This does concern me..........we could use some "new blood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    I have read through this and began to wonder about how serious the powers to be in the SDC really care about including younger folks in our midst. When Ed Reynolds was SDC President we (Ed, Bob Shaw and I) developed the "21 and Under" project. It was designed to make sure younger Studebaker owners got recognized so they would continue to be contributors to the SDC and to our marque. The program involved organizers of major SDC events. This was to include International and Zone Meets plus significant other SDC events. Organizers who chose to have their events participate were sent cards, signed by Ed and I (as the coordinator of the program). These entitled any person displaying a Studebaker who was 21 years old or younger to a T-Shirt. Those shirts were done by Bill Glass and who sent them out to the recipient. Some organizers actually asked for t-shirts for their event in advance so they could be awarded at the event itself. This too was an option. Over Ed's term in office we got very few people to cooperate with this program. It was put in Turning Wheels, it was put before members of this forum, and notice of it was sent to Zone Coordinators. Once Ed left office the program fell apart. I contacted the then new president about this with no response. I also contacted the SE Zone rep to the board with no response. Was this program a success? Well, I guess it depends on how you measure success. I will never forget the grin on the face to the young man I gave card to at the Lancaster IM. He immediately took it to Bondo who printed up the shirt on the spot. His mother told me lately he was thrilled. I heard of other such responses. Those are successes, but unfortunately because event organizers and many of the leaders of the SDC did not feel it was important enough to actually support. Our new president's comments in the Januarey Turning Wheels were very interesting and lead me to believe that possibly money was the reason for programs like the "21 and Under" project were left to wither up and die. What is all that money for? Attitudes like that will surely hinder any future SDC growth.
    Thank you for sharing that with us here. It is a sad yet very powerful "State of the Club" message that every one of the 12,400 dues paying SDC members should be made aware of.

Comment

4. CUSTOM AND MODIFIED CARS...Quite frankly, this is the future of the hobby and maybe the future of SDC. I think back on my Model A days. Back then there were more stock Model A's than hot rods. Not today. Same with 36-40 Fords. I can't remember seeing many (if any) stockers recently but I I've see literally hundreds of modified ones in the last year. When was the last time you saw a 50 Mercury with a full height roof? Even 60's muscle cars that everyone was "restoring" several years ago are now being done as "pro street" or "G machines". The one common element I can see over the years in the car hobby is custom and modified cars. Restoring cars works for the age group that knew them when they were new. Custom and modified cars seem to be a much longer lasting part of the car hobby.

I couldn't agree more. If the club is really interested in getting younger members it will need to embrace customs and modified cars.
      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Sounds good to me..
        And also keep the stock restored as examples we'll never see again..

Both have a place..but I'm new here and just want every Studebaker saved and on the road..
        They ain't making anymore I hear..

I have had many younger guys fawning over the 53 coupe. Some never HEARD of a Studebaker..yet are doing a 54 Chevy..or a 50s Truck..
        I see a couple GTs here once in awhile. The only 53 I see is a Drag Car..
        Several Trucks..

My coupe draws as much interest as my 52 Jaguar XK120..

Two of the most beautiful cars ever..and both highly mechanically modified..but externally look original or slightly modified..
        Last edited by parts2; 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I got all my buddies interested in Studebakers. The truth is that one of my best friends wants to build a 53 Studebaker more than ever. I now have a reputation for the loudest car on campus (a good thing).
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

Sadly it is not just Studebakers. In my part of the world, the car hobby is dead. There are some big Bay Area shows, but I have yet to meet another car guy, let alone group of people, since i have lived here.(almost 6 years) I am 40 now. My 59 El Camino will draw a crowd, but to mosy young people around here, any old car is an Impala. The last time I drove my coupe, some guy chased me down to ask what year Camaro it was! On the other hand, i was into Studes 15 years before i had any club involvement, and was a go to guy for Stude parts. I did not get treated the best, but still a damn sight better than the mopar and corvette guys.
            In many ways, classic cars is an Era thing, and will really taper off with the Baby Boomer generation. Parts availabilty, on the other hand, says something else, as there are a plethora of new parts that are available now, for cars that don't fit that demographic quite right. Watch the "Rat-Rod, traditional Hot Rod, Car Culture crowd." Building junk has been in for years, but now many are wanting nicer cars, in there own way. and to that group, the "anti Chevy" sentiment is still strong. Right now, all they can afford is unwanted junk, but with more and more classics up for sale, it may become a buyers market. I might even drive my car more, if i could afford the gas.
            they just keep following me home

Comment

To increase interest in vintage cars, you need to establish a vehicle that will attract young persons to them and help them gain an appreciation for them.

