57 GH on Barrett-Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 GH on Barrett-Jackson

$135,000? That should make my 60 Hawk worth AT LEAST $50,000......yeah right. Sucker born every minute.
    Last edited by StudHawk60; 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM.

Yeah,

Sitting here typing a report with the set on over in the corner. Heard the commentator talking about it before it went up on the block state that 1958 was the last year Hawks were made. Actuallys stopped typing long enough to turn around to see which so-called automotive "expert" said that.

Have to admit, it is amazing what prices they command at that show. If you were to look at that G.H. alongside lots of others you'd be hard-pressed to understand it.

Added note: Just checked. With the buyer's premium, the guy who bought that G.H. actually paid $148,500. Whew!
    Last edited by hausdok; 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

gee whiz...
      i may have to take the "finned hawk" off my top 5 list of the next stude i plan to buy!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

It was gold & white, we all know that was the only color they came in. The car looked to be very well done, and showed very well. I always hear that Studebakers would never bring the dollars of th big three, two years in a row Studebaker has, the 1958 corvette just before it brought $80,000.00.

I smile every time a Studebaker brings the big dollars, it does affect the value of all of our cars.
        It is an addiction!

Comment

Yes it was a nice car, and to give the annoucer a break he most likely was just reading what someone put in his hand and meant to say that 58 was the last Golden Hawk. <g>
          Last edited by 2R5; 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I'd love to have a GH ( a '58), but I would definately have to paint it anything but gold.....too many of them are already gold.

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
              It was gold & white, we all know that was the only color they came in. The car looked to be very well done, and showed very well. I always hear that Studebakers would never bring the dollars of th big three, two years in a row Studebaker has, the 1958 corvette just before it brought $80,000.00.

I smile every time a Studebaker brings the big dollars, it does affect the value of all of our cars.
              Just give me a heads up when your 56J goes on the market.. I'd rather mourn the loss sooner than later.

Comment

Well worth it! Joe, Nancy's 1956 GH is nicer than that 1957.
                Richard
                The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

My 56J is always "on the market"! All it takes is half of what the 57 brought today, it will happen......

The question Matt is which do you want to write, the sale ad or the story of it being gone?
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

If you gentlemen believe that price was legit .....then you have lead a very sheltered life.

Comment

mike super, what do you mean? Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                        If you gentlemen believe that price was legit .....then you have lead a very sheltered life.
                        Mike

While mine has not been severely sheltered, I'm an rank amateur on auto auctions and while I know BJ and the other houses can bid on the cars to raise the price, are there other things they can do?

Bob

Comment

Yes please do explain, this is the second year in a row a 57 GH has benn sold there, I know they have been investigated before. I also know some sales are not completed, but please tell us why a company would risk fraud on a Studebaker selling price.

Now it could be shill bidder, but why on a Studebaker? Several people on here probably know that car. Also there would be both the buyer and sellers premium still owed, by my tall that would be between 30 -40k.

Looking forward to how it happened?
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                            My 56J is always "on the market"! All it takes is half of what the 57 brought today, it will happen......

The question Matt is which do you want to write, the sale ad or the story of it being gone?
                            If you get serious, I'll gladly write the ad. But wait until South Bend, I think I need another test drive.

Comment

Anyone know the history of the car? How nice was it?
                              I read it was Conway Twitty's?

The 57 GH is my favorite Hawk...something to do with my first Corgi toy, a chrome gold Golden Hawk.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X