, I was trying to inform the passer's by. Really.
                        With a car as unusual as a Stude, we've got to interact with the crowd if we want to make the cars more popular and better known.
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I will speak for myself, and tell you all, that it was Turning Wheels that lured me into the Studebaker fold. Not the cars.... My Grandfather was an SDC member and I read his turning wheels second hand. The love for the hobby and the cars grew out of that. I joined SDC myself in 1992, bought my first Studebaker in 1996, and haven't looked back. This particular thread got me to thinkin.............

QUOTE=Welcome;615152] So, thus far the consensus of opinions to this "....we could used some new blood" SEEdonated" over $1,317,500. million more to the Oil Companies (6.2 million miles driven @ 16 a/mpg X $3.40 USD a/pg) to be seen in our Studebakers.

To recap; when all is said & done at the end of this 50th SDC Year, 62,000,000 million people (12,400 X 500 X10) will have seen our Studebakers!!! So when is all this "new blood" supposed to show up in OUR Club???

Plan B:

For about the price of just one half tank of gas, YOU can choose the future "new blood" of OURENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE!!! YOUR New SDC Member will receive 12 monthly issues of YOURTURNING WHEELS magazine to remind them of your gift and to help keep Studebakers always on their mind!!!

To get the SDC off & rolling into its "Second 50 Years of Existence," YOU could help ADD 12,400 "new blood" SDC Members and bring in $297,600. to YOUR Club!!! Start right now, start right here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/giftmembership.asp

Yes, most definitely ...we could use some new bloodPS: I know, I know as unbelievable as it is, the vast majority of OUR fellow SDC Members may not even know about "SDC Gift Memberships" ...because we once again failed to mention the existence of that "membership option" in OUR very own SDC TURNING WHEELS magazine!!!
                          [/QUOTE]
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I agree that the Turning Wheels magazine is a great calling card. That being said, what does it say to a new member when it takes 60 to 90 days after his dues have been paid to get his first issue? I know that "Welcome" on this forum is working to improve this and I applaud him for it. Ir would seem to me that if we want to keep the new folks that join us, we should treat them better than that, maybe even sending their first issue via first class postage so they can get it right away. As a group we MUST look at details like this a take quick action to correct such problems. At the present time I do not see us doing that.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              We talked about this at work today, and a point was made that our cars (Studebakers and others) could never mean the same to the young folk simply because they didn't grow up, and grow old, with them.
                              I agree totally with SN-60. And the time I grew up in is gone forever. In the late 50s and all through the 60s, even 70s, you knew your local mechanic and it was a regular ritual going to the "gas station" on Saturday mornings to get your routine maintenance, oil changes, etc. Going on these trips along with Dad were always interesting for a young car nut like myself because the mechanic was always willing to let you watch repair procedures if you were so inclined, and glad to answer questions about cars and help you to learn. You aren't even allowed to be present when your car is being worked on today. Not to mention that the cars were so much more intersting back then to begin with. Today, cars are, by and large, merely looked upon as appliances and why would any youngster have much interest in them when there are computers, etc., to play with? Further, it was relatively easy back then for those mechanically inclined (or even not, but willing to learn), how to do a lot of repairs yourself at home and become a decent "shade-tree" mechanic. Working on projects at home, automotive or otherwise, has largely fallen by the wayside as a hobby or pastime, and it's more about going to soccer games, etc. It's sad but I don't know that there is any real solution.

Dave Bonn
                              "54 Champion starliner

Comment

fact: right now Detroit is in quite a quandry....why ? Young people don't even want to own cars !

Comment

Working...
                                X