This country was losing a lot of its best early American architecture until concerned persons decided to teach architectural conservation. It took a lot of years but now there are colleges all over the country with degree programs in that discipline. Young folks want an interesting profession. If a college were to develop a program aimed at a vintage automobile restoration discipline, and if those in the business of restoring these old cars developed some kind of work-study program that works in concert with those courses, some young folks currently interested in the automotive trade might become interested in vintage car conservation. Once that gets started, you've planted the seeds for the next generation.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Those who comment about the car hobby becoming dead may not have grown up in the age before the Barrett-Jackson days. Back when, if you were a car nut, you were considered nuts. Back when it wasn't cool in almost any circle to be a car guy. Back when style was considered dead and bland "three box" designs ruled the day (Ford Fairmont, etc.). Back when your parents lectured you to abandon your crazy hobby because cars would never be more than a depreciable asset you would lose money on.

The present atmosphere in the car world reminds me so much of the anti-muscle car (or just plain anti-car!) days of the late 70's that I came of age in. Back when you could buy a 60's muscle car for $50 because no one wanted to insure them, and no one could afford to fuel them. History has a strange way of repeating itself.

What was the reaction of the youngsters of the 1975-85 period to those dark car days? Viper & Prowler. Current generation Mustang, Camaro & Challenger. The latter being force fed into development during a period when it's parent company actually worked hard to separate the merged firm from anything to do with it's previous heritage. Seems, despite the best efforts of those who want to stop us, the most powerful motivator can be telling us "NO".

I like what those have said about accepting modified cars. I agree the future hobby won't look like the one we knew. But as it's been said, the cars are timeless. Our star car right now looks to be the finned Hawks. The generations may never come together and agree. But the story will carry on in some way. We just can't predict exactly how.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                  I got all my buddies interested in Studebakers. <<<
                  Very Interesting!!!

Care to share how a 17 year old went about getting all his buddies interested in Studebakers???
                  Maybe we all can learn something. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    I agree with Bob (2R5). That doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing everything that is suggested here (and more) to interest others in Studebakers and the SDC, but I'm not optimistic that we can maintain 13,000 members in the coming years, let alone grow.

I think it is difficult to convince someone who has lusted after a Corvette, or a 57 Chevy, or a GTO, or a 240Z, or a WRX, or whatever...that they should switch and start lusting after a Studebaker. You are just not going to get many converts. We tend to be attracted to the cars that were important to us at the time we were getting interested in cars. Just as many Studebaker enthusiasts would rather "fight than switch", so too would Chevy and Ford (and the Mazda and Honda) guys.

Same with young people. There is not only a big difference between a Honda CRX and a 4 door Lark, but more importantly with the folks that hang around those two cars. The first car I ever did was when I was 15 and restored a 30 Model A coupe...

Keep in mind that this car was only 30 years old at the time. I attended a few Model A club functions and even then found the crowd old and boring. I sold it and bought a black 57 Chevy with a 301 and 4 speed. A much more fun car, and just as important, the crowd to hang out with .

I've told this story before, but at the Spokane meet, I brought this Chevy powered Starliner...

I had an old guy (actually about the same age that I am ) come up to me...look me straight in the eye...and with a quivering upper lip told me "You RUINED this car". I laughed it off, but if another hot rodder had been faced with the same "welcome" they may have been out of there (and out of the SDC) faster than you can say "light up the hides".

I don't hold it against anyone to be passionate about stock Studebakers. Our membership is what it is. It is just that it may not be the membership that young people or hot rodders want to hang out with.

My son (38 years old) is just as car crazy as I am. When he was in high school, he didn't lust after a Studebaker. We built a Scrirocco to run D/Street Prepared auto cross (his choice). Today he instructs for the BMW CCA and races an E36 M3.

http://steinkamp.us/622/bmwcca-at-laguna

In my wildest dreams I can't see him or the anyone in car crowd he hangs with going ga ga over a Studebaker.

So with that said, what CAN we capitalize on?

1. PRICE...Essentially any Studebaker is less expensive to buy and own than most other similar cars. How about that R4 Avanti that John (289stude) just bought for $20k? That would be a 25% down payment on a similar Corvette. A 2 door hardtop 4 speed Lark is about 1/4 the price of a similar Chevy II Nova. A 4 door Lark is close to "give away" and is a fun, unique, nice driving car. Studebakers are a cheap way to get into the collector car hobby.

2. PARTS AVAILABILITY...We are so fortunate to have virtually ANY part available for our cars from a relatively large number of vendors...either NOS, reproduced or used...especially considering the low production numbers. Try finding the same for Hudsons, Ramblers, or other off brands. Even parts for many MoPars, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks are not as plentiful as parts for Studebakers.

3. "FAMOUS" MODELS...50-51 cars, Hawks, 53-54 Starliners and Starlights, supercharged cars, and Avantis, are all generally well known by "car guys". Although some of us gravitate to the more common Studes, the cars listed are the ones that are and will be remembered. Trying to interest someone in a '52 Land Cruiser is very different than the crowd reaction to a Golden Hawk going across the auction stage.

4. CUSTOM AND MODIFIED CARS...Quite frankly, this is the future of the hobby and maybe the future of SDC. I think back on my Model A days. Back then there were more stock Model A's than hot rods. Not today. Same with 36-40 Fords. I can't remember seeing many (if any) stockers recently but I I've see literally hundreds of modified ones in the last year. When was the last time you saw a 50 Mercury with a full height roof? Even 60's muscle cars that everyone was "restoring" several years ago are now being done as "pro street" or "G machines". The one common element I can see over the years in the car hobby is custom and modified cars. Restoring cars works for the age group that knew them when they were new. Custom and modified cars seem to be a much longer lasting part of the car hobby.
                    Probably one of the most well written and spot on post about this subject. I would also add, accept the fact, that as you recuit younger people into the fold, accept the fact that they have children, and welcome them to events as well.

Comment

just wondering about the math: I'm guessing for every new old car enthusiast......3-5 old timers die off. Look at all the chapters....look at this site. Every other week some old timer dies. We might get a newbie who's fishing for parts or value, but if you check the postings, many of them have the car up for sale in short order.....And they usually have other cars that require attention......And this info is coming from the net which has roughly a 40:1 ratio of younger to older enthusiasts.....just rough math.....

and just to be a bit sacriligeous: whats wrong with not being interested in a car club that goes to modified ??? Put the shoe on the other foot. What if I don't give a mouse's butt about a bowtie engine or ovesized tires or upgraded brakes or rear axles....? Maybe I lose interest in the marque and choose another or drop out of the hobby al together......Am I a bad guy ? Who's to say ?
                      Last edited by jackb; 01-25-2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

I appreciate modified cars if they are tastefully done. According to my taste. Some folks can make a mess out of a mod and some put a lot of forethought into them. Saw a 53 chevy truck the other day with a nice cab and what resembled an oversized out house from the 30's mounted in place of the bed. Are you chittin' me. cheers jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Simple All members who have hoarded away 5 plus desirable cars give one away with the condition they join SDC. In one week problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
                            Simple All members who have hoarded away 5 plus desirable cars give one away with the condition they join SDC. In one week problem solved.
                            Sounds like a 20% tax....

As long as there are Studebakers on the road, the club will be in good shape. The fact it's an orphan and there aren't marque "experts" on every corner bodes well for the club.
                            Simply, if you have a Camaro or Mustang, you can rebuild/restore it without club support (indeed, what percentage of Mustang owners are in a club versus the percentage of Avanti owners in SDC or AOAI?).
                            The club provides a very real and necessary service for members. This forum is a great example.

It needs to keep doing what has made it a success while keeping up with outreach efforts to new and younger members.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I agree with many of the comments. I do not think it is dying. Declining maybe. But not dying. I think one of the best things we can all do is be visible, be educational, be generous, and be accepting.

Be visible in that go to all kinds of cruise nights, car shows, and meets. drive it regularly and has been stated, give yourself a few extra minutes to offer info to the inquisitive.
                              Be educational in the same way, offer info, rides, explanations and a bit of history if it is applicable and interesting.
                              Be generous in not only offering info, most important is th einfo and educational help, but on anything you don't want or need, throw it out there. I am NOT suggesting anyone just give their stuff away. But some of you are hoarders. Admit it. Do you have 2 or 3 cars or trucks you will like NEVER get to rebuild or restore that are just deteriorating in the yard? You got it cheap or free and it is daily dissolving to no ones avail? A car or a shop full of parts that will probably die with you and get sent to a scrap yard?
                              Don't do it. Sell it. There are kids all over the place who want a project car. Some cool little hot rod. We MUST accept modified cars! The by laws of the site and club clearly say that while we "encourage"
                              Stude power, any Stude on the road is better than a Stude in a crusher.

I started my truck with the intent of dropping the cab on another chassis and making a modern powered driver, but because of the generosity and help of a number of folks here, I now have a Stude powered and Stude drivelined 2R10. MODIFIED YES, but still ALL Stude. I have gotten some grief for even those choices, but more support than grief. I think it is GREAT if you like an all OE car and show quality at that. But STOP being so critical and degrading to those who make different choices. Their are FAR more modified early big 3 cars out there than OE show cars. Let there be more Studes mods as well.
                              Modifieds will not ruin the brand, they will build interest and keep the brand out there and interesting to more people. I think as we age we naturally bend toward the nostalgic and original things. Let us younger folks build a cool cruiser out of a Lark or truck and fall in love with the brand, I assure you as we age we will build an OE car at some point.

So being generous and accepting can work together. I had some very supportive accepting folks of my project, who later became generous in offering some freebies and some other great deals on stuff, and because of those things together, I am building a Stude powered Stude. Those Generous people did not judge or criticize, they just kindly offered me an alternative that I happily accepted.

I think the club and the website has all of the pieces of the puzzle in place, it just takes a little effort and my 4 idea points and we can keep things going, growing maybe not, but going yes.
                              We have a number of young guys on the site including a mix of teens, 20s, 30s, 40s and up. You 60s, 70s and up folks-KEEP posting the great help you already do. As us 40s and 50s learn that stuff we will pass it to the 20s and 30s and so on.

Couple that with the already VERY knowledgeable youngsters we have here like Matt B, Chris D and others just to name a few there is hope. That school teacher build cars in a shop class and one being a Stude wagon...good on you. Keep it up.

Comment

I have really enjoyed this topic. Due to my not owning a Stude quite yet, I only pop in here from time to time, but I may finally be purchasing my 1950 Commander Starlight coupe soon, so I thought I would add my two cents. I am in my 30s and attend local shows quite a bit -- I know they must be out there, but I have yet to see any Studebakers in my area (north Texas). Hopefully, I will be able to spread the word by driving my Stude around and exposing people to the marque who may have never seen one. I plan to keep the car mostly stock, but I do want to add some vintage styled aluminum rims and maybe add an underdash a/c unit -- nothing radical.

And by the way, the reason I have yet to purchase my Stude is the fact that I am only "allowed" one classic car, and I have been trying the past year or so to sell my 66 Mustang GT fastback, but the market really has been soft. This past month though, I have already had three people "somewhat" interested, so I think I am getting close to sealing the deal. As much as I have enjoyed the Mustang for 10 plus years, I can not wait to own a 50 Commander. I love the design and can't believe my luck in finding such a nice example up for sale. I hope to bug you guys with questions a lot more in the coming months!
                                sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                                Regal Deluxe Trim
                                Automatic transmission
                                46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X